PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Papierschnitzel's Projects

Old 11-07-2018, 04:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Working on the next ship: The Sloop!

After the gunboat, this will be a bit longer ship and finally the first one to have space for cannons!

Here is a first design sketch.

I first made test prototypes at half scale (for 15mm minis) as I don't have to split parts due to page size limit.

The stern cabin will be removable. That way you have two configurations

of the deck for gaming.

Finally I moved on to built a first full scale version (for 28-30mm figures). It's still a rough build but you can see the process of the hull.

As with all my boats, I have a core layer that is split "vertically" from the bottom sideways and up. And then I add the inside and outside layers horizontally, emulating the planking. But first, to strengthen the shape I add the formers.

Once I put the deck and inside parts in position, I started to sketch the details on, to get a better look and feel of the ship.

I was surprised how much I love the size of the ship on my cutting mat! The smaller prototypes were aesthetically pleasing but now I am impressed with the actual size of this ship. So much deck space to play with minis!

I did a final test and started to cut out gun ports, as I wasn't sure if my cannons would fit. And ... they don't.
I have to raise the railing by apx 5mm. But this isn't bad because I also noticed that I forgot the mini bases which are also around 5mm when calculating the height. So with this update cannons and minis will fit perfectly.

Now I will update the unfold and then I can start working on the texturing and adding some deck structures! I want to add a windlass and some bilge pumps in addition to the cabin. And then I have to create an updated sailing rig for this model. It will be similar in type to the gunboat but I want the front sails to be two (a jib and genua I belive)!

Happy building,
Chris
Old 11-07-2018, 07:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very nice, Chris
Old 11-07-2018, 02:05 PM

Thanks Dave, I am very excited about this build. It just looks great on the table :-)
Old 11-09-2018, 08:46 AM

After fixing all the little issues of the first test build I was able to also create most of the deck structures (windlass, binnacle, bilge pumps) and then went on to build the next iteration. Now the cannons fit!

The cabins and all the deck structures are removeable if you want so you can play around with different configurations.

The "empty" ship has lots of space for on deck gaming action.

Now it's time to turn to the mast/sail/rig parts before I can finally start with texturing.

Chris
Old 11-09-2018, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I was a bit curious as to how you planned the mast on this one. The mast location is directly over the formers, maybe even a junction. Always interested in seeing how folks manage that
Google Adsense
Old 11-09-2018, 10:04 AM

Yes, the mast should be directly over a former crossing. I hope it will help to slot it in better. I sketched it on a between, but I am moving it a little towards the bow on the next build.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:06 AM

Next step was the texturing of the hull and deck structures.

Here is the hull all emtpy. The cabin will be removable so you can use it or not as you like.

Here is view from the stern and I found a little error during the build (which I fixed for the next one). I made a cut to the stern geometry but only transferred it to the build file for the outer and inner texture parts but no the middle core, so now you see this mismatch on the edge. Still you get the idea of the look :-)

When I insert all the deck parts it looks like this. A little full but should look nice on the display shelf. I might try to improve the final build with more rope and details once I have the sailing rig finished.

For gaming I would remove part of the deck stuff and have more room for movement of minis

So now I can start working on the mast and sail rig. Looking forward to ratlines this time!

Chris
Old 11-16-2018, 03:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hi there!

This is juat amazing!I love the little pirate fleet you are making!Also the color scheme is very beautiful!

Keep it on!

-Radek
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 11-16-2018, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
What a beauty! The texture is marvellous!
Old 11-16-2018, 03:00 PM

Thanks guys ... with the color modifier layers one can built every ship a little different :-)
Google Adsense

Tags
pirate ship fleet