PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Papierschnitzel's Projects

Old 11-20-2018, 09:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Starting to work on the mast and sails. This time I have the space in the hull, that I am able to insert the mast. That should make things a lot easier!

As the mast goes over a cross connection of the hull formers, I will make some slots so it will be held in place.

If that is too much, one can still just cut a space in the formers and just insert the mast without the slots. But this way I think it will be better connected and removeable. If that is not important, just glue it in position :-)

As the main mast needs to be longer than a page size, I will need to come up with some sort of equivalent of this extension connection.

For the sails I am working on a trial and error basis, trying to find the right dimensions that will work esp for removable sails. Right now I have settled on this as the shapes to work with. The gaf sail cannot be much larger due to page size but I think it is about right.

Now I have to find a nice way to connect the ratlines to the hull and then I am ready to start working on finalizing the rig!

Chris
Old 12-09-2018, 03:24 AM

Here are some updates on the rig.

I first did a very rough white build test, completing the hull I had with the mast and sails.

I was able to reuse the jib sail from the gun boat. The gaff sail I had to adapt to the new size. That meant to rearrange the layout of the textures and also add parts due to the larger space to be filled. The genoa sail I had to do from scratch. It is based on the jib sail textures but they needed a much larger rearranging.

The biggest challenge was to make the mast extensions on parts that could be joined and separated. Of course you can build and glue it all fixed but for those who want to take it apart for easy storage, I wanted that option too.

So I came up with this solution, utilizing the way I build the masts. I have an outer column hull which is fortified with an inner tri-shaped column. This inner one I have folded as shown, so it gets a little thinner and can be inserted and removed easily.

Now it's time to add all the weathering layers and then build all the rig for the final model. The old hull is waiting!

Chris
Old 12-09-2018, 08:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
This is really looking good, sir
Old 12-14-2018, 02:10 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
This is really looking very nice.

I have also enjoyed your explanation of your design process. It is always nice to see how other people approach things and you have managed to illustrate the challenges and your thought processes very well.

Thank you!
Old 12-15-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
This is really looking very nice.

I have also enjoyed your explanation of your design process. It is always nice to see how other people approach things and you have managed to illustrate the challenges and your thought processes very well.

Thank you!

Thank you very much. I feel I am not the best of communicators, so that's encouraging feedback for me

I love the give and take going on here, so I am happy to share what I can about my process!

Actually the sloop is 99% done. Only the top mast flag is missing. So here is a little teaser pic with paper minis and all.

Next week I have to do the flags I want to add, then instructions and packaging of files ... and then I am good to go into x-mas holidays.

Chris
Google Adsense
Old 12-20-2018, 11:04 AM

With my new photo setup I was able to take decent pics of the full sloop!

And then I made a little fun diorama with some paper mini monsters ...

What do you think about the new white "format"?

Chris
Old 12-20-2018, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
It looks good. When will the pirate ship fleet builder be available for purchase?
Old 12-20-2018, 02:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Your work is simply amazing!
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 12-20-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
It looks good. When will the pirate ship fleet builder be available for purchase?

I have yet to create a Brig and after that I plan to make a Kickstarter, to get enough interest for the Frigate and Galleon. My plan is Q1 2019.

Chris
Old 01-03-2019, 04:19 AM

I have started the new year with this new project: the Brig!

Here's the first concept sketch.

Looking forward to lock down the geometry and then do first test builds, small and large.

Chris
Google Adsense

Tags
pirate ship fleet