PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-02-2019, 10:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I really like the idea of using individual planks in various shades, this would give the most realistic result but would also be extremely time consuming, it comes down to how much effort you want to put into it. Personally, I like to spend time adding extra detail, I've got a few models where I rushed ahead and didn't bother and now that I look back at them I wish I'd put in the extra effort.

Having said that, the method you've chosen, adding grooves, adds that subtle 3D effect that adds plenty to the final model, just as you did with the rivets on your last model.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 01-02-2019, 11:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post
I really like the idea of using individual planks in various shades, this would give the most realistic result but would also be extremely time consuming, it comes down to how much effort you want to put into it. Personally, I like to spend time adding extra detail, I've got a few models where I rushed ahead and didn't bother and now that I look back at them I wish I'd put in the extra effort.

Having said that, the method you've chosen, adding grooves, adds that subtle 3D effect that adds plenty to the final model, just as you did with the rivets on your last model.
I also did like the idea of using individual planks ,but when I looked at how many decks are there in the kit....It would take me a year to finish it...This is way I used my last method with the tool made out of needles....I also like to add extra details to models so I will use that time to do so.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:47 PM

Quick pick on what is happening with Hood. All parts are not glued yes since I would like to check all the fittings before I glue them. So far all parts fits percetly.

HMS Hood-20190104_183335.jpg

HMS Hood-20190104_183413.jpg

HMS Hood-20190104_183439.jpg
Old 01-05-2019, 04:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 345.47 MB
That is one of the most satisfying points during the build. The first time too see the size of the ship. At this point I would recommend to soak the edges with superglue. The lasercuts can drink plenty of glue. Sealing edges helps gluing the frames together afterwards.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard View Post
That is one of the most satisfying points during the build. The first time too see the size of the ship. At this point I would recommend to soak the edges with superglue. The lasercuts can drink plenty of glue. Sealing edges helps gluing the frames together afterwards.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will do that....

This is going to be a monster wow.....

HMS Hood-20190105_193728.jpg

HMS Hood-20190105_193734.jpg

HMS Hood-20190105_193743.jpg
Old 01-05-2019, 06:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I usually use superglue in the joins, after setting the frame in place with white glue, then run a little white glue across the edges with my finger to let that soak in, i find the skins stick a bit better later on, having to stick to a surface already soaked with pva/white glue.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 01-05-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post
I usually use superglue in the joins, after setting the frame in place with white glue, then run a little white glue across the edges with my finger to let that soak in, i find the skins stick a bit better later on, having to stick to a surface already soaked with pva/white glue.
thanks for all useful hints jaffro
Old 01-06-2019, 06:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 345.47 MB
But I wouldn't recommend white/pva glue to bond skins to the frames. It will moisture the skins and will deform. For me brown neoprene glue works the best.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Quote:
But I wouldn't recommend white/pva glue to bond skins to the frames. It will moisture the skins and will deform. For me brown neoprene glue works the best.
Do you have a source for "brown neoprene glue"? If you really want to pizz the wife off check Amazon for it!!

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...+neoprene+glue
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 01-06-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I will use BUDAPREN glue