PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-26-2018, 08:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I also find attaching bottom of hull to your choice of display board way cool.
I have always built WL using a sheet of glass, then attach to base. Also am interested
in cutting the tabs off. I have started to do this, but never followed thru and built using
them. The idea about gluing to deck/bottom edge and not too side formers very intriguing.
And DRG's build is just over the top too. So watching you both I might be able to pull a build of
the Emden Troptical off. Will admit I have cheated a tad. I ordered the main guns from Shapways
3D printed.
Rick
Old 11-28-2018, 01:51 AM

Hey Rick!

Pay way more attention to what DRG is doing, not me! I’m riding his coat tails as well since I can’t remember how many times I’ve referenced his photos. I’m simply trying out some of my own techniques, and so far it’s mostly working out.

The wood base idea works ONLY if you’re absolutely sure there won’t be any warping. I finished my piece of Bacote a couple of weeks before, and it’s stayed true. I think I’ll switch Mack to a thicker piece of Patagonian Rosewood for the next build. It’s heavy as hell but resists warping.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:04 PM

I hear ya....by the way, nothing to post!
I hope to see a up date soon from your build as well. I am intrigued by your cutting the tabs off. Question, did you double the frame bottom/upper deck. I still find myself building on a piece of 1/4" glass. Any hoo, up date dude. 8)
Rick
Old 12-06-2018, 06:21 PM

Yep, update coming soon. I was in Rome, Italy last week and when I got home had to finish a 1/700 build that was nearly complete as it is. I’ve done some work on Emden today, but I haven’t had a chance to photograph it yet.

In the meantime, SMS Scharfschütze;

Old 12-13-2018, 06:18 PM

Outstanding my friend.
Rick
Old 12-20-2018, 09:36 AM

It’s time I posted an update. Most of the superstructure is finished as is almost all of the hull details. I haven’t run into any substantial issues but it seems the ships boat situation uncovered by DRG is going to be something to think about.

I spent a substantial part of yesterday afternoon building the aft funnel. The funnel base is a complex fold (for me) and for the next 2 I’ll tackle them quite differently. Lessons learned.

The masts hahe really been on my mind lately. I use Modelkasten tungsten rigging wire so I could make them out of paper with no worries about sagging, but the resin ship modeler in me keeps eyeing the brass tube and the soldering iron. I’m reasonably sure at Thais point I’m going to build the masts from brass.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:38 PM

I shouldn’t rely so much on autocorrect and actually proof-read for once!
Old 12-20-2018, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's a truly beautiful model, and I enjoy your narrative, which is always well written - although "hahe" made me think for a minute. Until I realized it was a typo, I thought it was a term of art.

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 12-20-2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: To correct a typo of my own.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:13 PM

I agree with Don - it's going to be a beauty. Fast work too. I'm looking at your rowing boat there with some envy. I've yet to figure out mine.

Also, not wanting to hijack your thread with my own pictures, but its a question really: I'm running out of parts now, but there are still three white location dots with nothing to fit to them. I can see them on your model too:

Any ideas what was meant to fit in those places?

Also, these bits which I think the instruction parts list translation means “casemate breakwaters”. Can’t find them in the illustrated instructions, or on any reference images:

Keep up the good work!
Old 12-20-2018, 07:18 PM

Thanks! Glad you like, and sorry about the typo. I’ve already admitted to being a high-functioning idiot, and I stand by that!

Those white circles, two I can answer off the top of my head, the other I need to wait until I get home.

The small white circle on the radio room is the spot where the antenna connect. I’m not sure why they chose to make it so large, but that’s the spot. The small white circle near the capstans isn’t mentioned at all in the instructions but it’s where the spare anchor handling crane is located. I’ve only been able to make out in a couple photos and it’s nothing more than a dark spot. One drawing I have shows or connected to the breakwater on Emden but I don’t think this is correct but rather for Dresden.. It’s one of those small collapsible cranes that probably folds forward. The white circle is the base of the crane, which HMV never mentions.

The midships circle I’m still looking into.

I think the casemate breakwaters are holdover parts from when one could build either Emden or Dresden from this kit, and I think they’re Dresden parts, but that I’m not sure about either. I’ve never seen anything like them on the prototype photos of either ship
Google Adsense