PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-20-2019, 05:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 MB
DKM Tirpitz, JSC, 1/400 scale

Repaint, vectorized and upgraded model by JSC. Underwater parts of hull are used from DKM Bismarck by GPM. Camouflage was using on Tirpitz in Faettenfjord, Norway, june 1942.
Google Adsense
Old 02-20-2019, 09:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
she looks great. is this the actual colors that jsc has released or did you edit them ?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:56 AM

I have an old model with faded colors, so I used the shades of colors that are listed as used on the Kriegsmarine ships of the Third Reich.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Thank you for sharing this interesting topic. I am a fan of the 1/400 scale and its main industry representative, JSC.

I believe that JSC rereleased this model using CAD / with new recolored panels.

Am I correct (Kasia)?
Old 02-21-2019, 02:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
i have the 2000 version
Google Adsense
Old 02-21-2019, 02:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireandpaper View Post
Thank you for sharing this interesting topic. I am a fan of the 1/400 scale and its main industry representative, JSC.

I believe that JSC rereleased this model using CAD / with new recolored panels.

Am I correct (Kasia)?
Tirpitz is now redrawn using computer. Colours are little different to what it was. Leaves and beach sand colours. Tirpitz was anchored to the sea shore by the forest. Her camouflage was coresponding woods colours
Attached Thumbnails
DKM Tirpitz, JSC, 1/400 scale-tirpitz-01.jpg   DKM Tirpitz, JSC, 1/400 scale-tirpitz-02.jpg  
Old 02-21-2019, 04:33 PM

For recolor and upgrade I using Corel graphic suite X5
Old 02-23-2019, 01:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
There is quite a bit of contention about this paint scheme. It’s known as “Scheme G” and was used for about a month in the summer of 1942. There is a degraded color photo of the ship in this scheme that seems to suggest greens and browns, however, after this photo is color corrected, the greens and browns disappear and it suggests the Germans used their stocks of grey paint. Additionally, no stocks of green and brown tint for the lead was carried in the stock. This doesn’t preclude the possibility that these stocks were shipped to Norway.

I was involved in the Asmussen Åkra book project “Tirpitz: Hitlers Last Battleship”. My copy is the crown jewel of my book collection, and I’ve literally had folks offer me a small fortune for my copy, it is THE Tirpitz monograph. I remember Asmussen and Åkra putting a lot of research into Scheme G and I was asked to weigh in myself. It really does seem that after the photo is corrected, it’s more grey than green.

Asmussen and Åkra supported their position with evidence and I looked over everything myself, I couldn’t find fault with what they were saying, and it did seem they’d gone deep into the archives. I had to side with them after hearing the pitch.

All this said, that’s deep level research in a book that few have ever heard of or seen in person. I think it’s completely reasonable after looking at the color photograph to take the opposite opinion, and I’d love to see new conflicting evidence myself. It’s no fun when a mystery is “solved”.

This is sort of similar to the Bismarck yellow turret tops. There are eyewitness accounts that they were painted yellow as she was retiring to France on May 26, 1941. No one is sure if it was completed. Even more contentious is the color of Bismarck’s turrets while working up in the Baltic. Most now believe they were dark grey, but still some believe red.

Just some interesting conversation here. I think it’s entirely reasonable to model Tirpitz in the green scheme, I have this kit myself, and someday I think it’ll make a fine build! Yours is absolutely gorgeous
Old 02-24-2019, 05:08 AM

Thanks for info Speedy. I haven't deep information about this using color scheme. I using color scheme of JSC and convers it in PC.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
color photo corrections aside, is there any mention of "borrowing" pigment locally as the germans did in the afrika theater. a ship commander "hiding" a ship during summers colors might want to blend it in with the local foliage.
Google Adsense