PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-06-2019, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti

Good evening and happy 2019 for all of you!

It has been a while since I posted something new. In december 2018 I took some time off work and went to visit my folks. Thats where the shipyard is. So I thought that it was about time I began a new model, a more challenging one.

Being so, I decided to pay my tribute to Zio Prudenzio and build his Zara, which is a free model kit, which I downloaded a long time ago.

A bit of history before we begin. Zara was an Italian heavy cruiser laid down in 1929 and comissioned in 1930. She was used for convoy harassing during the early years of the second world war.. It was the flagship of the 1st division of the italian navy.

She and her sister ships: Pola, Fiume were sunk in the Battle of Cape Matapan, in March 1941 by a british task force.

The model is the most detailed one I ever built. Sheets and more sheets of paper, which I printed in 90g, 150g and 180g. Depending on the size and structural function of the part, I will chose the proper grammature.

I am a bit advanced already, so I'm going to make a weekly post.

Here we have some pictures of the ship and the first steps of the model. The base of the hull, the keel and the transverse bulkheads.

It is a large model, same scale as the titanic, but at the end of this stage, we already got quite the stiff hull.

Best regards

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3438.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3414.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3418.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3421.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3423.jpg  

RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3430.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3431.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3433.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3435.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3437.jpg  

RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3439.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-07-2019, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 345.47 MB
Also have this ship in my near future plans, so will keep looking how you are doing with it. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:37 PM

Good evening fellas!

Lizard, my techniques and building standards are no match to some of our colleagues` in this forum. But I`ll be glad to show you my building step by step, so you don`t have as mani surprises as I had.

So, we are continuing with the hull. This is quite a challenging part and it kinda sets the tone for the rest of the model, its the basis in which all the other structures will be built upon.

Differently from what I did in the Scharnhorst, in this one, I began with adding the bottom side plates, then the decks, then the upper side plates. As for those, I also did differently. Instead of gluing them all before adding to the ship, I glued the one by one, as I see many of you doing.

Unfortunately, the sheets printed on 180g paper were in poor quality. To counter that, I glued other sheets over them, printed on common office paper, but with a better quality. For that reason you will notice the hull with more vivid colors in the last pictures.

Well, the final result isn`t the smoothest hull, but I managed to remove a lot of wrinkles using a hair dryer and the additional layer of plates. I suppose that using some sort of foam o fill the gaps in the hull will make it a lot better, like I have seen in some of your builds.

Anyways, as usual, any comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Best regards

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3442.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3443.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3444.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3449.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3450.jpg  

RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3451.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3456.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3457.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3458.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3461.jpg  

RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3468.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3469.jpg  
Old 01-13-2019, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
this is a great model
Old 01-13-2019, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
So I know that Zio's aircraft are not exactly accurate. How do his ship models rate?
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense
Old 01-14-2019, 12:34 PM

Hey Michael, I don't know the ship well enough to determine if the model is accurate. But, if by accurate, you mean the general fitting of the parts, I can say that a lot of modifications were required in order to fit some.

The Scharnhorst got a reprint in 2011 correcting many of those, so I consider it a better model than Zara in that context. As you will notice from the next steps, I had to make a series of adaptations and there are many imperfections.

One of my goals with this post is to point them out and give suggestions so anyone can fix it.

Overall, the model is great, has a lot of details. There are so many parts, that I hope to overshadow the small defects with them.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by edumalta View Post
Good evening fellas!

Lizard, my techniques and building standards are no match to some of our colleagues` in this forum. But I`ll be glad to show you my building step by step, so you don`t have as mani surprises as I had.

So, we are continuing with the hull. This is quite a challenging part and it kinda sets the tone for the rest of the model, its the basis in which all the other structures will be built upon.

Differently from what I did in the Scharnhorst, in this one, I began with adding the bottom side plates, then the decks, then the upper side plates. As for those, I also did differently. Instead of gluing them all before adding to the ship, I glued the one by one, as I see many of you doing.

Unfortunately, the sheets printed on 180g paper were in poor quality. To counter that, I glued other sheets over them, printed on common office paper, but with a better quality. For that reason you will notice the hull with more vivid colors in the last pictures.

Well, the final result isn`t the smoothest hull, but I managed to remove a lot of wrinkles using a hair dryer and the additional layer of plates. I suppose that using some sort of foam o fill the gaps in the hull will make it a lot better, like I have seen in some of your builds.

Anyways, as usual, any comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Best regards

Ed
Some one in this forum also made a conversion kit to make this model full hull
]
Old 01-20-2019, 12:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.40 MB
Zio was an Italian Navy veteran. I believe he lived in Genoa. He had a sailboat, which is one of his paper models. He had the companionship of a beautiful Italian lady. He had friends in the Italian Navy who were officers, I believe, but he seemed to be on very minimum income.

Originally, he cast lead models of WW2 Italian warships. On his now-archived webpage you can find paper models of aircraft and even 2D figures for simple wargames.

I thought he had died and posted that somewhere, but he contacted me and said he hadn't died. I urged him to produce reduced versions of his paper model ships at the more prevalent 1:700 scale.

And then he died, very sadly. I hope it wasn't from lead poisoning. I don't know if he/they had any children.

You are doing good work, Ed. I've started colorizing my own models, some of which are on my CoatneyHistory webpage.

I actually originally got into paper model ship design to do the Italian warships which no one was doing in plastic. (WHY did Italeri do the German pocket battleships and the early version of the Hood instead at 1:720??)

Manually, I did the Soldati class destroyer and Conte di Cavour battleships and with CAD I've done the navigatoris, d'Abruzzi/Garibaldi light cruisers, and the reconstructed battleships, but I haven't converted them to .jpg/.png ... designing games mostly.

I have a Facebook wargamer friend on Malta, Vincent Baldacchino. Do you know him?

And now I must go out for my heart walk, up here in Norway's ice and snow.

Last edited by LouCoatney; 01-20-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:05 PM

Good evening, my friends,

Hello Lou! Thank you for telling us a bit of Zio`s history. He lives on the many fine paper models he gave us without charging a dime.

As for your friend in Malta, I suppose I don`t know him. Malta is actually my last name, I actually live in Brazil :-D. Did you say wargaming? What do you play?

Now, for the Zara, I have a little progress to share with you all. The first deck above the hull was added. It is actually at the same level as the bow, which is slightly higher than the rest of the hull.

For that, I employed the same technique as I did in the hull. Since the 180g print was terrible, I actually glued a new, thinner layer on top of it. After that was done, I finished laying the upper deck and added some attachments, such as portholes, sky-windows, chapstains, a catapult rail for the hydroplane and the stern crest.
Attached Thumbnails
RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3470.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3471.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3472.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3473.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3476.jpg  

RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3480.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3481.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3482.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3487.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3488.jpg  

RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3489.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3490.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3504.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3505.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3506.jpg  

RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3507.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3509.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3519.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3520.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3521.jpg  

Old 01-20-2019, 02:07 PM

Here are the remaining pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3522.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3525.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3526.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3528.jpg   RN Zara 1:200, Prudenziatti-img_3529.jpg  

Google Adsense

Tags
1:200, cruiser, prudenziatti, zara