PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-31-2009, 01:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Papercut, thanks for the knife suggestion. I'll probably us a #11 to cut out the slits, but for the overall shape, the knife you suggest would be better to grip and save on blades.

No problem pointing out the detail thing. These threads are for discussion of the topic and the input and heads -ups are appreciated.

Below are pics of the hang-up on progressing faster on the sub build. Had to finish this for the E-CardModels Marek Marathon. Just a few bits to add.
Other hold up is my mom was admitted to the hospital this week and now is on to rehab for a few weeks.

Should start posting pics next week as I star with the subs front third frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Kookliks 1/72 U-Boat Type VII C North Sea Camo - Dave Winfield Repaint-img_6359a.jpg   Kookliks 1/72 U-Boat Type VII C North Sea Camo - Dave Winfield Repaint-img_6363a.jpg  
Old 07-31-2009, 02:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hope you mother gets well soon. We will keep her in our prayers. Like the bird, clean build, have this one too. After seeing this, can not wait to see what you do w/the sub.:DRick
Old 08-03-2009, 11:57 AM

Papercut, thanks. Mom's doing much better!

I've got the first formers pasted up. I used standard artist illustration board and laminated to double thickness. This will make strong formers with a good width.

I was considering filling the former gaps with foam and sanding to shape. However, I am probably going to be using 100# bristol for the stock and that has a lot of body.
Other possibility will be to skin the formers with tissue (like basla airplanes) and wetting it to tighten it up, then skinning with the printed parts. I think the idea has merit but still thinking about it.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:20 PM

I've received some great suggestions and help from Mark T. (eibwarrior). He had the great build thread on the 1:100 Arizona, here:
Digital Navy USS Arizona 1/100
If you haven't seen it, you must. The very start of the Arizona can be found over at Zealot.
Even though I always build up-scaled, it was/is Marks 1:100 Arizona that convinced me to build this at a super-display size.

I was looking at a 100# Strathmore bristol as the stock. Mark suggest the 903 Strathmore bristol with the smooth finish.
Think the 90# will be much better. I did think the 100# was a little thick. I can get that large enough to cut down to 13" x 19".
Old 08-03-2009, 05:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
Papercut, thanks. Mom's doing much better!

I've got the first formers pasted up. I used standard artist illustration board and laminated to double thickness. This will make strong formers with a good width.

I was considering filling the former gaps with foam and sanding to shape. However, I am probably going to be using 100# bristol for the stock and that has a lot of body.
Other possibility will be to skin the formers with tissue (like basla airplanes) and wetting it to tighten it up, then skinning with the printed parts. I think the idea has merit but still thinking about it.
Hot dog, something old, but new for paper modeler's. Great idea since this is a monster in size. I do have a suggestion if you go this route, use glue sticks to attach the tissue. This was a old trick used while building those extra lite flyers. Wipe glue onto former,apply tissue dry using paint thinner to reactivate glue as needed, let set-up, mist lightly w/H2o and you end up with a skin, tight fit. Then I would use the same method for skinning by using the glue from a glue stick applied w/a brush after thinning with paint thinner. Apply lightly and let dry. I will watch with interest no matter how you apply. I have thought about this frame/keel and I will go a different route as well. I will build frame as one unit all at once, then use balsa to rib out shape, cover with light ply paper, then skin. I do not want the starved look of ribs showing.:DRick
Google Adsense
Old 08-03-2009, 05:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB
Thanks for the kind words jagolden. I'm glad I could help.

Building at this size is definitely experimental, uncharted waters. We're each other's best reference in any case, but upscale for sure.

I can't wait to see some updates on your work.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:30 AM

Small Start

I have to post some progress, small as it is.

This is 35 minutes of cutting! However, I did learn a lot from just these two pieces as to how to cut the rest of the formers.

These are 1/8" thick so they are beefy. Hard to cut but will make for a very sturdy frame.

The two pieces are dry fit as I have to open the slots on the vertical former a little bit wider.

I'm referencing Old Troll's thread of his build of this sub when it was originally released.
Attached Thumbnails
Kookliks 1/72 U-Boat Type VII C North Sea Camo - Dave Winfield Repaint-1-img_6364.jpg   Kookliks 1/72 U-Boat Type VII C North Sea Camo - Dave Winfield Repaint-2-img_6366.jpg  
Old 08-05-2009, 11:30 AM

Looks great. Nice start. I know the pains of cutting this thick former material. I have a suggestion. After wearing out multiple utility knife blades and wearing out my hands, I found these:

They are heavy duty utility scissors for cutting vinyl flooring and the like. Very powerful, and very sharp with serrated edges. They made quick work of the 2 mm card and I suspect they'll handle the 1/8" stuff too. You can pick these up at any Wal-Mart or home improvement store in the flooring section or tool section. Just ask for vinyl flooring scissors.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 AM

Those look useful! I did pick up another cutter with the snap-off blades. It is somewhat useful but still gobs of work. Other than saving on #11 blades it's still a workout on my hands.

If I can use this type of cutter you show on the slots, that would be a huge help.

Will have the front 1/4 frame completed tomorrow night. I've been saying front third but today realized it's front 1/4!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:54 PM

jagolden, it makes quick work of the slots too. My hands didn't ache afterwards either. Bascially, it's so sharp and spring-loaded that it slices through thick card material like standard scissors through paper. It's that easy.

If I remember correctly, they were about $7 or there abouts. Well worth the investment considering the time saved and hand cramps. In addition, I've used them around the house to snip all kinds of stuff too.

Can't wait to see your next update. Upscale builds are so cool!
Google Adsense