PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Papierschnitzel's Projects

Old 01-05-2019, 09:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Here is a first look at the prototype build of the hull. It's a rough build at half scale, so I can see how the hull looks and how assembly works out.

I found some minor things (as usual) I want to adjust, but in general I am quite happy with it so far.

Now I have to start to think about how to make the figure head section and possibly have different options one can attach ...

And then I will look at a couple of pics more to see which hull look variations I can squeeze into this set.

Chris
Old 01-05-2019, 10:24 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Excellent start.

The shape is very representative of this type of vessel, so it has the right "feel"!
Old 01-06-2019, 02:29 AM

Thanks Kevin. It was a good thing I started with the smaller boats and am working my way up towards the galleon. I needed the experience to get a feel how the ships hull are shaped and how to translate that into 3D meshes that I can unfold without much complications.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:42 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Well, you mastered it. I am interested to see how this one comes along.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:24 AM

Thank you very much Kevin :-)
Google Adsense
Old 01-12-2019, 04:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hi!

The white background looks good. Some are using a bit more greyish one for better contrast. Did you try out various background colors for your little studio?

Also it is a pleasure to see your fleet coming into being! Looking forward to the greater vessels!

Great job! What is the game?

-Radek
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 01-14-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdK View Post
Hi!

The white background looks good. Some are using a bit more greyish one for better contrast. Did you try out various background colors for your little studio?

Also it is a pleasure to see your fleet coming into being! Looking forward to the greater vessels!

Great job! What is the game?

-Radek

I just saw these white panels in a craft store and got them. Have to look next time if they have a darker grey version. Sounds like a good idea for contrast. But then the white reflects light very well which is a big point when taking photos inside.

I build the ships for gaming, like DnD roleplay gaming or wargaming. It should suit many rulesets. I have go admit that once our boy grew up and left home I don't really game that much. Rather spend my time building new things

Chris
Old 01-21-2019, 02:08 PM

I have started reworking the brig parts for the final scale (double the prototype). This involves splitting up the parts onto several pages.

Over the weekend I was able to complete the core layer and outer hull. This is how far the test build got...

The sides are falling a bit outwards due to the missing interior and deck parts, but other than that one can get an idea of the shape and scale.

Speaking of scale, here is a pic comparing to the previous ships. It makes the size pop

I am very excited to continue this ship but due to another project I will go 100% next month.

Chris
Old 02-22-2019, 10:26 AM

In the meantime I have made some progress (and totally forgot to share it here!).

The hull and deck is textured with the base layer.

Then I added the stairs and railings to the upper deck. The stairs are 1" wide for mini bases but I also made an option for a narrow more realistic looking version.

And finally I have tackled the bow section. I got much feedback on my first little prototype and tried to incorporate that here. Basically the feedback was that on a smaller brig like this there wasn't such a long extension like I made in the test. That was more for larger ships like galleons.

Here I put it all together with some deck structures. I also added the first parts of the masts, so you get a feeling how it will look with the sails.

Next up is the weathering and the sailing rig. So here is a pic with the final sloop build for comparison.

I think this will be a really nice paper model once I am finished and I am getting excited to work on the final touches like the weathering. I hope the new sails will work similar to the previous ones. Not sure how I will attach the square ones yet.

Chris
Old 03-06-2019, 01:01 AM

Here are the latest WIP pics from my new weathered and bleached brig build. I have finally opened up the gun ports and added cannons.

The ones looking toward the viewer are the simple cannons and the other ones are the advanced 3D cannons.

The second one showing how many minis I can add on deck (and it's not even full yet )

I had to make some minor adjustments in proportions for gaming, but I think this is starting to look like a realistic version of a ship!

Next I will tackle the sailing rig ... with new square sails and crows nest!

Chris

Google Adsense

Tags
pirate ship fleet