Old 12-26-2019, 06:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great - thanks!
Old 01-06-2020, 05:45 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
22 – Forward Superstructure

Thanks and Happy New Year Crafts Workers:

The Navigation Deck has been installed. Above that is another deck. Until someone corrects me, I shall call it the “Steering Deck”, since there will be a small cabin on the forward part that will house a binnacle and steering wheel (later).

Supporting the steering deck are two (port and starboard) arched support columns. Those took a while to design, but I think the result was worth the effort. In image 154 one can see the frames for the columns with many circular openings/holes. It would have been fun to engineer them that way but later, in image 155, one can see they have been plated over.

The steering deck is made with card, while the arched support columns are made with paper.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-148-navigation-deck.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-149-navigation-deck.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-150-forward-superstructure.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-151-steering-deck-columns.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-152-steering-deck-support-columns.jpg  

U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-153-steering-deck-support-columns.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-154-superstructure-under-constructioln.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-155-superstructure-completed.jpg  
Old 01-06-2020, 10:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Looking very clean, especially the even and true tiny railings...
Old 01-06-2020, 05:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
You could just call it the bridge. Looks great by any name!
Old 01-06-2020, 05:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
The wings were to facilitate transit in the Panama Canal and other tight spaces.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The bridge is, as always, beautifully crafted; the images of the ship are magnificent; and I always enjoy the historical photographs.

Apologies for never having sent you the scans of the photographs I promised months ago. Events distracted me and I currently have no ability to scan (hors de combat PC and the Apple won't talk to the scanner). Someday . . .

Don
Old 01-20-2020, 05:33 AM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
The bridge is, as always, beautifully crafted; the images of the ship are magnificent; and I always enjoy the historical photographs.

Apologies for never having sent you the scans of the photographs I promised months ago. Events distracted me and I currently have no ability to scan (hors de combat PC and the Apple won't talk to the scanner). Someday . . .

Don

Not a problem Don.
I wish I could help you with your "hors de combat PC and the Apple".
Old 01-20-2020, 05:35 AM
POTM Moderator

23 – Superstructure Details

Thanks Glen, Fred and Don:

Just a few images here to document some of the assemblies being created for the forward superstructure.

Two more Ladders, the Lower Mast Platform with Brackets and the Steering/Binacle will add some detail to the appearance. Everything seen in image 158 is made of paper, except the core of the binnacle. That cylinder is wood wrapped in paper.

I did some experimenting with lighting in the final two photos. It was an attempt to capture the best view I could of these tiny assemblies installed. In image 160, the mast is not yet glued into place, so I removed it to highlight the steering assembly and ladders connecting the main deck with the navigation deck. In image 161 I managed to get a view of the steering/binnacle and the support brackets on the underside of the mast platform.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-156-bridge-mast-assemblies.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-157-bridge-mast.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-158-bridge-assemblies.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-159-bridge-assemblies.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-160-superstructure-view-aft.jpg  

U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-161-superstructure-view-starboard.jpg  
Old 01-20-2020, 07:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
This continues to be a most impressive design and build project. Your techniques for cutting and glueing are perfection. I look forward to future installments. Thank you for sharing!
Old 01-26-2020, 07:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
More than outstanding. Your details are on another level.