PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-21-2018, 08:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

Here are a few photographs and the drawings of the paper model Deutschland that was mentioned before. The fascinating voyage of the Deutschland to America before our entry into The Great War is too long to relay here, so just Google, “Submarine Deutschland to America” to find the many sites that describe the event.

The model was tricky to build, but it went together on the first try. From my experience, the same cannot be said for the Schreiber U9. I’ve tried three times to build it and I can’t properly fit the deck to the hull. Now it’s become a mental block that I may never overcome. So, now I’ve got another one of those in my head.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Great War submarines-x-submarine-1.jpg   Great War submarines-x-submarine-5.jpg   Great War submarines-x-submarine-10.jpg   Great War submarines-x-submarine-12.jpg   Great War submarines-x-submarine-13.jpg  

Old 09-21-2018, 08:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
Long story short-are there any Great War submarine paper models around?

I'm an airplane guy so I haven't paid attention to them and I can use a gift for someone.

I don't recall ever seeing one around but than again that's not within my area of interest.

Grazie.
Hi Grazie,

I'm an airplane guy too. But, if you were to do some reading about the WWII subs, you might get hooked on them as well.

Three books:

Bowfin is about a particular one, now a museum in Hawaii.

Wahoo The patrols of America's Most Famous WWII Submarine

Clear The Bridge The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang
Last two are written by the same Commander, Richard O'Kane

Mike
Old 09-24-2018, 04:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
There are some U-boats
WWI German Submarine U-14 Free Paper Model Download
German Submarine U-35

Last edited by rickstef; 09-24-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Thx Draco.U-35 has been already ordered and it should be in mail.U-14 is new to me.Thx again.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
That U-35 doesn't look too complicated.
Looks like a fine place to start.
I hope you do a build thread.

I built Kooklik's WW2 U-Boat, which is quite a challenge.
This would have been a much smarter place to start! lol
Google Adsense
Old 09-24-2018, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
That U-35 will be a gift to someone.I will do one on top of this page.Looks ancient enough
Old 09-24-2018, 06:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is an interesting thread.

I was glad to see your completed Deutschlandmodel, Thumb Dog. A few years ago, Tom Greensfelder posted images of a kit of that submarine with some information about its voyage in 1916 to my home town of Baltimore, Maryland (1916 German Submarine). I provided some links to historical information and images (see below). Tom provided additional info (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/402299-post14.html).

This was my post (I have deleted one of the links that no longer works):

The Maryland Historical Society (Maryland Historical Society | Museum and Library | Baltimore, MD) holds images of Deutschland's visit. Here are the finding aids of the Society related to Deutschland: Search | Maryland Historical Society

And here are other images and accounts of the ship:
https://ghostsofbaltimore.org/2013/0...tschland-1916/ (German U-Boat Deutschland Arrives in Baltimore (1916) - Ghosts of Baltimore)
https://www.firstworldwar.com/source/deutschland1.htm (First World War.com - Primary Documents - German Submarine Deutschland's Atlantic Crossing, 9 July 1916)

Videos:
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65...n-flag-on-ship (Stock Footage - The German Merchant Submarine, Deutschland, arrives with merchant cargo in Baltimore, Maryland.)
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65...fter-collision (Stock Footage - The repaired German U-boat Deutschland leaves New London, Connecticut, bound for Germany.)

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 09-24-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:49 PM

Hi All,

And hi, Don. Thanks for your kind words and the further information. The story of the Deutschland's crossing and return is as much an American saga as it is German. With the numbers of German-American citizens nearing ten percent, the largest imigrant group in the country at the time, the Deutschland and her crew were quite the stars in Baltimore and around the country. The visit by the cargo submarine did much to boost morale among the German-Americans who had been having a hard time of it here in this country even before our entry into the war in April, 1917. It was said that by the time Captain Paul Koenig left for Germany, his coat no longer had any buttons left, as the public had demanded them as souvenirs of the daring voyage.

The Deutschland's crossing is one of the great sea-tales of the era, and it's peaceful nature in the middle of the Great War makes it even more so.
I'm attaching an image of the house flag of the Deutsche-Ozean-Reederei, or the German Ocean Shipping Company, the private consortium that sponsored the great adventure.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Great War submarines-x-submarine-17.png  
Old 09-24-2018, 08:57 PM

Hi All,

Just a quick note to say that the images of the Deutschland's drawings that I posted earlier came form the collection of friend and fellow member Tom Greensfelder. They really are a fine example of German paper modeling of the time with good color and good fit. Sorry for the oversight and thanks again, Tom.

Score and Fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 10-02-2018, 09:38 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb Dog View Post

The model was tricky to build, but it went together on the first try.

Thanks for sharing this & a great build on your parts!