PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-20-2018, 01:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Test fit of the two-piece hull (stern section) seems to look ok. I might glue all of it together, and to the rear deck and slide it over the sub-structure complete:

Strange the stern doesn’t match the frame at all, but I’m only bothered about the fit on the outside so it’s fine:

Old 04-25-2018, 08:50 AM

A few more pieces of the hull jigsaw puzzle:

Old 04-25-2018, 02:25 PM

One thing that can spoil a paper model is white visible on the edges of coloured parts. It’s usually neater to paint all edges and visible sub-structure before assembly. That’s been tonight’s job on the hull:

Old 04-25-2018, 02:42 PM

One disadvantage of using pva glue is that it can warp the larger, unsupported edges. I’ve straightened some of the more critical deck and bulkhead edges with balsa strip:

These anchor housings fit behind the hull sides. Good job I spotted them at this stage - they’re not mentioned in the instructions...
Old 04-25-2018, 05:26 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
This is a well known kit from HMV.
Looking forward to your work.
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 04-25-2018, 08:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Outstanding work so far on this historic ship.

Don
Old 04-26-2018, 02:29 PM

I'm so looking forward to your building report. Have this kit in my stash too and hoping one day will get around to build it myself.

With your meticulous approach and skill I'm sure this could become a great resource for many young initiated who could learn great deal of new methods how to master beautiful paper ship building.

Not sure what type of glue you prefer but in my opinion with these HMV models, whenever you have tabs you couldn't miss with a rubber cement. It's perfect because it won't wrinkle paper at all. Here in Canada we have Elmer's Rubber Cement and I love it for larger surfaces. Just don't use it when edge to edge is required.

Darius
Old 04-27-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLab View Post
I'm so looking forward to your building report. Have this kit in my stash too and hoping one day will get around to build it myself.

With your meticulous approach and skill I'm sure this could become a great resource for many young initiated who could learn great deal of new methods how to master beautiful paper ship building.

Not sure what type of glue you prefer but in my opinion with these HMV models, whenever you have tabs you couldn't miss with a rubber cement. It's perfect because it won't wrinkle paper at all. Here in Canada we have Elmer's Rubber Cement and I love it for larger surfaces. Just don't use it when edge to edge is required.

Darius
Thanks for the kind words!

Elmers rubber cement? I’ll do some research today and see if I can get some, or equivalent. I wonder if a type of Gorrila glue is similar?

Ideally something that doesn’t warp paper, and gives some scope for adjustment for A few minutes before it ‘grabs’ would be perfect.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drg View Post
Thanks for the kind words!

Elmers rubber cement? I’ll do some research today and see if I can get some, or equivalent. I wonder if a type of Gorrila glue is similar?

Ideally something that doesn’t warp paper, and gives some scope for adjustment for A few minutes before it ‘grabs’ would be perfect.
ETA - I just ordered some Elmer's rubber glue from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:09 PM

Gorilla glue is not good for type of paper we are working with. I would advise against it.

With Elmers when they suggest applying to both surfaces, take it seriously. One side will work too but with passing time you might experience separations. I'm a bit paranoid so even when applying adhesive to both sides, after it cures, I like a drop or two of cyanoacrylate but only to those tab sections that won't be visible after model is completed.

I've heard that in Germany everybody is using Kittifix but I have no idea what kind of glue this is. UHU All Purpose Adhesive is also a decent type except on larger surfaces and when assembling hull sections it might produce deformations so cautious approach is advised...