PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-17-2018, 02:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.87 MB
MV WEDEL, Papershipwright, 1:250

Good morning, Gentlemen!
Don Boose asked for my further projects after (near) completion of the COVE ISLE, so here we are: it´s another build of the MV WEDEL, a sounding and survey vessel of the Hamburg Waterway and Shipping Authority (WSA), based at the buoy depot in Wedel near Hamburg. The WEDEL is used along the river Elbe between Hamburg and its mouth at Cuxhaven plus along the Kiel Canal. She was specially built for this purpose by Fassmer shipyard and is equipped with a wide set of different sonars, GPS, further sensors, that I couldn´t name or describe even in German and a crew of three, for which she helds "emergency-accomodations", as she is supposed to return to port for the night. With 24 m length she is tagged "seagoing", though, as a half-sister of her prooves, the MV BALTIC, stationed in Stralsund and serving the Baltic coast between the Polish Border and Lübeck.
Both are, especially for working vessels, pretty, and both are offered as free download at papershipwright.co.uk. David Hathaway did a fantastic job with them; they´re a treat to build, as I already did once "quick and dirty", when the model was released. This time she will be properly "pimped" with selfmade lasercut parts and the interior of the bridge, that Chris, a member of "kartonbau.de" drew and offered there for download.
I changed the kit at some places to add a stepway from the working deck to the bridge and erased by the way some lines, where superstructure and other elements are painted plainly white, which (to my mind) gives her a more "realistic" touch.
Attached Thumbnails
MV WEDEL, Papershipwright, 1:250-wedel-38.jpg   MV WEDEL, Papershipwright, 1:250-wedel-39.jpg   MV WEDEL, Papershipwright, 1:250-wedel-40.jpg  
Old 05-17-2018, 02:19 AM

For building stepways without use of lasercut parts, I find it helpful to draw the steps with "ears" at their side, that help greatly adjusting them to the stair string; once You have correctly positioned the lowest step, You just add the next ones part by part and find them evenly spaced and oriented.
Attached Thumbnails
MV WEDEL, Papershipwright, 1:250-wedel-41.jpg   MV WEDEL, Papershipwright, 1:250-wedel-42.jpg   MV WEDEL, Papershipwright, 1:250-wedel-43.jpg  
Old 05-19-2018, 09:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 179.62 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiner View Post
For building stepways without use of lasercut parts, I find it helpful to draw the steps with "ears" at their side, that help greatly adjusting them to the stair string; once You have correctly positioned the lowest step, You just add the next ones part by part and find them evenly spaced and oriented.
Good idea, I'll try that in my next ship build.
And good luck with this one!
Old 05-19-2018, 06:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.31 MB
Hallo Heiner! Nice to meet you here! Looking forward to the WEDEL!
Old 05-19-2018, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nice clean, precise work once again!

Don
Google Adsense
Old 05-20-2018, 10:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi! arriving here to look this project! For a while, it looks perfect!!
Old 05-23-2018, 06:23 AM

Hi everybody, and thank You very much for Your appreciation. Sorry, that I didn´t have the time to answer this right away, but the things I´d like to do are not allways the things I do have to do...
@ AgaPablo: I can´t wait to see that ship! Watching Your Fury looks most promising.
@ Chris: the pleasure is all mine! I still have the photos of Your DAY TIDE stored for the day, when I finally start this JSC-model myself. There still are, by the way, quite a few people on my side of the Atlantic, who really would like to see, what You did (and built) since Your last posting!
@ Don: Thank You, I´ll do my best!
@ Eddie: I hope You´ll say the same thing after this posting.
The superstructure came next. A sure destinction for David´s models is, that some numbers invariably are mixed up, which keeps You alert and attentive - or cursing and crying, depending, at which state You notice, how things are meant to be. Here it´s just parts 9e/f, which bear each others number, no big deal. The fit is just perfect.

Unfortunatly, the windshield suffered a lot, when I started to glue the wipers (0,3 mm thread), glasses came off, things bent - I´m not very satisfied with the front view.
Attached Thumbnails
MV WEDEL, Papershipwright, 1:250-wedel-44.jpg   MV WEDEL, Papershipwright, 1:250-wedel-45.jpg   MV WEDEL, Papershipwright, 1:250-wedel-46.jpg   MV WEDEL, Papershipwright, 1:250-wedel-47.jpg   MV WEDEL, Papershipwright, 1:250-wedel-48.jpg  

Old 05-23-2018, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Excellent work! That interior looks swell.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiner View Post
Hi everybody, and thank You very much for Your appreciation. Sorry, that I didn´t have the time to answer this right away, but the things I´d like to do are not allways the things I do have to do...
@ AgaPablo: I can´t wait to see that ship! Watching Your Fury looks most promising.
@ Chris: the pleasure is all mine! I still have the photos of Your DAY TIDE stored for the day, when I finally start this JSC-model myself. There still are, by the way, quite a few people on my side of the Atlantic, who really would like to see, what You did (and built) since Your last posting!
@ Don: Thank You, I´ll do my best!
@ Eddie: I hope You´ll say the same thing after this posting.
The superstructure came next. A sure destinction for David´s models is, that some numbers invariably are mixed up, which keeps You alert and attentive - or cursing and crying, depending, at which state You notice, how things are meant to be. Here it´s just parts 9e/f, which bear each others number, no big deal. The fit is just perfect.

Unfortunatly, the windshield suffered a lot, when I started to glue the wipers (0,3 mm thread), glasses came off, things bent - I´m not very satisfied with the front view.

I'm still impressed by the quality of the building!
Old 05-23-2018, 08:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Very nice, looking forward for the crew!!!!!
Google Adsense