PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-25-2019, 06:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Outstanding work, as always, Mike. Thanks for the information on your building techniques and for the historic image illustrating the points you made. I guess those two types of anchors exemplify the transitional nature of these ships.

Don
Old 11-25-2019, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
I've said it before and it bears repeating - finest design/build thread since Carl "Golden Bear" Beetz published his designs several years ago. Your attention to detail and perfection of fit are awe-inspiring. One can only hope that you will publish the completed design in the future so that we mortals can try to emulate your example. I am saving this thread as a .pdf document for future reference. Keep on keepin' on and don't forget the scale museum in which to put the completed project on display...
Old 11-25-2019, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
Clean crisp and precise ! You are the maestro !
Old 11-25-2019, 01:00 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBoy View Post
I've said it before and it bears repeating - finest design/build thread since Carl "Golden Bear" Beetz published his designs several years ago. Your attention to detail and perfection of fit are awe-inspiring. One can only hope that you will publish the completed design in the future so that we mortals can try to emulate your example. I am saving this thread as a .pdf document for future reference. Keep on keepin' on and don't forget the scale museum in which to put the completed project on display...

Thanks Don, YankeeBoy and ShipBuild.

Regarding YankeeBoy’s comments:
He inspires me to write. So this might go on for a while . . . . . .
The work of Carl Beetz is the reason I became an active member of PaperModelers.com.
It was late in 2008 when I signed up for this site. But I had no intention of becoming active.
Even though I had been building models for about 6 years, I just wanted to look at the pictures.
Then I saw it: Carl (Golden Bear) was building the impossible from scratch . . . old old pre-dreadnought French battleships. I couldn’t believe it. I was so inspired I knew I had to leave some comments of encouragement on his build threads. That forced me to become an “active” member. Later, Carl produced a number of kits so that others could build those ships. From time to time people ask me if I plan to turn my project(s) into a kit. Unfortunately, I am unable to do so. One of the remarkable things about Golden Bear was: He could design, build and release a kit in a year. For me, just building a ship takes about a year and a half, sometimes longer. The amount of additional work that must be done to turn a scratch-build into a kit is (for me) overwhelming. However, I would encourage any modeler/craftsperson that wants to build a ship (or anything) that is not available in a kit, to go for it.

Start with something small and simple. It won’t be long before you can build anything you want.

Regards,
Mike
Old 11-25-2019, 05:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
The stockless anchors were a new type when she was built, and the Navy constructors were very conservative...so both types were used.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:50 PM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royaloakmin View Post
The stockless anchors were a new type when she was built, and the Navy constructors were very conservative...so both types were used.

Thanks Fred.
Your answer to the anchor question is excellent.
It sheds light on some of the ideas of the builders.
Mike
Old 11-30-2019, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Nice update Mike the addition of the chains and anchors adds to the realism of the model significantly...pretty work
Old 11-30-2019, 03:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 48.92 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to Dane
My congrats to you! Excellent work. But the model of this level should have anchor chain with studs. It will be more spectacular.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:46 AM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
My congrats to you! Excellent work. But the model of this level should have anchor chain with studs. It will be more spectacular.

Dane is correct, as seen in this image.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-141-anchor-chains.jpg  
Old 12-16-2019, 05:47 AM
POTM Moderator

21 – Forward Superstructure

Thanks Glen and Dane for the kind words.

A sudden surprise attack by a Streptococcus Virus slowed progress here.
However, recovery during the past week allowed some work to get done.

After installing some gangway hatches around the forward turret, and test fitting the navigation deck the focus is now on the forward superstructure. That signals the beginning of work on railing and ladders. The railing templates seen in image 144 show the new uncut sections of railing. They are made simply from paper and paint.

The armored conning tower and charthouse are made with combinations of paper and card. The ladders are entirely paper.

Finally the last two photos show a test fit of the armored conning tower and charthouse.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-142-nav-deck-ladders-hatches-gangway-covers.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-143-navigation-deck.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-144-railing-templates.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-145-superstructure-assemblies.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-146-forward-superstructure.jpg  

U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-147-forward-superstructure.jpg  
Google Adsense