PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-21-2018, 03:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird View Post
Thanks! Glad you like, and sorry about the typo. I’ve already admitted to being a high-functioning idiot, and I stand by that!

Those white circles, two I can answer off the top of my head, the other I need to wait until I get home.

The small white circle on the radio room is the spot where the antenna connect. I’m not sure why they chose to make it so large, but that’s the spot. The small white circle near the capstans isn’t mentioned at all in the instructions but it’s where the spare anchor handling crane is located. I’ve only been able to make out in a couple photos and it’s nothing more than a dark spot. One drawing I have shows or connected to the breakwater on Emden but I don’t think this is correct but rather for Dresden.. It’s one of those small collapsible cranes that probably folds forward. The white circle is the base of the crane, which HMV never mentions.

The midships circle I’m still looking into.

I think the casemate breakwaters are holdover parts from when one could build either Emden or Dresden from this kit, and I think they’re Dresden parts, but that I’m not sure about either. I’ve never seen anything like them on the prototype photos of either ship

Thanks. The Dresden version of the kit is shown built up on the Emden page on the HMV website. I can't see any sign of the break waters, or the crane though. Do you have a reference image of what the crane might look like?
Old 12-22-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drg View Post
Thanks. The Dresden version of the kit is shown built up on the Emden page on the HMV website. I can't see any sign of the break waters, or the crane though. Do you have a reference image of what the crane might look like?
Sadly no, but I plan to look at what other cruisers were using at the time and replicate that. The boom on Dresden is fairly long as it has to clear the hull in order to lower the anchor below the keel before cutting it loose. I’m betting I’ll stumble across a photo of something similar.

In the mean time, funnels!

These weren’t as hard as I thought they’d be, however the uptakes were a little vexing. We’re through it and they look fine, so moving on to the bridge this week.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:46 AM

Very nice work!

If you look on the laser-cut sheet with the funnel rungs on it, there are two, stepped, crane jib like parts, with chamfered ends (135a) that don't seem to appear in the instructions. I wonder if they could be be adapted to make the anchor crane?

The remaining mystery circular white dot on the mid deck - I found some deck plans, and in that position (and several others around the deck houses), is a circular mark with a partially legible word. It looks like it says "10.5 cm Patronentuschen". Patronen means "cartridge", the other word I can't figure out the meaning in this context - might even be the wrong word.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's really beautiful!

Don
Old 12-22-2018, 10:12 AM

You read my mind about part 135A.

Having invested some real brainpower into this now, I’m reasonably certain the crane was attached to the breakwater as was the case on Dresden. In the images below you’ll see it as the case.

So, I guess I was wrong about the circle being a collapsible crane. There is one possible reason for it, and that is it’s supposed to depict the capstan brake wheel position, but they got it wrong. That’s the only other fitting that’s on the port side of the ship near the capstan. So, what am I gonna do? I’m gonna cover that damn circle and pretend it didn’t exist! That’ll show ‘em!
Google Adsense
Old 12-22-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird View Post
You read my mind about part 135A.

Having invested some real brainpower into this now, I’m reasonably certain the crane was attached to the breakwater as was the case on Dresden. In the images below you’ll see it as the case.

So, I guess I was wrong about the circle being a collapsible crane. There is one possible reason for it, and that is it’s supposed to depict the capstan brake wheel position, but they got it wrong. That’s the only other fitting that’s on the port side of the ship near the capstan. So, what am I gonna do? I’m gonna cover that damn circle and pretend it didn’t exist! That’ll show ‘em!
Why not make the crane? Wouldn’t it have been on the Emden? There must have been some means of moving the anchor? Or was it a hole for a temporary crane spigot?

Did you spot the mid deck spot on that line drawing too? With the cartridge notation next to it?
Old 12-22-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drg View Post
Why not make the crane? Wouldn’t it have been on the Emden? There must have been some means of moving the anchor? Or was it a hole for a temporary crane spigot?

Did you spot the mid deck spot on that line drawing too? With the cartridge notation next to it?
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I’m going to attach the crane to the breakwater as shown on the drawings and cover up the mysterious circle.

The notation on those plans refers to ready-use lockers methinks, however, I have noticed a pipe in some drawings in that location. I think there may be in air vent or perhaps an exhaust vent in that area. It seems the photos of the ship and drawings of the ship don’t mesh. Upon further review, the white circle on the funkraum MAY be a vent location that was either never added or removed at some point. This could have appeared on a drawing of the ship and added to the model, but not used. I noticed this while researching the deck circle. The two don’t line up, so I’m not sure if they’re related. Photos of the funkraum on Emden don’t show any structure so if it was there it was removed, and if it was never added it’s probably a leftover from HMVs source drawings.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:37 PM

There's a spare 101g mushroom type vent on the laser-cut set...unless I've missed one somewhere.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
All this discussion is interesting but your build is just absolutely STUNNING. I had to really look very hard to be sure it was paper. It looks like a very professionally commissioned museum quality build to my eyes.

Congratulations sir.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 12-22-2018, 06:13 PM

Thanks!!! Glad you like it
Google Adsense