PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-16-2018, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
SMS Emden Kleiner Kreuzer 1914 1/250 HMV

Recently, I’ve taken up card modeling, having been a life-long resin and scratch-building ship modeler. I wouldn’t say it’s a permanent change but it is nice to explorer other mediums and break up the monotony of small bits of resin and brass. I’ve mostly concentrated on 1/700 WWI and some WWII warships, but I prefer the ships of the Great War since there is far less “baggage” than some of the ships from WWII.

Here is what I’m normally up to, my 1/700 resin and brass warships, some are full scratch builds, others are resin hulls with scratch built super structures. I’m not much of a fan of plastic kits. I find them fiddly and awkward with few exceptions.

My first card model with any result was SMS Viribus Unitis. Not only is VU my favorite of the WWI dreadnoughts, but JSCs offering seemed like a less complex model than some and a good place to learn. I made a few mistakes, and generally learned how I wanted to do things. One thing I learned is that I really don’t like the little tabs one folds down for holding other parts at 90 degrees. From now on, they go. I found it much easier to do my own thing to create a cleaner, sharper edge and joint.

Next I wanted to try a small HMV kit to see how well things fit, and what to expect with Emden. I chose their coastal defense gunboat models of SMS Natter and SMS Wespe, only building Natter. I made some changes to the structure of the hull and the superstructure, mostly internally. The rest is HMV with the exception of the railings, which are laser cut. I did add some railings on the superstructure abeam the funnel with dodgers from another kit.

So on to Emden. I was inspired by DRGs build that he has going in his thread. His meticulous work, and the fact is just read a pair of books on Emden and Dresden made the decision for me, Emden it is.

DRG has given me some preliminary advice that really helped out in the initial keel-laying so to speak. He mentions that things aren’t always perfect and that came to a head very quickly when I noticed that at least one of the alignment guides on the transverse frame was off, throwing off the whole thing. Now, having realized a long time ago that I’m a high-functioning idiot, I was absolutely certain that this was something I had either goofed up or wasn’t seeing properly. However, after some mocking-up and some measuring, it became clear that the issue wasn’t me. I did solve the problem with some more dry fitting and figuring out what I should ignore so that critical parts later on would fit properly and in the end everything on the frame is true and correctly positioned.

Keel Laying

Herr Inspektor dropping by to check my work.

The hull framing

More to come...
Google Adsense
Old 11-16-2018, 03:54 PM

Looking forward to this one.

Nice work so far.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
Very impressive work. Endurance is amazing !
Old 11-16-2018, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
All fascinating stuff. It is a pleasure to see you applying your very substantial skills to the paper medium. So far, everything looks first rate.

Have you also built airplane models (Imperial, BOAC, and British Air, presumably)?

Don
Old 11-17-2018, 01:05 AM

Thanks everyone!

I’m an air traffic controller and occasional commercial pilot, so I tend to avoid aircraft models actually. I spend all day in aviation, it’s hard to do anything with it as a hobby. Ha!
Google Adsense
Old 11-17-2018, 11:54 AM

Will enjoy this thread.
Rick
Old 11-17-2018, 12:09 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention, the base is Bacote that I hand shaped and finished with tung oil. I let it dry for about 2 weeks then sanded one last time. Bacote resists warping and looks beautiful. I have some hand made 3mm metal letters to spell out her name in high relief but I’ll save those for the end.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:35 AM

Just a small update.

The hull sides and decks are in place now, and the learning curve has been steep but I’m holding my own, but I have to keep reminding myself that I’m still learning.

Again, DRGs build has been an incredible resource as I stagger along, and he’s been very helpful with his tips offline as well.

At this point I’m going to start the deck equipment.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:24 PM

Looks good - Nice to see the hull guns fitted.

Now things start to get complicated :-)

They werent kidding about the "sehr schwierig" thing on the cover!

Not sure whether you've got this reference already, but I'm finding it a useful addition to the instructions, and maybe for a few additional details:

SMS EMDEN SHIPS PLANS
Old 11-26-2018, 08:26 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird View Post
Just a small update.

The hull sides and decks are in place now, and the learning curve has been steep but I’m holding my own, but I have to keep reminding myself that I’m still learning.

Again, DRGs build has been an incredible resource as I stagger along, and he’s been very helpful with his tips offline as well.

At this point I’m going to start the deck equipment.
Question....did you skin and in what order or did you do as DRG did.
Rick