PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-14-2018, 08:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.73 MB
Kronprinzessin Cecilie in 1/333rd scale

Hello Everyone !

I recently discovered an the archived scan of the old JSC Kronprinzessin Cecilie paper model released in 1910, available on the AGK archive site. I love the colors and look of the old model so I have decided to build it up.

The instructions are in old German Sütterlinschrift script and very hard to read. much less understand, so with the help of a fellow modeler from DE who goes by the nomer of "Hypopon Wusch" in the FB Paper Ship Modelers group, I have translated and edited into "modelers english".

The instructions, in preliminary translation are here https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...DoqyMTp3Qn9XMk , for anyone who wants to build her up

I am using various pics as reference, of the restored prototype Fleischmann display model from Cabin Class Collectibles, who bought and restored the VERY decrepit model to as new museum quality, link here > https://www.facebook.com/pg/Cabin-Cl...30951323581733

and here > THE KRONPRINZESSIN CECILIE PROJECT - HOME

Pics follow

Rico

Last edited by ricomon35; 10-14-2018 at 08:58 PM. Reason: additional info added
Google Adsense
Old 10-14-2018, 08:23 PM

Initial build pics

I have been working on the upper and lower hull, keel and rudder bits today, as well as the deck pieces.

Below we have the upper hull left/right strips laminated on 110 lb card, the lower hull also on 110.

Then we have the prow, center section and rear section joins.

I cut the tabs off the prow and stern pieces, both the upper/lower hull pieces, and re-glued as butt joint strips, coloring the edges and the strip centerlines with red art pen. Came out pretty well I think.

I will add thin 2mm wide strips over the prow joint, painted to match the hull pieces, and if I like the result, will also cover the main lower hull seam that way.

Anywhere I can use butt joints for smoothness, I will do so, and I will add thread rigging and post/thread railings in place of the card ones.

I also think I will fabricate davits out of wood, or maybe thin steel brake line?
I've used brazes brake line in my RC Crawler truck builds for roll cages and the material is really easy to bend to shape with a good tubing bender.

I would use the supplied paper ones, but after seeing the restored Fleischmann model, I reeeeeeally want to modify this kit to give it more detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Kronprinzessin Cecilie in 1/333rd scale-dscn1535.jpg   Kronprinzessin Cecilie in 1/333rd scale-dscn1538.jpg   Kronprinzessin Cecilie in 1/333rd scale-dscn1540.jpg   Kronprinzessin Cecilie in 1/333rd scale-dscn1542.jpg   Kronprinzessin Cecilie in 1/333rd scale-dscn1543.jpg  

Last edited by ricomon35; 10-14-2018 at 08:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-14-2018, 08:37 PM

Initial build pics part 2

Yet more initial build pics :

1st up is the lower hull section reinforcement work. The original instructions call for 10mm by 122.5mm strips to be attached at the upper hull joints, but are way too weak for my taste. My dimensions are 73.5mmx10mmx2mm for the strips.

Here I have used heavy cardstock, 2mm thick to build a hull support skeleton. Just enough to keep the center section straight. I will add another T section in the middle, and a lower hull strip along the keel bottom as well.

I'll build up something similar for the upper hull.

Next the Stern keel and rudder/prop shafts bits, not quite ready to assemble as I haven't figured out how to close the stern hull pieces with the rudder assembly yet. All edges colored, butt joints with join strips. All on 110lb stock.

Last are all the deck pieces laminated and ready to cut-up. Various deck funnels and other small bits were printed in all the center sections, which I removed.

More pics tomorrow

Rico
Attached Thumbnails
Kronprinzessin Cecilie in 1/333rd scale-dscn1537.jpg   Kronprinzessin Cecilie in 1/333rd scale-dscn1545.jpg   Kronprinzessin Cecilie in 1/333rd scale-dscn1546.jpg  
Old 10-14-2018, 09:06 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
You're off with a bang there Rico. Working fast & well by all appearances.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hi there!

this looks interesting and I like your idea of modifying the model. Will you stamp out the portholes or is the scale too small for it? I find it difficult to add details at 1:100 already, so my respect to everyone doing details on smaller models! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Rgds,

Radek
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Google Adsense