PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-17-2018, 12:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV

Speaking of HMV, here's the next project. Its the right size for my first go on passenger ships at 580mm or just under 23in. Hull is of a standard build.

Onward!
Attached Thumbnails
Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV-victoria.jpg   Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV-inner-hull-1.jpg   Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV-outer-skin.jpg  
Old 07-18-2018, 06:06 PM

Have the bottom, keel, and bulkhead pieces cut out. A fairly common hull build. I'll reinforce some of the pieces. If this was a larger kit, I'd most likely add stiffeners.

I have noticed however that the outer hull has some odd curves to it. Hope my skill is up to it. It'll be fun build regardless.
Attached Thumbnails
Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV-hull-pieces.jpg  
Old 07-18-2018, 09:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A truly beautiful ship. I eagerly look forward to watching you build it.

Don
Old 07-24-2018, 11:25 AM

Hull went together great....so far. There aren't any written instructions with this one - just picture diagrams. I believe all HMV kits are like this which is fine. You'd have to pay close attention to the line diagrams which are good. But then I have problems with written instructions so there is that also. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV-bow.jpg   Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV-mid-ship.jpg   Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV-stern.jpg  
Old 08-06-2018, 03:51 PM

Its coming along.

I have the main deck passenger cabin bulkheads installed and some other main deck structures. The last photo is going to be one of the first unique piece. Gonna mess with is a bit more before I even touch glue to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV-focsle-1.jpg   Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV-focsle-2.jpg   Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV-stern-area.jpg   Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV-aft-deck.jpg  
Old 08-07-2018, 07:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Good start, but I'm not a fan of hmv or jsc hulls. They don't lend themselves to clean non wavy decks.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:36 PM

I can understand your misgivings about HMV and JSC, PaperFan. I don't mind that. I've been on a lot of ships (Navy) and only the CV (carrier) had non-wavey decks. Even ships hulls don't come out of the yard completely flat. To me, the wave adds a bit of reality to the models.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:05 PM

I now have the upper deck installed and some of my own scratch items. First came the first class cabin walls. I then added small 1mm by 6mm strips of card to the outer walls to show a 3-D frame on the bulk heads. This appeared to be correct when I looked at the two parallel lines that you can see on the one picture. Then came the upper deck.

Now I'm to the point of cutting the outer hull skins. Need to take my time here. Any bad cuts will show when I get to installing.

I really like this kit. There aren't too many small parts and the color and printing are great, as usual with HMV kits (my view point).
Attached Thumbnails
Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV-frame-piecs.jpg   Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV-framing.jpg   Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV-fore-deck.jpg   Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV-aft-deck-2.jpg   Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV-outer-hull-skins.jpg  

Old 08-20-2018, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 321.25 MB
Nice build mate, looks great
Old 08-29-2018, 09:03 AM

Have the hull parts cut and it looks like a jigsaw. The diagram for how these fit isn't much to go by. I can figure out what goes where by the shape. The big question is how do I proceed with attaching them to the hull form. I have the three main pieces together. My current idea is to attach the bottom bow and middle stern pieces after I get the main hull sides on. These involve some forming and I think it'll be easier this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Schnelldampfer 'Augusta Vistoria' - HMV-jigsaw-hull.jpg  

Last edited by Beachead; 08-29-2018 at 09:04 AM. Reason: forgot to attach picture
Google Adsense