PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-15-2019, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.75 MB
Reina Mercedes 1887

First time posting and I’m going to try a ship model, and I’m going to need a lot of luck as this is my first attempt at something like this. I’ve always been fascinated by war ships of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. I’m no Golden Bear or Mike Marsh, so bear with me as I slog through what will be more of a stylized version of one of these models.

Never being the type that tackles something simple, I’ve chosen to build the Reina Mercedes (1887) from the Spanish Paper Boats (Los Barcos De Papel) site published by Jesus Maria Lopez. This site has some amazing and obscure ships and it is a real treat to visit and browse through the photos and plans offered. The only problem is there is no download for plans. Instead, you are offered JPEGs of both the ship models as built and sheets of plans that you can copy. The images are 1178x804 pixels in size at 72 DPI – not a lot of resolution. They are also rather simple when it comes to detail. The portholes, for instance, consist of rather blocky squares. There is also a strange pattern running through the white line above the red hull paint. I’m not sure what this is supposed to represent. The same pattern, a series of dots and possibly portholes, appears on several similar models on this site. None of this is meant to denigrate Mr. Lopez’s designs or artwork, he has obviously chosen to offer a less accurate but very pleasing take on these ships, and the colors and the final result make for some striking models.

I've included a photo from the site of the completed model - I'm not sure who the builder is - and the best shot of the actual ship I could find. You can note obvious differences between the two.

Another problem is scale. The Reina Mercedes was 278 feet long. The plans indicate a model length of about 90 centimeters or 35.4 inches. I’m pretty sure centimeters to be correct, as millimeters would produce a model 3-1/2 inches long. The actual photos of the model appear larger than that, but not as big as nearly a yard long. If my math is correct, using centimeters, this would be about 1/96 scale. Perhaps the bar at the top of the plans is just an arbitrary measurement to compare all the ships on the site to a single standard. At any rate, three feet is too big for my small display area, so for now I plan on building a model twenty inches long.

I chose the Reina Mercedes, a Spanish Navy unprotected cruiser, for her combination of ram bow, color scheme and sails. I just love the look of this ship in full sail and hope to do her justice with this build.

094602501.jpgportholes.jpg
001.jpg001.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Reina Mercedes 1887-094602501.jpg   Reina Mercedes 1887-portholes.jpg   Reina Mercedes 1887-001.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-15-2019, 05:15 PM

Apologies to Michael Mash for butchering his name.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks like a great, if challenging, project. I look forward to seeing you build it.

When I was a youngster in Baltimore (Maryland, USA) in the late 1940s and early 50s, I used to visit the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, where Reina Mercedes was moored as a barracks ship providing quarters for sailors assigned to the Naval Academy.

Best wishes for the build.

Don
Old 01-15-2019, 10:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
I will also enjoy watching this build. As a Midshipman, in the late '50s, I passed by her every day. She was also used as the brig for housing military that were awaiting a Court Martial. We had one Mid, during my time, that was sent to the brig there. I don't remember what the charge was, but it had to be serious. Even if charged with lying or cheating or petty theft, you were on room arrest until your trial by your peers. Someday, I would like to see someone build her as she looked in the late '50s.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:37 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Taylormade:

I looked up some photos of Reina Mercedes. Some show her with white upper hull, some with dark upper hull. Some show her with sails and without. She is a beautiful example of the changes during that era.
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 01-16-2019, 08:43 AM

The white upper hull photos provide the most detail, but there are still a lot of areas about which I have no clue. I fear she will be more of a display piece rather than an accurate scale model. I do like the dark blue hull on the parts sheet, but question if it is accurate. I would assume it was actually black, but the Spanish Navy May have used blue in the 1880s when this ship was commissioned. I’m sure plans exist somewhere, but where to find them?
Old 01-16-2019, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I wonder if the Naval Museum in Madrid (https://www.fundacionmuseonaval.com/) would be able to provide some information.

Contact info: https://www.fundacionmuseonaval.com/

Don
Old 01-16-2019, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 179.62 MB
This plan is not fully accurate, but it is the best you will find.
Attached Thumbnails
Reina Mercedes 1887-2445jqu.jpg   Reina Mercedes 1887-ae6r92.jpg  
Old 01-16-2019, 01:05 PM

Thanks. I actually found that one and am using what I can. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
You might also try the US Naval Institute at U.S. Naval Institute or the US Naval Academy Museum. Their email address for research is [email protected].
Google Adsense