PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-22-2018, 06:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
On to the davits. They are included in the laser-cut set, with some detail bits to stick on:

The add-ons looked a bit crude to my eyes, and they only attach to one side of each arm. I decided to cut out the much thinner paper versions of the eye doublers and end pulleys, paint the edges black and stick them on to both sides of each arm:

The now surplus eyelet doublers will make great padeyes for where my elastic rigging meets the deck.

Also punched some thin card feet for the davits which will hopefully make them easier to place:

Finished:

Only another 12 to go...
Old 12-22-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER FAN View Post
looks great. Model is superb.

Thanks PF - much appreciated!
Old 12-22-2018, 08:35 PM

I’m almost to the davit stage myself, this is going to look awesome when you’re done!

Are you planning your next build?
Old 12-23-2018, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird View Post
I’m almost to the davit stage myself, this is going to look awesome when you’re done!

Are you planning your next build?
Still a way to go, especially with the boats and rigging. I have got some time allocated to it this holiday though.

I’ve got a few plastic models to concentrate on after this. I’ll probably wait until another trip to the Maritime Museum in Hamburg next April before I get another paper ship. It’ll probably be something smaller, with no joints in the hull sides.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:22 PM

o that’s all 16 davits assembled and fitted. The pulleys and lines that support the boats are going to be a nightmare.

Google Adsense
Old 12-24-2018, 01:15 PM

For rigging, I might suggest you use Modelkasten rigging wire. It’s a tungsten monofilament with no memory, so rigging those paper masts will be a walk in the park, not to mention the boat handling gear.

Since the masts are paper, and the rigging wire is, well, WIRE, it’s going to strengthen your masts since it won’t be in tension. Just like the real standing rigging, it’ll support everything, not mention give that realistic sag on the radio aerials between the masts.

Here is an example of what I did with Modelkasten in 1/700 on my SMS Derfflinger:

I recently tried EZ line on my 2 previous card models figuring I’d try to cut costs a bit, but with rigging, good results require a professional solution. For me, the results are cheap at any price.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:17 PM

Thanks - I saw you refer to it previously and had a look. On the Corvette I used stretched sprue for the mast guy ropes (or whatever they’re called on a ship), and lightly stretched EZ line between them. That way, the sprue was in tension, preventing the masts from bending, and the elastic line could be stretched enough to give the right sag.

Not sure if that method will work on this one, so thin wire might be required in some places. Where can I get it?

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:10 PM

BNA out of Australia should be able to get it to you in a reasonable amount of time. It’s great stuff!
Old 01-04-2019, 11:01 AM

You guys, and I mean drg and Speedbird, just killing with your models. Beautiful job and great learning for the rest of us. If you'd like to add some extras there is a great 1/100 scale scratchbuild model of SMS Emden by Peter Gunther Huff. He also published book and set of 1/100 scale drawings.
I wish I could find high-res photos of his model but so far only those few here.

Happy 2019 to All.

Darius
Old 01-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLab View Post
You guys, and I mean drg and Speedbird, just killing with your models. Beautiful job and great learning for the rest of us. If you'd like to add some extras there is a great 1/100 scale scratchbuild model of SMS Emden by Peter Gunther Huff. He also published book and set of 1/100 scale drawings.
I wish I could find high-res photos of his model but so far only those few here.

Happy 2019 to All.

Darius
Thanks Darius - it’s a help being able to bounce questions and ideas off Speedbird!
I’ve actually used PGH’s model as a reference - thanks for that.

Happy new year!
Google Adsense