PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-15-2018, 07:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Hull plating is all done. Had to cut a relief in the aft wrap around piece at the deck to get it to conform

I was worried about correct placement of the flight deck but there are two pieces, fore and aft that make up the "roof" color of the overhang over the fore and aft lower decks. These orient the flight deck longitudinally while I used the white dashed centerline marks on the deck to position the deck laterally.

Now the fun can begin.....

greg
Attached Thumbnails
USS Belleau Wood-img_20180514_181351616.jpg   USS Belleau Wood-img_20180514_181406010.jpg   USS Belleau Wood-img_20180514_193024107.jpg   USS Belleau Wood-img_20180514_193040002.jpg   USS Belleau Wood-img_20180514_193056165.jpg  

USS Belleau Wood-img_20180514_193110937.jpg  
Old 05-15-2018, 09:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
I haven't been around here too long but I have never seen a ship go to together so fast!! It's like Hank Kaiser is standin' over you with a horse whip!! Amazing progress young feller...
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-15-2018, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Vivid metaphor, Michael, but as you know, the Independence-class CVLs were all built by the traditional builders of Navy ships: Camden, Newport News, and Bethlehem-Quincy. Belleau Wood was built at the New York Shipbuilding Corporation, Camden, New Jersey yard, where New Jersey (BB-62) is currently on display. Hank Kaiser built CVEs (https://kaiserpermanentehistory.org/...of-leyte-gulf/). Sorry Buddy, but I couldn't resist a bit of CVL/CVE trivia.

Greg - Great work as always. Belleau Wood looks great in that 1944 Ms.33/3D camouflage scheme.

Don
Old 05-15-2018, 10:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Nice looking hull and flight deck.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Vivid metaphor, Michael, but as you know, the Independence-class CVLs were all built by the traditional builders of Navy ships: Camden, Newport News, and Bethlehem-Quincy. Belleau Wood was built at the New York Shipbuilding Corporation, Camden, New Jersey yard, where New Jersey (BB-62) is currently on display. Hank Kaiser built CVEs (https://kaiserpermanentehistory.org/...of-leyte-gulf/). Sorry Buddy, but I couldn't resist a bit of CVL/CVE trivia.

Greg - Great work as always. Belleau Wood looks great in that 1944 Ms.33/3D camouflage scheme.

Don
I just know generalities. You are my Go To guy for details.
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense
Old 05-15-2018, 12:13 PM

In regards to the speed of my build so far: I ain't actually hurrying.

The fact is that almost all of these pieces are bigger and there is less detail than in a current offering. If I had started any of the others in the poll I had, I would not be as far along.

Now that the basic form is complete, I expect to slow down as I add the more complex parts to it.

greg
Old 05-15-2018, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
yes it all slows down after hulls are built.i have about 8 or 10 sitting here as hulls waiting for details to be done
Old 05-17-2018, 06:10 AM

And... the building speed has slowed.

I didn't mention this before because it had not occurred to me, but building this numerically is not the best way. The written instructions are set up in sequential groupings of parts that should be followed instead. Even if you are deficient in Polish language (like me), just pull all the parts for the section in question, then build away. This leads me to my first Oops...

I realized, after I had attached the flight deck, that I was supposed to install the little slivers of deck on the side of the hull. What would have been easy without the top deck in place to give me better access, turned into a slightly longer exercise in patience and dexterity to get the side walls to meet the inner deck sliver edges so no gaps existed.

But after that detour, I wised up and am back on track building the fore mid deck assembly.

greg
Attached Thumbnails
USS Belleau Wood-img_20180516_201654003.jpg   USS Belleau Wood-img_20180516_201704311.jpg   USS Belleau Wood-img_20180516_201714449.jpg   USS Belleau Wood-img_20180516_210550826.jpg  
Old 05-17-2018, 06:22 AM

Still to me this is amazing progress. NOT a criticism but I guess the "rough" lines are because this kit is pre CAD? Makes these kits even more amazing when you think of what they must have had to do to develop something like this back in the day.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-17-2018, 07:32 AM

Yes this is definitely pre-CAD. SO in addition to the Typical crappy paper of this era of Maly models, you have the understandably inconsistent hand drawn parts and off center color registration for some colors (particularly the blue for this one.

In theory, one could scan this one and fix the color issues, but that is not how I work. I prefer the patina of the original and merely copy the parts on to better paper. I did attack the stars and bars on the six aircraft provided in the kit with a white gel pen, but that is for a later post. Much later, like near the end of the build later.

Oh and as for speed, I said it had "slowed". I know I tend to build faster than most, especially when I am inspired, but I also know when my production rate decreases, and this one definitely has decreased.

greg

greg