PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-05-2019, 06:34 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
U.S.S. Connecticut - 1/250 Scratch Build

Act of July 1902:
“. . . . . . The President is hereby authorized to have constructed by contract . . . . . first-class battle ships carrying the heaviest armor and most powerful ordnance for vessels of their class upon a trial displacement of not more than sixteen thousand tons, and to have the highest practicable speed and great radius of action, and to cost, exclusive of armor and armament, not exceeding four million two hundred and twelve thousand dollars each . . . . Said vessels . . . . . in all their parts shall be of domestic machinery, and the steel material shall be of domestic manufacture . . . . . Not more than two of the battleships, shall be built by one contracting party……”

Hello Modelers:

This begins work to scratch build the American battleship U.S.S. Connecticut BB-18, circa 1906.

At 455 feet in length, and 76 feet at the beam, this was the largest class of the American pre-dreadnoughts. The Connecticut class consisted of six ships: Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Minnesota, Kansas and Louisiana. The drawings I ordered came from the Maryland Silver Company and they are of the U.S.S. Louisiana. I am not aware of any significant differences between the six ships, but this project will give me a chance to discover them, if they exist. The Maryland Silver Company is a good source of plans for many American warships from that era.

I used Sketchup to draw and size the hull frame parts. Each part is made by doubling (laminating) 65lb card stock. Here are the first photos of the work.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-001-connecticut-1906.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-002-hull-frames.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-003-hull-frames.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-004-hull-frames.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-005-hull-frames-forward.jpg  

U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-006-drawing-crossmembers.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-007-drawing-keel.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-008-hull-frames-aft.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-05-2019, 06:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Way cool, Mike. Dam but you do awesome work.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
The Great White Fleet sails again! I'm looking forward to this build.

David T. Okamura
Old 01-05-2019, 08:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
What great news that you are beginning another steam-and-steel era warship, Mike. I eagerly look forward to your building of this magnificent ship. If I understand you correctly, your are building Connecticut as it appeared when it was commissioned in 1906 and not with the cage masts as in the Image 7 drawing?

That first image is one of the most dramatic pictures of a Great White Fleet warship I have seen. According to the Wiki article, the photography boat was swamped by the bow wave shortly after the photo was taken. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Co...t_-_NH_553.jpg

Bon voyage!

Don
Old 01-05-2019, 08:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Ahoy mike
Looks like you and I are together with Roosevelts Great White Fleet The Connecticut looks almost like that of my Brooklyn they both share the same tons of detail to make it look ancient great head start Hardy Well done mike I be watching buddy. Happy New Year

Boats
Old 01-05-2019, 08:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Ahoy mike
Looks like you and I are together with Roosevelts Great White Fleet The Connecticut looks almost like that of my Brooklyn they both share the same tons of detail to make it look ancient great head start Hardy Well done mike I be watching buddy. Happy New Year

Boats
Sorry Mike I forgot to upload here it is
Boats
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-sam_3777.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-sam_3778.jpg  
Old 01-06-2019, 06:22 AM
POTM Moderator

Thanks Greg and David.

And Thanks Boats for the images of your scratchbuild of U.S.S. Maine. I would like to get to that one someday. So many ships, so little time.

Mike
Old 01-06-2019, 06:26 AM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
What great news that you are beginning another steam-and-steel era warship, Mike. I eagerly look forward to your building of this magnificent ship. If I understand you correctly, your are building Connecticut as it appeared when it was commissioned in 1906 and not with the cage masts as in the Image 7 drawing?

That first image is one of the most dramatic pictures of a Great White Fleet warship I have seen. According to the Wiki article, the photography boat was swamped by the bow wave shortly after the photo was taken. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Co...t_-_NH_553.jpg

Bon voyage!

Don

Thank you Don, and so glad to have you aboard.

Yes, you are correct. I plan to build her as she was in 1906. The plans I have reflect the ship after the 1908 refit. So I will need to make some modifications to take her back to the original configuration. Regarding that photo: about the photographer being swamped by the bow wave. Yes, I read that story. Apparently the camera survived the wet adventure!
Mike
Old 01-06-2019, 08:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
This I will be following with glee! This was the time frame that the US Navy recovered from its post Civil War doldrums and became the basis for what we have today.

I have devoured all of Alfred Thayer Mahan's works.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 01-06-2019, 09:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
As much as I'd like to see the Mash Approach to the cage masts, the ship looks far more balanced with the launch masts.
Google Adsense