PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-12-2018, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 11.17 MB
Hospital Ship Wilhelm Gustloff 1:250

My next project is the Wilhelm Gustloff by JSC, scale 1:250 in the version as a hospital ship. I opted for this version as not to use any swastika symbols on the funnel. I am going to depart from historic accuracy and omit the national flag this time. What disturbs me considerably are some sites on the Net that show pictures of the original ship or models. Historic sensitiveness calls for caution with Wilhelm Gustloff. Its Nazi background and history should not be part of uncommented, uncritical enthusiasm. The model and the original are PROBLEMATIC. We should bear that in mind and pay our tribute to the millionfold victims of Nazi terror. As with filmmaking, science, art, architecture, civil shipbuilding unfortunately tributed to a barbaric totalitarian system even if we consider the build not to have any war-related purposes, which some historians doubt. It is interesting and far-reaching as to the construction as a low-cost cruise ship. But for what price, we must ask ourselves. The ship was paid for by the money of streamlined and expropriated unions. As with all seemingly astonishing Nazi projects of the pre-war era, the money from the workforce and pension funds were used regardless of the future consequences to stimulate a mock economic prosperity. Without a future war and ruthless exploitation of the countries to be overrun a ship like the Gustloff would not have been possible.

That should serve as introductory comment. But now let us go to the model by JSC: as usual I have decided to build the Promenade deck equipment (in this case the hospital stuff) as well. I must check the walls and window configuration at the National German Museum of Shipping at Bremerhaven. They have deck plans (more accurate that those on the net which derive from the journal "Werft-Reederei-Hafen of 1939") and a fine model on display.
Google Adsense
Old 10-12-2018, 09:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Since I am Mexican it is hard for me to fully understand the terrible ordeal of WWII, since we were involved only marginally.

On the case of the case of the Wilhelm Gustloff it was horrible, almost 10,000 casualties. The largest tragedy at sea.

But we love modeling, so out of terrible things that happen we are in awe of war machines (and collateral damages). In addition to surface ships, we also like to build submarines, like the U-boots or the notorious S-13 Soviet submarine. A remainder that they are better in paper or card than in real life.

So looking forward to your completed model.

ps and thank you to the designers and editors of card models who also provide important history lessons.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
whatever the politics behind these tragedies history should not be hidden to be politically correct or sensative.if they are hidden. they risk being repeated.im sure your build will do the ship a great justice
Old 10-22-2018, 11:42 AM

The missing Upper Promenade Deck allows us to look into the promendade used as hospital ward. The front part is reserved as officers´recreation zone, so off-limits for ordinary patients. The large window-door unit is the central entrance to the "Front Hall" with the adjacent rather smallish library.
Attached Thumbnails
Hospital Ship Wilhelm Gustloff 1:250-oktober-2018-161.jpg   Hospital Ship Wilhelm Gustloff 1:250-oktober-2018-160.jpg   Hospital Ship Wilhelm Gustloff 1:250-oktober-2018-159.jpg   Hospital Ship Wilhelm Gustloff 1:250-oktober-2018-155.jpg   Hospital Ship Wilhelm Gustloff 1:250-oktober-2018-158.jpg  

Old 10-22-2018, 11:52 AM

Some more pictures of the lower promenade. The configuration of the windows should be 95 % correct as there are only four known pics of that area available and the rather unclear image of the GA plan from the net. I quickly realized that I was about to do the same mistake as my fellow builders. The dotted parts of the walls are NOT the windows as one may believe. On the contrary: the black parts are the windows as the cross check with the other deck confirmed. The pics from the halls from the inside also reveal that fact.
Attached Thumbnails
Hospital Ship Wilhelm Gustloff 1:250-oktober-2018-151.jpg   Hospital Ship Wilhelm Gustloff 1:250-oktober-2018-154.jpg   Hospital Ship Wilhelm Gustloff 1:250-oktober-2018-150.jpg   Hospital Ship Wilhelm Gustloff 1:250-oktober-2018-142.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-23-2018, 01:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
great build, thank you for sharing
Old 10-23-2018, 10:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
so much detail
Old 10-24-2018, 01:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Very nice, I presume you will populate it with evaquees and medical personnel and sailors!
Old 10-26-2018, 04:39 AM

a really great looking build.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:21 PM

Great build!

I have a post card mailed from WG’s post office from December 1938 during her KdF days. I’ve always wondered if the person who sent it made it through the war. I like your comments in your first post, I completely agree. Sometimes I find it hard to rectify my interest in WWII ships with everything else going on at the time which I why I’ve taken more of an interest in WWI ships. Maybe a little less action, but certainly much less baggage.

Google Adsense