PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-23-2018, 03:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks Mike!

Bridge finished this evening, with the addition of extension pieces, navigation lights and the ‘boxes on stalks” on the wheel house roof:

Old 10-23-2018, 04:12 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Nice work on the bridge! Railings look good and the bridge itself appears solid. I wondered about the doors to nowhere on the wings but it appears now they're lookout stations?
Old 10-23-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Nice work on the bridge! Railings look good and the bridge itself appears solid. I wondered about the doors to nowhere on the wings but it appears now they're lookout stations?
Thanks!

No idea about the lookout stations - the instructions are very vague. I got the impression the platforms were fold-down items, but then I also found railings numbered appropriately on the laser-cut sheet, and they seem to fit around them, so that’s how I did them. Could be right, could be wrong.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
The bridge wings were for transiting the Kiel canal. I imagine the railings were removeable and they folded up. The windlasses look correct too with the hand wheels (actually brakes) on top.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:28 AM

Thanks guys, good to know.
Google Adsense
Old 10-26-2018, 05:32 AM

Made a start on the main 10.5 cm guns, by making the barrels. Each one comprises three overlapping rolls of paper:

Old 10-28-2018, 12:20 PM

Did some work on the main guns (or a gun). Some of the parts:

Assembled to an educated guess, and some reference images (instructions are vague to say the least). First, without the shield:

And with the shield:

Just another 5 of these, and another 4 without shields. Then on to the secondary armament...
Old 10-28-2018, 07:13 PM

I thought I’d drop a line to let you know how closely I’m following this build. I’ve been a fan of card models for many years, but never found the time to begin one for one reason or another.

You can see I’ve been a member of this forum for nearly a decade and this is my first post.

This thread is what made me stop my current 1/700 build and take a side-bar into card modeling for a bit. The same-old same-old with my small scale ships was starting to feel like a rut, which thanks to this thread is over.

This is what I typically build:

HMS Tiger, resin hull, mostly scratch built superstructure

HMS Orion, resin hull, extensive scratch building.

S/Y Endurance, Sir Ernest Shackleton’s ship on the Imperial Trans Antarctic Expedition, fully scratch built.

Now you can see what just arrived....

I thought it would be a good idea to try my hands at a less complex kit, and I have quite a stash of JSC models, among many others, in the library, so I thought I’d start with my favorite Dreadnought of the war, SMS Viribus Unitis. It was certainly a good place to start and while I made mistakes I learned a lot. I feel like I’m ready to tackle my Emden now, especially with the help of this thread.

Anyway, I just thought you might like to know that your hard work in making this build log is going a LONG way to help me with mine. Emden is such a great subject and your work is really doing her justice. Again, thank you for keeping this thread updated, and I’ll be sure to share my finished Emden once she’s finished.

Joe
Old 10-28-2018, 08:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
drg - Outstanding work on the ordnance.

Joe - Your ship models are superb. I've been impressed with your work displayed at Model Warships (ModelWarships.com - Gallery ). I hope we will see your work on Viribus Unitis soon.

Don
Old 10-28-2018, 10:17 PM

Thanks Don!

I certainly appreciate the compliments. I don’t wish to hijack this thread, I just wanted Mr. DRG to know that his build log is being eagerly put to good use!
Google Adsense