PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-08-2018, 05:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaud View Post
I have next to me a stack of usual paper, rated 90 grams per square meter, that is still rather thin, just slightly over what we use usually to write or others common tasks, and the 500 sheets rise up to 50 mm, that is, consequently, 0,1 mm per sheet.
It seems to me that the HMV paper weight 180 grams per square meter, twice the paper I speak about, the thickness coud so be around 0,2 mm, more or less, depending of the stuff it is made of and the manufacturing process.
It may well be a bit thicker than 0.1, but even so, a scarff joint on paper that thick is beyond my skills.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 57.46 MB
I'm not sure what the difference in the rubber cement is. My guess is that if they write "craft" on it they can charge more.

I've noticed this with boating supplies. Anything labelled "marine" gets a higher price even if its an ordinary item that's found in any hardware store and repackaged.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:06 PM

On to the bow section, and it's even more complex than the stern, being linked side-to side with a curved upper deck bulkhead:

I'm in the process of temporarily taping, then tacking various key points with PVA. Once complete, It'll hopefully slip over the substructre in the same way as the stern, leaving just the flat sides to add.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:44 PM

Bow, stern and sides fitted, but as expected, it's like Frankenstein's monster underneath. They never seem to conorm properly to the sub structure. Still some fettling to do:

Does anyone have a mid-length section through the hull of the Emden - I wonder if the sides are meant to angle inwards slightly above the waterline?
Old 05-13-2018, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Looks good, pictures typical of viewing range. Only you know the issues like all of us.
Must admit the method you use is not usual and seems more complex, if the fit is off due to undersize conditions I fear you wouldn't be able to fit over the frame. This method is tricky, but your outcome looks great.
I do personally prefer the more traditional eggcrate construction of angry, com, etc.
Google Adsense
Old 05-14-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER FAN View Post
Looks good, pictures typical of viewing range. Only you know the issues like all of us.
Must admit the method you use is not usual and seems more complex, if the fit is off due to undersize conditions I fear you wouldn't be able to fit over the frame. This method is tricky, but your outcome looks great.
I do personally prefer the more traditional eggcrate construction of angry, com, etc.

Thanks - I usually judge the success of something by asking myself if I could do it better if I started again. In this case, I think the answer is "no". Despite it being far from perfect, I think I'd possibly end up correcting some aspects, but making others worse.

My next task will hopefully be to glue it to a base, to eliminate the need for manually handling (and squashing) the hull.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'typical viewing range' and 'angry, com' etc?
Old 05-14-2018, 11:53 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by drg View Post
... I'm not sure what you mean by 'typical viewing range' and 'angry, com' etc?

Wondering that myself ...
Old 05-14-2018, 11:59 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
viewing range = distance from the subject when the picture was taken, nothing up close and detailed, to see any errors

angry,com probably refers to the angraf/answer website, and more than like a typo, and not caught before posting
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 05-14-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
viewing range = distance from the subject when the picture was taken, nothing up close and detailed, to see any errors

angry,com probably refers to the angraf/answer website, and more than like a typo, and not caught before posting
That makes sense now, thanks.

Once the hull is complete, and stuck to a base, I’ll post some more detailed images for critique.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Angry, com is my phone auto correct for eggcrate.

Thanks rickstef perfect definition. The hull is beautiful and expect the ship will be a masterpiece.
Google Adsense