PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-30-2018, 07:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
USS Ward DD 139

This is my first foray into the world of floaty thangs. To start with a question: Should I glue the internal formers onto Bristol board or similar? I can't imagine it would hurt anything and would make the hull stronger.

Also if all you learned ship builders have any other suggestions for this build I would very much appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Ward DD 139-20181030_090246.jpg   USS Ward DD 139-20181030_090219.jpg  
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense
Old 10-30-2018, 07:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I will defer to more experienced ship modelers, but based on my own very modest experience, strengthening the internal structure is not necessary for a model of this size.

Looking forward to seeing you build this historic ship. I always liked the look of the four-pipers (and the converted three-stack flush-deckers) real and imaginary (USS Caine).

Don
Old 10-30-2018, 07:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
My one foray into building a ship model taught me the importance of making sure the keel stays straight and making sure the internal formers stay true and square. Otherwise the floaty thang looks like a gray (or is that grey?) banana.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.41 GB
I’m no expert, but I do build these ships on a regular basis.

You are good to go with the formers as is. I build on a flat and true surface, and weight the frame while it dries to keep the model straight and true. Water based glues will warp the frame, hull sides and deck. I use something like the model airplane glue we had as kids to avoid the ripples. I switch to water based glue for the details.

You can see my model of the USS Ballard, a 4 piper converted to a seaplane tender in the IPMC photos. These models are not too difficult, but do take some perseverance.

Alan
Old 10-30-2018, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
From my shipbuilding days (I built three...) I recall lightly gluing the waterline piece to a small piece of glass, then adding the hull formers to that. Even Bristol board is going to have some slight curve to it, with the potential to curve even more depending on humidity.

The waterline piece sets the stage for literally everything above it, so it's got to be flat. I learned that the hard way....
Google Adsense
Old 10-30-2018, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 814.53 MB
Hi;

In that scale, adding material would be unnecessary as long as the base card is tacked to a sheet of wood or other material. The model should be quite strong as is.

Regards, rjccjr
Old 10-30-2018, 11:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 317.47 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Should I glue the internal formers onto Bristol board or similar?
Absolutely no. I built USS Ward by JSC about a year ago and it's designed to build it straight from what kit provides. In 1/400 scale this ship has a really solid construction. The only things you'll have to do by yourself are masts, lifeboat racks, cannons and maybe few other little details.
Good luck with this project!

Any plans for diorama? There are so many ways to make water for ships.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
since you have to fold the inner formers to double their thickness you are already sort of gluing them to "Bristol" board in a way, so no need to add extra on these JSC models.

That's the genius of JSC, most of them do not require extra card.

greg
Old 10-30-2018, 03:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
I am not a historian like our illustrious Don B. but rather a follower of history. One of the things that has always amazed me is why some events go down in history and others are hardly remembered. One of these instances is the USS Ward on December 7th 1941. For some reason we all remember the USS Arizona that was sunk almost without firing a shot yet few people know of the exploits of this little “tin can”.

This little 314’ long obsolete “4 piper” destroyer did what much of the rest of the US fleet did not do on that day. In the best traditions of the US Navy the captain, LCDR Outerbridge, who had only been in charge of his ship for a day, followed in the footsteps of John Paul Jones, Stephen Decatur, David Farragut and all the other great men of the US Navy’s past. He took action.

He was also lucky enough to have probably one of the best trained crews in the US Navy at that point. They were all reservists from the same area of the US Midwest.. They had all been together on their little piece of floating Minnesota prairie for a year. They were the personification of a “well oiled machine”.

At roughly 06:30 Outerbridge attacked without hesitation and sank a Japanese midget sub in the entrance of Pearl Harbor. He knew he would either get a medal or a court marshal! He reported his actions and also in the tradition of so many military machines this report was promptly ignored. If someone of LCDR Outerbridge’s calibre had been on duty that day the story that we now know of the Japanese attack might have been very different.

Since I have started building paper models this little ship has been my Holy Grail. I do hope I do her justice. If not I bought two so I would have a “do over” ;-)

Tack glued the keel to my building board. Then cut out keel and two sides. Looks OK to me thus far. If anyone sees any errors please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Ward DD 139-20181030_173559-0-.jpg   USS Ward DD 139-20181030_174426.jpg  
Live, Laff, Love...

Last edited by MichaelS; 10-30-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent background info, Michael.

Great start on the build.

Don
Google Adsense