PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-06-2019, 11:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.78 MB
Waitangi Day (our version of Independence day) and a Public holiday here in New Zealand yesterday meant a little time reflecting on Life, drinking a glass or two of fine Kiwi Wine and working a little on the Nagato , slowly working my way up the bridge superstructure with the help of paper Fans photos it's now so much easier. adding the harder to get at detail bits as i go the rest of the bits will be added closer to the end, started putting the AA gun barrels on but keep wiping them off so will add them at at the end of the build.

started playing around with what i can use for railing as nothing is available locally and i cant justify the huge mailing cost to get commercial ones in, maybe when I have a bit more practice and my models are better but at the moment I would consider PE railings a waste of money.
Had a go making some out of paper after all err thats what the rest of the ship is made out of lol, after a bit of fafing around made a few prototypes, to me maybe a bit overscale but do look better to the naked eye than in a photo and certainly better than no railings.

I haven't touched up the edges yet on them as i will do that right at the end of the build as Im hopeless at colour matching and will prob on get the colour match right one time , lol when I do i will just spend a few hours doing all the visible edges
Attached Thumbnails
Fly Models IJN Nagato-dsc_0726.jpg   Fly Models IJN Nagato-dsc_0723.jpg  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Have you considered laser cut paper railings? They're not too expensive. I buy a lot of laser detail parts from Drafmodel, I just had a look at their railings, not sure exactly what you need but here's a link to their 1:200 railings page.

I did a quick trial purchase for costs, you can get 4 sets of their 1:200 double rail (154cm of rails per set), shipped to New Zealand for around $9NZD. Postage to Australia for small parts like these usually takes around 7 days.

Whichever way you go, good luck with the rest of the build. A 1:200 ship can be quite daunting when new to the hobby but the best way to learn is to have no fear and dive right in there, you're off to a great start.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 02-08-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post

I did a quick trial purchase for costs, you can get 4 sets of their 1:200 double rail (154cm of rails per set), shipped to New Zealand for around $9NZD. Postage to Australia for small parts like these usually takes around 7 days.

Whichever way you go, good luck with the rest of the build. A 1:200 ship can be quite daunting when new to the hobby but the best way to learn is to have no fear and dive right in there, you're off to a great start.
Thanks for the link Jaffro, might just have to order some once i figure out the best railings for the Nagato.

Lol Ive made a number of mistakes on this build mostly from inexperience and not understanding (or reading) the instructions properly , stuffed up the hull to the point where Im going to have to either repaint the entire red area or display it in a diorama down to waterline, due to a run in with a good glass of Kiwi red wine O.o
Old 02-09-2019, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Making mistakes is the best way to learn, you may not come out of it with a perfect result every time, but you will learn a lot. In years to come, you'll look back on your first models and see just how far you've come, you don't get there without some mistakes along the way.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 02-10-2019, 11:13 AM

several days of progress has got me 2 more levels up the bridge superstructure, It's slow going at this point of the model as each level is now consisting of more and more parts but thankfully only about 4 more levels to go, had a play with refining the scratch built railing and decided the 3 rail ones look better and are easier to use, the two rail one that are on already will be carefully cut off towards the end of the build and replaced, Jaffro kindly sent me a link to laser cut ones and I had a look at them but decided that I have screwed up enough on this built not to warrant spending any money on the Nagato but will defiantly be ordering some for future builds
On friday I met though the course of my job a local guy that has several 3d high level commercial printers (he makes 1:100 war gaming stuff) and in the process of chatting to him about the Nagato has offered to design and print out some 1:200 figures for me as he might add them to his store.
Attached Thumbnails
Fly Models IJN Nagato-dsc_0743.jpg   Fly Models IJN Nagato-dsc_0744.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-11-2019, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice build you got there mate! Looks straight and clean.

Those "pagoda" style japanese bridges are quite complex, but in the end, it comes out beautifully.

I also like the textures and colouring of the model.

Kind regards

Ed
Old 02-17-2019, 01:53 AM

Another milestone of the Nagato build completed, last level of the Pergola bridge added , just all the AA guns, searchlights, various aerials and bits and bobs to add towards the end of the build to go, not going to add them yet as they will just get wiped off with my ham fisted building
Attached Thumbnails
Fly Models IJN Nagato-dsc_0897.jpg  
Old 02-22-2019, 10:49 PM

some more progress on the Nagato, managed to find one of those Maga makers that was a close match for the grey for doing edges , lol wish I had found it at the start of the build
Attached Thumbnails
Fly Models IJN Nagato-dsc_1019.jpg  
Old 03-04-2019, 12:22 AM

still battling away on the Nagato , at the point in the model where several hours of work result in little to show for it lol
Attached Thumbnails
Fly Models IJN Nagato-dsc_1135.jpg   Fly Models IJN Nagato-dsc_1132.jpg  
Old 03-17-2019, 12:19 AM

Some small gains on the Nagato over the last week, lol there's more paper pieces to the floatplane than it's 1/72nd scale plastic equivalent.
Attached Thumbnails
Fly Models IJN Nagato-dsc_1284.jpg   Fly Models IJN Nagato-dsc_1285.jpg   Fly Models IJN Nagato-dsc_1283.jpg  
Google Adsense