PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-17-2019, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
This is an outstanding beginning!

It is always a great pleasure to see your work, and to see this beautiful battleship taking shape is a special treat.

Don
Thanks! I should have the port side casemates finished in the next day or so
Old 01-18-2019, 09:54 PM

I have this kit also. Your build looks great. I like that you post plenty of pics.
LOL I have a lot of kits like we do that may see day light.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:05 PM

The armor belt taking shape on the starboard side. The ship’s sides are no fewer than 9 layers of paper, and each layer refined the look. The initial layer wasn’t exactly square. It showed my minor imperfections and amplified them, but luckily each subsequent layer was squared up, until all of the misalignments disappeared. I don’t think these misalignments can be corrected while building the model or compensated for. The hull is such a long run and being off by 1/4mm really shows. Natural flexing and warpage could account for it, but it’s all square now so it doesn’t matter!

If you’re gonna have multiple pieces of long paper to build a hull, pick a model with a complex armor belt!!

Eh, corrected the visible surfaces.

Looking better....

Aaahhh, now that looks nice!
Old 01-21-2019, 04:13 PM

It looks great! Its a good sized kit as well.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:37 AM

Great project, I love the ships of the WW1 era. I'll keep looking over your shoulder.

Compliment
Reinhold
Google Adsense
Old 01-22-2019, 12:30 PM

Thanks guys, glad you are enjoying my musings.

A few notes before I take some photos of the finished hull: Firstly, ZipDry; use it with caution. It’s adequate but not strong by any means. I’m glad I used it, don’t get me wrong, however it’s easy to break a bond if you’re not careful. With the fragility of card models in general, this shouldn’t be a problem. If you’re looking for strength without warping, keep walking, this ain’t the droid you’re looking for.

Secondly, all the measurements and test fitting I did paid off well, but I did wind up being off in a couple places. I’m going to chalk it up to natural settling and move on. I was able to correct or hide my errors under the armor belt thankfully. To be honest, I don’t know how I’d plan for this or compensate on my next model since I was so careful throughout. Being new, perhaps this is just how it breaks?
Old 01-23-2019, 06:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird View Post

If you’re looking for strength without warping, keep walking, this ain’t the droid you’re looking for.
It's risky but I have become adept to using medium CA for laminating large paper sections, ie decks, long pieces etc. It's super strong and absolute zero warp. Just be careful, dry fit alignment, trimming are absolute the placement is critical, it dries very fast and that's it there are no adjustments.

Last edited by rickstef; 01-23-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:29 AM

[QUOTE=PAPER FAN;662128]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird View Post

If you’re looking for strength without warping, keep walking, this ain’t the droid you’re looking for.

It's risky but I have become adept to using medium CA for laminating large paper sections, ie decks, long pieces etc. It's super strong and absolute zero warp. Just be careful, dry fit alignment, trimming are absolute the placement is critical, it dries very fast and that's it there are no adjustments.

I agree about the CA. For laminating large pieces I use spray adhesive, but CA hardens too fast to manipulate large piece of the hull into place
Old 01-24-2019, 08:21 PM

Nothing new to report as of today. I’m working on bollards and bits, maybe other deck fittings as well, pretty boring stuff. I’ll post a photo once the deck is all cluttered up with “stuff”

I’m caught up in that US Govt shutdown nonsense and my drive to forge ahead on Baden has been checked. I’ll be back at it again hard once all that is over
Old 01-31-2019, 10:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.33 MB
I just tripped onto this build log, but your photos are not coming up. I have this kit in line and am working on SMS Goeben by JSC, which has been on a very long hold due to illnesses.

Bill Morrison
Google Adsense