PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-16-2018, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Yes I asked about Emden paper thickness because while watching your hull coming together so nicely I was wandering what was your impression about working with it. I always felt that, although of very high quality and very effective when building details and superstructures, it made me rather insecure while attempting hull assembly.

I love general idea of putting together entire hull without necessity of laminating parts on thick cardboard. It saves time, is neat and offers very simple work flow but for my taste such made hull is less rigid than I would like.

Perfect solution, in my modeling universe, would be to print internal hull elements on something like .25 mm thick almost bristol type of paper while keeping current stock for all the rest...

Darius
Old 06-18-2018, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLab View Post
Yes I asked about Emden paper thickness because while watching your hull coming together so nicely I was wandering what was your impression about working with it. I always felt that, although of very high quality and very effective when building details and superstructures, it made me rather insecure while attempting hull assembly.

I love general idea of putting together entire hull without necessity of laminating parts on thick cardboard. It saves time, is neat and offers very simple work flow but for my taste such made hull is less rigid than I would like.

Perfect solution, in my modeling universe, would be to print internal hull elements on something like .25 mm thick almost bristol type of paper while keeping current stock for all the rest...

Darius

I think that one obvious improvement would be to have the entire hull sub-structure laser-cut out of the the thicker card (maybe it's 0.25mm), so that accuracy is ensured. So you assemble it dry and once together you paint pva along the joints. You could even have laser-cut temporary jigs for things like upper hull sides or decks, which you add only to ensure alignment; these would correspond precisely to the printed parts that would eventually be substituted.

Then apply thin strips of normal thickness paper as spreader pieces perpendicular to all the outer edges - this would give a wider seating for glue, and reduce any distortion of the hull sides.

Then apply the hull sides after pre-glueing any significant chine details.

Some tiny datum marks laser-cut into the extreme edges of the sub-structre, with corresponding ones printed on the hull sides might not go amiss either.

If you can reduce builder induced error by having a self-jigging, laser cut sub-structure, then you should be able to design the hull sides to be an easier fit I'd have thought.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:34 AM

I agree with your comments entirely. These days when models being designed using CAD software adding interlocking mechanism to internal structures for perfect fit seems like a good policy and laser cutting would assure precision assembly so critical in the early stages. Most skillful amongst us can handle almost anything you throw at them but it doesn't mean that each commercial kit should be aimed at those few privileged ones. Model is good when an average Joe finds it pleasurable to build... and speaking from a designer point of view that is much harder to accomplish in the real life than producing yet another super detailed and super complicated kit....

Darius
Old 06-20-2018, 02:37 PM

Fitted the raised details on the deck house sides:

Not sure what these stacks are - maybe air intakes for the boilers or something? The part numbering is all over the place, but reference to the pictures in the instructions makes it clearer as to what fits where:

Whatever they are, they’re fitted now:

Old 06-20-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLab View Post
I agree with your comments entirely. These days when models being designed using CAD software adding interlocking mechanism to internal structures for perfect fit seems like a good policy and laser cutting would assure precision assembly so critical in the early stages. Most skillful amongst us can handle almost anything you throw at them but it doesn't mean that each commercial kit should be aimed at those few privileged ones. Model is good when an average Joe finds it pleasurable to build... and speaking from a designer point of view that is much harder to accomplish in the real life than producing yet another super detailed and super complicated kit....

Darius

I think the more laser-cut parts, the better!

I wonder how many paper models get bought (or started) but never finished?
Google Adsense
Old 06-21-2018, 01:42 AM

Hi everybody, just stumbled across this thread. Awesome! This looks like it's going to be another incredible build from you!

The glue question: Yes, we talked about glue in Telford, I remember. When I built my first models about 40 years ago I only had UHU. Somehow the German card model community stuck to that for decades. Today I still use it for framework, doubling over and big parts. For small parts it is Kittifix as someone mentioned. It's a reasonable good PVA made for paper modelling. Would not recommend it for big parts because it is water based. But there are quite a few good glues around and the main question is if you can work with it.

HMV paper is 170 grams per square meter. Thickness should be between 0,15 and 0.16 mm.

Yes, the hull slightly bends inwards in mid section. It seems that Peter didn't keep the scans of the plans he used. I somewhere have the originals in my archive. But I remember that vividly as I was wondering, too.

Oh, well the lines. Of course we don't need them anymore in this way. And there would be much better ways to do it. But as already mentioned this is part of the heritage, too. So what we do today is hide the lines wherever possible. Meaning I put the lines next to the parts for example when it comes to scoring and folding. And with the lines for marking I found it useful to make the surface for the part a little bit smaller - something like 0.2-0.5 mm. It's easy to hide the lines under the part then.

Emden was first published in 1997... Quite a bit was changed when we did the latest reprint in 2011. But probably not these details.

I hope you keep enjoying this build. I will certainly follow this thread.

Cheers
Ben
Old 06-21-2018, 02:19 PM

Thanks Ben!

I’m glad you mentioned that German builders stuck to UHU - it is after all pretty strong.

Anyway, yes I’m enjoying the build. A few minor blips in the instructions, but nothing that can’t be figured out.

I’m looking forward to the rigging, because I think that’ll really make it special. I’m not looking forward to buying a display case though - won’t be cheap!

Have you thought of selling wooden bases and cases specific to a particular model? Engraved brass name plates would be a nice touch too.

So, before I make any more crazy business suggestions, I’ll get back to work. It’s my birthday tomorrow so I’ve taken the day off work to indulge in an uninterrupted modelling session (at least until 15:00 when the kids finish school!).

Cheers!
Old 06-22-2018, 05:50 AM

I think these pillars with domed covers on top may be range finders or something like that. The diagram appears to show an extra piece for the covers. I assume they just meet in the middle, and fold down on each side:

I added some pivot covers from punched paper to neaten things up a bit.

The pillars are chamfered at their bases to fit the pitched cabin roof. I jigged them to be vertical and level with a block of aluminium:

Another small step completed:

Old 06-22-2018, 06:12 AM

Happy Birthday! You found the right way to spend this day! All the best for you!

Yes, strong stuff that UHU... easy to get stuck to...

Thanks for the tips regarding name plates and bases. We're actually thinking about that. Cases are a problem though - difficult to ship.

Have a fantastic day and enjoy!

Cheers
Ben
Old 06-22-2018, 08:07 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Sorry I missed your birthday. I must have skimmed over it when reading your post. Hope you had a great one!
Google Adsense