PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Papierschnitzel's Projects

Old 07-27-2018, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Looking for details on beam to mast connection

I was wondering if you guys can point me to detail pics illustrating the way the sail/beam is connected to the mast.

From my research I have found 3 major types.

A) the famous big ship main sail (square or rectangular) perpendicular to the keel.

B) triangle sails (some are in the front section of the ship kind of dangling on a rope and some are on a mast either in the back section or some ships just have those as main sail(s)

C) a rectangular shape with the upper edge being slanted in the back section of the ship.

If am very much interested how these different types would be "attached" or connected to the mast on a real ship back then. Was is ropes or metal stuff and how did it look. Any help is very much appreciated. I am trying to find ways to adapt this "paper-model-wise" to my upcoming ships I am developing.

So far I have only found lots of great pics that show the ships as a whole but find it difficult to identify the small details.

Chris
Google Adsense
Old 07-27-2018, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.90 GB
just did a search on google using "mast - yardarm connection" and found
https://www.123rf.com/photo_15532954...balclutha.html
But i think that the further back in history you go, you will find other
ways to connect the yardarm to the mast.

this may help (or confuse) as well https://maritime.org/doc/luce/part3.htm
Old 07-27-2018, 02:51 PM

also found this
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for details on beam to mast connection-toppmast_rigg.jpg  
Old 07-27-2018, 03:18 PM

for your "C" I found this
Broads Cruise Broads Cruise captain images diagram.gif add / where the spaces are
the top yardarm or boom rises or lowers using a system of ropes and pullies.
and is attached to the mast with a metal of wooden ring that slides up and
down the mast.

for your "B" I found this
Rick McClain Photography - Commercial, Product, Architectural, Industrial and Digital Photographers in Salt Lake City ( SLC ) ,Utah. Sailing SailboatNomenclature.gif add / where the spaces are
the sail is lifted into place using pullies. The Boom is attached to the mast with
a metal band and pivot point. I cant find a pict. of this but my Uncle has this
type of boat and I remember seeing it. found a pict of it
Drdiagram: Diagram Template Gallery wp-content uploads 2017 02 new-mast-rigging-diagram-mast-rigging-diagram-mast-rigging-diagram-hobie-16-mast-rigging.gif add / where the spaces are

Last edited by ennder; 07-27-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:18 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Don't have any image links for you Chris but I can highly recommend this book http://https://www.amazon.com/Riggin...itsail+topmast .
Full of pics, I believe it's in the time period you are looking at and for a very reasonable price.

If you can find a paperback copy of "The Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor" by D'arcy Lever you will find it to be chock full of illustrations and descriptions of rigging ships. It was written originally to take a young midshipman from knowing absolutely nothing about the rigging and sailing of a ship right up to where he was studying for exams. Great book.

And, while we're at it, https://www.amazon.com/rigging-conta...rge+biddlecomb is a small book with some great drawings of rigging details.

hth

edit - See Abhovi's post below. He is absolutely correct. I thought you were building a generic kind of pirate ship. These are just a few books that have helped me to gain a very basic understanding of how English (I think) ships, in particular, were rigged at various times. Ab, please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by elliott; 07-27-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-27-2018, 10:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
See if you track down a copy of "Lore of Ships" or Bjorn Landsrom's "The Ship". I will go through my marine library and see what I can uncover this weekend. It's a tad late right now but, time allowing, should be able to find some reference for you over the next few days.

Derek
Old 07-27-2018, 10:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
The area of your question is far too wide to be caught in one answer. Techniques differ from time tot time, from area to area and from ship type to ship type. The best thing you can do is to purchase some books about rigging. For instance, for 17th century English rigging I can recommend R.C. Anderson's Seventeenth Century Rigging. For french ships there are Jean Boudriot's beautiful books. For Dutch ships I published several books in which the rigging is dealt with. There is an enormous list of books I can recommend, but it would be much more useful if you described the ship type and the timezone you want to work with. This is a complicated subject.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Thank you for helping me out already. Mostly I didn't even know what all was called so my searches didn't bring up much useful info.

Regarding time period and ship type, I am going for "pirate era" and ships from sloops to galleons. I am not focusing on 100% historically accurate, but just want to get an idea how these connections have been done in general, so I can think of a way to make my paper model version that will look somewhat real.

The challenge for me is to figure out if I can make the sail/beam part disconnectable as a paper model or if I have to glue it together.

For example the next boat I want to tackle is what I call a "gun boat" and it should have this type of sail rig

From what I have seen the beams of the aft sail are like forks going around each side of the mast or are connected via a hinge to a metal ring around the mast.

I am guessing the front/bow beam will be fixed as I imagine it dangerous if it could move around and the sail is attached at the bow and top like a modern sailing boat.

For the bigger boats, from what I have seen and read the beam is often connected to the mast with some sort of clamp holding it controlled to the mast and then raised and lowered with ropes.

I know this is must be like a strange sounding topic but I am trying to find a solution for the whole mast and sails area that will be not too challenging to build and hopefully allow for removing sections of the model for game play.

That is why I am studying what the real thing looked like so that I can attempt to make a good adaption that will work for my purposes.

I am aware that maybe I will not find an easy solution and have to accept that it will be an advanced build option not for everybody (regarding gamers, who rather want a fast and easy and good looking build :-) )

Anyway thank you very much already for all the tips, pictures and links. I will check out the books recommended.

When I was a kid my father build wooden ship models with all the crazy details. I wish I had paid attention then :-)

Now I have to go back and learn it all again!

Cheers,
Chris
Old 07-28-2018, 02:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Perhaps you can find some details in my postings like: 'another dutch working horse.' another 17th century Dutch workhorse) Several types of rigging are dealt with there.

By the way: what you sketch: a boom at the lower end of a fore sail is a non-existing rig. You probably mean a jib boom with a jib. The fore sail in such a rig is connected to the stay, which runs from the stem post to the top of the mast.:-)

Easy solutions for rigging do not exist. Not if you want to let it look a bit trustworthy. Believe me, I tried.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:10 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
PS - you are on the right track.

Forks were in common use along with something called parrels - used to hold the forks in place.