PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Papierschnitzel's Projects

Old 08-01-2018, 01:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 814.53 MB
Hi;

Here is a quick lesson about sails and rigging. Perhaps you will find it useful. Rectangular sails that go across the ship are called square sails. They are attached to cross beams called spars, which are attached to the masts by rope or sometimes metal fittings. Spars can go up or down, back and forth by hauling on ropes.

The sail in the back, that goes up at an angle, is called a stay sail. It is attached by stitching or rings and can be hauled up or down. The boom that it is attached to can be swung side to side.

The triangular sails in the front are called jib sails. They are attached to a rope or cable by stitched rope or metal rings and can be hauled up or down.

Some old time ships in the Mediterranean region had a large triangular sail which was called a lateen sail. It was a main sail attached by rope.

Regarding rigging, there are two basic types of rope. The first, Black rope, called standing rigging, was intended to hold masts in place and was not meant to be adjusted. It was black because it was tarred to protect it from weather and was quite durable. The other, light tan in color, because it was originally made from Manila hemp, is called running rigging because it is used for running the ship. Usually it was good for about fourteen months of wear. It is used for raising and lowering sails and adjusting the angle of spars to the wind. Modern ropes may appear white, because they are made of nylon, dacron, kevlar or other chemical based fiber.

Bear in mind that every sail and rope on a ship has a particular name and function. This can get very technical and will not be explained here. Older vessels used fewer metal parts and more rope-work. As we approached the nineteenth and twentieth centuries metal attained much wider use. The above information is intended to be simple and clear so that you can find your way around sailing ships and models.
Hope this is helpful.

Regards, rjccjr
Old 08-02-2018, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjccjr View Post
Hi;

Here is a quick lesson about sails and rigging. Perhaps you will find it useful. ...

Regards, rjccjr
You are my hero rjccjr!!!

I didn't know that the staying rigging was black and the other tan. That is a very helpful detail for my texturing phase.

Today I have received a new book (by Wolfram zu Mondfeld) and it also helped me a lot with lots of pics on details.

As we are having a bit of a heatwave these days, I will escape to a cool mountain lake for the weekend and get me updated on rigging and historic ship matters.

Thanks to everybody who helped me improve on these matters. This is a great community

Chris
Old 08-02-2018, 09:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 814.53 MB
Hi Chris;

If there was only one book that modelers of period ships were allowed, that is the book. It is the choice teaching instrument of most people who teach ship modeling, well written, accurate, sinfully inexpensive, and very well illustrated. Use it like a dictionary. if you hunt long enough you can find the answer to most modeling questions. It also happens to be, arguably,the most frequently stolen reference of model ship clubs. Great acquisition.

Regards, rjccjr