PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-30-2018, 05:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 345.47 MB
Can't wait to see another build of ORP Blyskawica.

The model you are showing represents the ship how it looks in 1944, but actually has few historical mistakes. Can't say exactly now, but the designer based on the MM which I'm building now and tried to tweak to the appearance of Blyskawica from last years of the war and it didn't go well. The old one represents the ship after war which have been altered quite much when it got back to Poland.

Anyway good luck with the construction.

Many thanks for your help with photos, it would be useful in some points. I.e. the main artillery photos if you have.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:01 AM

Hello.

Quick update. Small progress on the hull. Sides are glued. The bow sides were a bit tricky to fit with top trims. Came out not perfect but I'm fairly satisfied. Now the bottom part of hull segments need to be formed. After first I've noticed that skins are bit to big, but this is good indeed. Easier to trim than fill the gaps.

Also dry fit of the structures. All going well so far.
Attached Thumbnails
ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3559.jpg   ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3560.jpg   ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3561.jpg   ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3562.jpg   ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3563.jpg  

ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3564.jpg   ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3566.jpg   ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3567.jpg  
Old 11-07-2018, 10:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Next time put the lower plates on 1st, then add the upper hull sides, no trimming required and you'll get a better gluing surface for the seems.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Good luck with your build. I am not the same page like you. Came back to the hobby after 30 years. I am trying to build B-17 from GPM and get ready for HMS Hood from Halinski. good luck with building this destroyer. I will watch the progress and learn some techniques Cheers
Old 11-08-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER FAN View Post
Next time put the lower plates on 1st, then add the upper hull sides, no trimming required and you'll get a better gluing surface for the seems.
Not sure if that will work to be honest. Having upper side hull plates first gives nice straight reference waterline and allows for good fit to the line of the deck.

Gluing the bottom plates first might give a lot of headaches with fitting sides above I think.

Anyway, I managed to form only few plates today. The most trickiest was the bow. As I suspect, cracking of the outer skin was unavoidable. But I thought it would be worse. Painting helped a bit and also it will be not really visible, so I'm not worried to much.

Also stern plate fitted on place. Quite happy with that.
Attached Thumbnails
ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3573.jpg   ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3569.jpg   ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3570.jpg   ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3572.jpg   ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3575.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 11-08-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olo View Post
Good luck with your build. I am not the same page like you. Came back to the hobby after 30 years. I am trying to build B-17 from GPM and get ready for HMS Hood from Halinski. good luck with building this destroyer. I will watch the progress and learn some techniques Cheers
I'm watching your B-17 built, and the person who can learn techniques is nobody than me looking on your skills
Old 11-13-2018, 09:20 AM

Hi All,

Another step forward. All segments formed to fit the frames, but after dry fitting I found quite bad gap between last segments laid. After some investigation I found that 2nd & 3rd segment from bow is too short slightly and both combined makes this 3mm gap.

The first thought was to print scanned parts with scaling up. But there is no chance to match the color them. So decided to lay all the segments and fill the gap with strip, and paint red as much close as possible. I might be even able to hide it when it sits on the stand. Will see.

Also started some structure assembly. Without any troubles this time. So far I have added some extra formers and wall support strips made of 1mm cardboard. Much easier to avoid any damage while operating.
Attached Thumbnails
ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3592.jpg   ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3593.jpg   ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3594.jpg   ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3595.jpg   ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3588.jpg  

ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3589.jpg   ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3590.jpg   ORP Blyskawica - MM 5-6/81-img_3591.jpg  
Old 11-22-2018, 09:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard View Post
Can't wait to see another build of ORP Blyskawica.
yeah me too ;P

been away for few weeks without net access and can see, during that time, you've made nice progress. Hope its not too late - below is a link to most of my photos of her.

Mike's Modeling: ORP Blyskawica Polish Navy Destroyer #1

cheers
Old 11-22-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetzer View Post
all Iam going to say for now is this:

if you need any reference - let me know, got it photoed from every corner xD

cheers :D
Hi, just wonder I would like to build one as well in the future would you be able to share your photos with me ?
Old 11-22-2018, 10:06 AM

Nice work,are you planing to paint the bottom or leave it the way it is ?

Tags
blyskawica, destroyer, orp, polish, polish destroyer