PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-13-2018, 06:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks good just as done. I thinking doubling the panels would be a distraction.
Looking forward too more. The funnel work left my jaw on the floor. Thanks for all tips.
Rick
Old 12-19-2018, 04:41 PM

Quick question - I’ve been working on the masts, and the rear is taller than the front. According to the instructions, this is correct, but in some plans Ive seen, they are the same height. Which is correct? Thanks!
Old 12-19-2018, 06:23 PM

The same height, at least in this fit. Perhaps changes were made later?

This is about as broadside-on as one can get

Old 12-20-2018, 02:57 AM

This is the only image I can find where they are different - and they are really different!

Is this a photograph, or some kind of painting or drawing - it's difficult to tell?

I prefer the look of the masts being equal TBH, but shortening the rear will mean cutting just above the searchlight platform and adding a sleeve. I think the stiffening wire will prevent me from using an internal spigot. I'll need to remove about 10mm, but then all the arms and platforms will be at the same height.

This one is fighting all the way!
Old 12-20-2018, 04:37 AM

Could the mast(s) have been telescopic, in order to pass under bridges I wonder? That would explain the different heights in different images. Not sure how it would work with the rigging though.
Google Adsense
Old 12-20-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drg View Post
Could the mast(s) have been telescopic, in order to pass under bridges I wonder? That would explain the different heights in different images. Not sure how it would work with the rigging though.
That probably it. Most of the German heavies had telescoping masts.

Here is Dresden passing under the Levensau High Bridge with masts dropped.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:34 AM

And just for fun, the mainmast on Tirpitz was often retracted while she was hiding in Norway

Old 12-20-2018, 11:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 872.31 MB
Just a thought... the image at 194 is taken from the starboard quarter; the funnels are shown in perspective, the funnels appear smaller from aft to forward, and the waterline rises from aft to forward. If you take a line from the aft masthead through the forward masthead, you get a perspective line sloping down which meets the funnel line somewhere in front of the bows. I guess that if someone prints the image off and joins those perspective lines, you may find that they meet at a vanishing point. Artists will know what I mean! If they do join it means that the 2 masts are the same height after all. I’ll try it when my printer is behaving itself!
Old 12-20-2018, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. The perspective on the 194 image is odd - looks more exaggerated than it should be given the slight offset from normal of the ship (judging by the mast spare). The vanishing points don’t seem far off even though the rear mast looks disproportionately tall.

Decision made - I’m going to cut and splice the rear mast shorter. My OCD wouldn’t allow non-parallel rigging. If they were indeed telescopic, then it would be right as well.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:49 PM

Sometimes we just have to make a decision and go with it. I can think of numerous times where I’ve had to compromise due to lack of information or sources.

I’m not sure how I’m going to build my masts yet, probably even. Either way, I’m excited to see how yours turn out!
Google Adsense