PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-07-2019, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Red lead was common as a primer on early steel ships, but I think the paint shown is a grey primer.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:18 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
07 – Casemate Decks

Thanks Don and Fred.

The Seven-inch casemate turrets/guns were completed over the past few weeks.
Each gun turret is made from seven parts, all paper. I rolled approx. twenty barrels to get the final 12 that passed inspection. Connecticut had 6 per side.

The casemate hull plates were designed and added. They are made of card.

The last two images show the test-fit of the main deck (the moment of truth). I will glue it down after cutting the openings for the turrets, anchor chains, and making certain everything lines up properly.
It is printed on card.

The historic image from Navsource shows how the casemate guns should look.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-044-seven-inch-gun-turret-parts.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-045-seven-inch-turrets-assembled.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-046-port-bow-casemate-deck.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-047-starboard-bow-casemate-deck.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-048-starboard-stern-casemate-deck.jpg  

U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-049-starboard-bow-casemate-deck.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-050-starboard-stern-deck-test.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-051-starboard-bow-deck-test.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-052-starboard-side-casemate-deck.jpg  
Old 04-27-2019, 01:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's good to see your usual clean and very precise work on those 7-inch casemate guns, and I always enjoy seeing the historical images.

Don
Old 04-27-2019, 06:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
The barrels are a real accomplishment. Well done. I was just wondering myself how long it would take me to work up the best technique for creating barrels for the Musashi. This will really test my patience.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Very nice Mike, delicate work with the guns and the lower hull and props look great
Old 04-28-2019, 12:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 440.44 MB
Hello Mike,

just found your current work!
It is a pleasure to watch your precise work and progress!
Is there any chance, that you share this buildreport with your friends at "Die Kartonmodellbauer"?

Cheers from Vienna/Austria,

Wiwo
Old 04-28-2019, 05:46 PM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiwo1961 View Post
Hello Mike,

just found your current work!
It is a pleasure to watch your precise work and progress!
Is there any chance, that you share this buildreport with your friends at "Die Kartonmodellbauer"?

Cheers from Vienna/Austria,

Wiwo

Hello Wolfgang,
Thank you for the kind comments.
I appreciate your invitation to display this project at "Die Kartonmodellbauer”.

My previous project was displayed on three websites: “Papermodelers.com”, “ Die Kartonmodellbauer”, and “Maquettes en papier”. I discovered it was an enormous amount of work. And it became impossible to keep up with all the work my fellow modelers were doing.

So when I began this new project, I decided to document the work on one site only.
Also, I must say, "Die Kartonmodellbauer” is a wonderful site. There are many skilled builders there that are dedicated to the art/craft of paper modeling. I go there to see their work when I can. I have not seen your updates about “Lavoisier” recently. Are you continuing to work on it?

Gruß
Mike
Old 04-29-2019, 12:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 440.44 MB
Good morning Mike,

the two french ladies are paused, but will be continued in about one month.
Currently I have to do a friendship job - the Viribus Unitis in 1:350, a resin-cast from Combrig with fotoetched parts, painting with airbrush and by hand.
Not my world, but I promised to do that.

I understand your decision, to be present only here at papermodellers.
I am posting at three sites, they are all german speaking and no translation is needed. So it is easier.

But I missed you at "Die Kartonmodellbauer".

Cheers,

Wiwo
Old 05-01-2019, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.68 MB
Excellent work!!!
Old 05-18-2019, 06:36 PM
POTM Moderator

08 – Stern Upper Hull

Thanks gentlemen for the comments.

I don’t want the dust to claim the new wood deck, so it was time to assemble the dust cover as the first two images show. It is a wood frame with Plexiglas panels.

Been working hard on the upper hull plates around the stern. I wanted to replicate some good printed detail along with negotiating the shape of the parts around the curves. I think it worked out okay. The portholes were punched out. Then pieces of navy blue paper were glued to the backside to create the illusion of darkness inside the hull. The final image shows the beginning of the finished look. It is still a bit sloppy. A little more work will clean it up.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-053-dust-cover-panels.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-054-dust-cover-completed.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-055-stern-upper-hull.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-056-port-stern-upper-hull.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 05-18-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Google Adsense