PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-12-2018, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 261.1 KB
Am I having fun yet?
When do I actually get to build this model?

Actually, I am having fun. I found another document that provided actual frame locations to the centermeter. The document cost me some cash, but it is an interesting read. Part of the research fun and cost of the model.

Using InkScape, I redrew my parts. I feel confident that I now have a very accurate 1:15 scale rendering.

The images you see are my current locations of parts for the crew compartment.

Red bars are the butt straps.
Black are the actual frames.
Gray is the entire hull.
Yellow is the expansion strake with the actual (green) rivet locations in that section.
Blue shows the top and bottom boiler plates.

Think of the Hunley as a boiler cut in half with the expansion strake joining both halves to make enough room inside for 8 men to operate hand cranks.

Next step is to build a jig for holding the frames in place as I glue on the boiler plates.
Attached Thumbnails
C.S.S. Hunley Scratch Build-small-export.jpg   C.S.S. Hunley Scratch Build-small-export-long.jpg  
Old 04-16-2018, 05:54 PM

Got all the frames, quarter plates, butt joints, bow and stern castings where they belong. Laying out paper on a piece of wood to lay the keel.
Attached Thumbnails
C.S.S. Hunley Scratch Build-screenshot-2018-04-16-17-49-59.jpg  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:11 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
You're off to a very impressive start Harry. Have you collected all the information you need to draw the Hunley?
Old 04-16-2018, 09:50 PM

Hi Elliott,

I believe I have enough information to complete a first pass drawing and build.
Details are still emerging on the Hunley. I can't count all the rivets yet, but they are not an issue at this time. So far, I'm confident I have a very accurate port side view down to the centimeter. To my knowledge, this will be the most accurate model to date. What I mean by that is this model will have all the components. It won't just be a painted seamless hull. It will have all the hull plates, water ports, windows, etc. in place.

Without actual blueprints from the X-Ray and laser scans, this will have to do. As I learn more, I will modify my model. But, like I said this will be one of a kind. I'm very excited I have found so much information.

I wish I was up to speed on 3-D rendering. So far it's all isometric in InkScape. I just downloaded Blender and I may give that a shot if I can find the time.

I wish I could go to the Hunley and take photgraphs of the details I really need. I will need to be patient.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:04 AM

The nice thing about scratch build is the infinite options. The bad thing about scratch build is the infinite options.

I decided to work on the bow and stern castings. I'm trying to design the strongest and easiest method to model the shape of an axe blade. I really feel for airplane modelers striving for a perfect wing cross-section.

These are still practice runs. The castings start wide and narrow down to almost a knife edge. So I'm looking to add internal rib support to get that perfect shape. What I'm finding is that I'm having best luck by scoring the back side of the card stock and fold up the rib section and then support with cross sections of card. I think this will work for me. The top and bottom will be curved by rolling the card tightly and then glueing to left and right halves joined together to make a whole casting, and then wrapped from from bow to stern to hide the ribs. It's hard to explain, but I know what I'm after. Tacky Glue not working well here. Back to white glue as it works better in very small amounts and flows better into the small areas that need it. Making progress.
Attached Thumbnails
C.S.S. Hunley Scratch Build-img_20180418_160531409.jpg   C.S.S. Hunley Scratch Build-img_20180418_194712344.jpg   C.S.S. Hunley Scratch Build-img_20180419_103921636.jpg  

Last edited by Fizbi; 04-19-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: fat fingers
Google Adsense
Old 04-19-2018, 02:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
If you are looking for a new glue, you might try this one. I found it in an art shop for under $3. A very thin coat is all you need and it works well edge to edge also. It sets in 40 to 60 seconds (depending on how thick a coat you are using.
Attached Thumbnails
C.S.S. Hunley Scratch Build-20161128_212214.jpg  
Old 04-19-2018, 03:12 PM

Thanks, I'll look for that. I may have to order it as my local stores are rather limited.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:05 AM

Working at the speed of super glue. I have finally decided that super glue is my weapon of construction. I really like the Gorilla glues. The super glue, and super glue gel with brush applicator work exactly the way I like. I use the Gorilla wood glue sparingly.

I'm just not happy using white, brown, or tacky glues. They warp the paper and take too long to set. I use flush wire nippers to trim excess paper as it is safer than using scissors or deadly x-acto blades. Any rough edges are cleaned up using a sandpaper fingernail file. Cleans up nice.

Tried a couple more runs on the bow casting and finally like my latest design. I got the exact curves and knife edge I was hoping for.

Stern casting next.

(Note to myself...working late at night injects mistakes. Shown measurements are cetimeters, not millimeters!)
Attached Thumbnails
C.S.S. Hunley Scratch Build-img_20180419_103921636.jpg   C.S.S. Hunley Scratch Build-img_20180424_222542033_hdr.jpg   C.S.S. Hunley Scratch Build-img_20180424_223446063_hdr.jpg   C.S.S. Hunley Scratch Build-img_20180424_223829431_hdr.jpg   C.S.S. Hunley Scratch Build-img_20180424_224959455_hdr.jpg  

C.S.S. Hunley Scratch Build-img_20180428_002832666_hdr.jpg   C.S.S. Hunley Scratch Build-img_20180428_003418189.jpg   C.S.S. Hunley Scratch Build-img_20180428_005344186_hdr.jpg   C.S.S. Hunley Scratch Build-img_20180428_010255559.jpg  

Last edited by Fizbi; 04-28-2018 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Note.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:43 PM

Still at it. I may not be retired enough yet, but still at it as I been fighting off distractions. Wife broke her foot, that didn't help any. Poor thing.

So, I been working on the stern and studying available photographs. I've decided to add a working propeller cause I like self abuse. I also want to add the control rod for rudder steering. Not sure if I should cut a slot for brass tubing or just sandwich the tube between the port and starbord halves.

Maybe folks have suggections.
Attached Thumbnails
C.S.S. Hunley Scratch Build-stern1.jpg  
Old 08-03-2018, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.13 MB
Visit the website Friends of the Hunley for some great info and pics of the Hunley as it undergoes restoration. btw: the Hunley was a privateer, was seized by CSN and was never commissioned by the Confederate Navy, thus C.S.S. Is not appropriate. I’m anxious to see your progress on this ambitious project! Regards, Monty
Google Adsense

Tags
civil war, hunley, submarine