PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-26-2019, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
All 4 turrets are finished, structurally anyway. The D turret is finished completely with the other 3 needing their details and life rafts.

I always try to include an item that was contemporary to the ship on the base. This time I chose a medallion given out to folks who donated their jewelry to the Empire to find the war. It reads “In Eiserner Zeit” or “In Iron Times”. I thought this was fitting since maybe some of that money went to fund the completion of the ship.

I chose to permanently fix the barrels with the starboard at the loading angle of 2.5° and the port at 16° of elevation. However, the turrets will be able to rotate inside the barbetts just in case I decide I want to change them later on.

I will be happy to have the turrets finished. If anyone comes along after me and reads this before they build the HMV Baden, for the love of god, cut the locator tabs off of the turrets and build an internal framework from scratch. You’ll be much happier you did. The roof of the turret is too large of an area to go unsupported.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Looking real nice, although I admit I'm not a fan of having the barrels non parallel, other than firing. I have never seen a ship at sea or at port with its guns trained anyway but dead ahead and only a few degrees of elevation. Sometimes in parade they may be elevated as a set, kind toyish for a model.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER FAN View Post
Looking real nice, although I admit I'm not a fan of having the barrels non parallel, other than firing. I have never seen a ship at sea or at port with its guns trained anyway but dead ahead and only a few degrees of elevation. Sometimes in parade they may be elevated as a set, kind toyish for a model.
I gotta say, I really dislike you calling my work toyish. If you have an opinion, keep it to yourself.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
A little late, but I use spackling compound instead of putty. Sands like dream, doesn't tear up the paper.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:23 PM

I don’t think I’ll be posting any more updates.

Last edited by speedbird; 02-27-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-27-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird View Post
I don’t think I’ll be posting any more updates.

Come on - because of one person's opinion? It looks superb, and the end result will speak for itself. How you display a model is entirely up to you. I've had criticism on forums for how a particular aircraft is displayed, for example a Spitfire with flaps down, engine covers off etc, and people were saying it was unrealistic because the flaps should always be up on the ground. My response: "maintenence", just like this image of the Bayern perhaps?

Please continue with posting progress.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
Your posts are excellent and work is superb. I hope you continue ! That's what makes this forum so worthwhile
Old 02-27-2019, 10:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Pity that the pictures are gone.. don't let yourself discouraged by one comment, please put the pictures back online !!!
Old 02-27-2019, 11:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 131.02 MB
I think it was a wonderful model... But anyone who can't appreciate the fact that a two foot long paper battleship might look like a "toy" to someone is probably holding themselves to unreasonable standards. Just a thought.

-Gregory
Old 02-27-2019, 11:33 AM

Thanks everyone.

That comment caught me in a bad place. I’d already had a few issues I had to fix, a lot of long hours working on the lower hull, getting it to my liking, then to get criticism just sent me over the edge. I’d spent a lot of time making sure the turrets looked good to my eye only to have it called toylike just ticked me off.

Really took away my interest to share my builds here.
Google Adsense