PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > > >

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-28-2018, 02:39 PM
Olo Olo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milton, Ontario
Posts: 205
Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
First part of the deck finished, and painted with dark brown wash. Started working on main deck.

HMS Hood-20181228_153408.jpg

HMS Hood-20181228_142751.jpg

HMS Hood-20181228_153424.jpg

HMS Hood-20181228_142810.jpg

HMS Hood-20181228_152023.jpg
__________________
Passion is the key....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-29-2018, 08:43 AM
lizard lizard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St Neots, UK
Posts: 23
Total Downloaded: 229.13 MB
Wouldn't be a better idea to use natural wood veneer? Cut it into matching strips and arrange on the deck to match the print. The planks you use are too glossy I think. The wash highlighted it even more as well as all misalignments. Also the widths are not correct. Another thing that doesn't look good are dowels. Not sure if they were used in Hood, but even if so, wouldn't be visible in 1/200 scale. Good luck in further build. Will keep looking.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-29-2018, 09:43 AM
Olo Olo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milton, Ontario
Posts: 205
Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard View Post
Wouldn't be a better idea to use natural wood veneer? Cut it into matching strips and arrange on the deck to match the print. The planks you use are too glossy I think. The wash highlighted it even more as well as all misalignments. Also the widths are not correct. Another thing that doesn't look good are dowels. Not sure if they were used in Hood, but even if so, wouldn't be visible in 1/200 scale. Good luck in further build. Will keep looking.
Great comments Lizard.I will start again with the deck. I will try to use wood veneer to get better result. Here is my learning process. Thank you for great comments and lecture.
__________________
Passion is the key....

Last edited by Olo; 12-29-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-30-2018, 09:15 AM
Olo Olo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milton, Ontario
Posts: 205
Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Folks please give me some recommendation. I have decided to use wood as suggested by Lizard. I have tried different methods and colors for the deck. Since there are no color pictures of the Hood's deck please share your thoughts what color and method would be the best.

HMS Hood-20181230_100830.jpg
__________________
Passion is the key....

Last edited by Olo; 12-30-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-30-2018, 12:05 PM
maurice's Avatar
maurice maurice is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 491
Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
This is a relatively recent picture, from an unremembered source, of the planking on HMS Belfast which was of course contemporaneous with HMS Hood.
It shows dowels over the fastenings - but surely not detectable at 1/200 - and the colour of scrubbed wood decking both when dry and wet.
Attached Thumbnails
HMS Hood-hmsbelfast.jpg  
Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
  #16  
Old 12-30-2018, 03:17 PM
lizard lizard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St Neots, UK
Posts: 23
Total Downloaded: 229.13 MB
I think the samples 1-3 are the closest. 4-6 are too dark. What type of wash do you use? From my experience I would recommend oil based artists paints thinned with white spirit. I would try to use some browns with yellows and a bit of grey. To get the right shade is a try and error process I think. There is also another technique to get ineresting looking deck. Take few sheets of veneer and stain in slightly different shades of browns, yellows and greys (each sheet of different colour) then cut them into strips and mix the planks. After that use this mixture to glue separate planks randomly. Very arduous but effect is really rewarding.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-30-2018, 03:59 PM
romanmodels's Avatar
romanmodels romanmodels is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nr Devizes Wilts uk
Posts: 1,725
Total Downloaded: 3.80 MB
I whoud of left the deck a lone
__________________
David........... paper modeling give's you a happy high........ currently building . eu07 electric loco, wonder woman . Sd.anh.166.

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-30-2018, 07:48 PM
Olo Olo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milton, Ontario
Posts: 205
Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice View Post
This is a relatively recent picture, from an unremembered source, of the planking on HMS Belfast which was of course contemporaneous with HMS Hood.
It shows dowels over the fastenings - but surely not detectable at 1/200 - and the colour of scrubbed wood decking both when dry and wet.
thanks for this picture. It is very helpful.
__________________
Passion is the key....
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-30-2018, 11:08 PM
Olo Olo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milton, Ontario
Posts: 205
Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard View Post
I think the samples 1-3 are the closest. 4-6 are too dark. What type of wash do you use? From my experience I would recommend oil based artists paints thinned with white spirit. I would try to use some browns with yellows and a bit of grey. To get the right shade is a try and error process I think. There is also another technique to get ineresting looking deck. Take few sheets of veneer and stain in slightly different shades of browns, yellows and greys (each sheet of different colour) then cut them into strips and mix the planks. After that use this mixture to glue separate planks randomly. Very arduous but effect is really rewarding.
I use vallejo washes.
__________________
Passion is the key....

Last edited by Olo; 12-31-2018 at 12:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-31-2018, 12:43 AM
Olo Olo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milton, Ontario
Posts: 205
Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
What do you guys think of this finish?
Used piece of wood, and made a little tool HMS Hood-20181231_011340.jpg with needles .8 mm apart to match the width of the planks from the print,and traced the lines. Than I cover this piece of wood with HMS Hood-20181231_011202.jpg to get the color and than highlighted the lines with HMS Hood-20181231_011220.jpg. This is finish effect.

HMS Hood-20181231_011732.jpg
HMS Hood-20181231_013045.jpg
HMS Hood-20181231_013125.jpg
HMS Hood-20181231_013132.jpg

It gaves me the old and used look and it is time effective method. What are your thoughts ?
__________________
Passion is the key....
Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 8.33%
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2007-17, Paper Modelers.com