PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-01-2019, 12:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.78 MB
Fly Models IJN Nagato

My son bought me this model to cheer me up after my Father passed away in Dec of last year.
I only took up paper modelling in Dec as a healing process and am relatively new to paper card modelling having only completed the HMS Thunderchild DIo, a few of those World of Tanks 1:50th scale models and a few of the free Robototegnik kits Ive found off the net.

The Nagato is the biggest project to date and a real learning curve, one thing that I was struggling with was the extremely tiny parts and how to get them on the ship with out breaking them as I have carpel tunnel and don't always have great control over tweezers and tended to crush the delicate parts trying to place them on the ship,

The Mrs does Diamond panting as a hobby and I noticed that the diamonds that she sticks to the picture are really small the applicator that come with the kit has a small blob of replaceable sticky wax that holds the diamond long enough to stick it to the backing sheet, it is also absolutely perfect for transferring small delicate paper parts accurately to the model with no fear of crushing them, the wax holds the paper part with enough stick to position it and leaves no residue, best thing i have found for anyone with limited movement in their fingers.

progress so far, and please bear in mind this is my fist ever big paper ship model (the only other on was HMS Thunderchild War of the worlds one and about 10 models ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Fly Models IJN Nagato-dsc_0711.jpg   Fly Models IJN Nagato-dsc_0712.jpg   Fly Models IJN Nagato-dsc_0703.jpg  

Last edited by meece; 02-01-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-01-2019, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Thanks for the tip on the wax tipped applicator tool!

Also, you seem to be mastering the learning curve well.

Only one suggestion to improve the overall look: color the edges of your parts to hide or tone down the white. Many people have their favorite way on how to do this. I like Faber Castel Pitt pens but they can be expensive. For now you may just want to use a soft lead pencil to tone down the white a little.

Of course this is only a suggestion and certainly not required for you to have fun with this hobby. Main thing is to enjoy the build!

greg
Old 02-01-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelperry;

Only one suggestion to improve the overall look: color the edges of your parts to hide or tone down the white. Many people have their favorite way on how to do this. I like Faber Castel Pitt pens but they can be expensive. For now you may just want to use a soft lead pencil to tone down the white a little.

Of course this is only a suggestion and certainly not required for you to have fun with this hobby. Main thing is to enjoy the build!

greg
Hi Greg I plan to colour the edges but tend to do it at the end of the build as Im currently using water colours and lol ,l I usually only manage to match the colour perfectly once so do the whole lot in one hit
Old 02-04-2019, 01:43 AM

little bit more done on the Nagato,
Attached Thumbnails
Fly Models IJN Nagato-dsc_0718.jpg   Fly Models IJN Nagato-dsc_0719.jpg  
Old 02-04-2019, 01:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
Excellent tip on the diamond applicator -- never saw anything like this at craft stores. Where can these be found (brick and mortar store or online)?

Few people recall that the IJN Nagato was briefly commissioned into the US Navy as USS Nagato -- but that was just for the one-way trip to Bikini. Trivia question -- what other foreign battleship became an "USS"?

David T. Okamura
Google Adsense
Old 02-04-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dto View Post
Excellent tip on the diamond applicator -- never saw anything like this at craft stores. Where can these be found (brick and mortar store or online

David T. Okamura
Hi David I believe you can buy the daimond accessories kit that has several pens and wax sheets in it off Amazon or possibly eBay, being a kiwi I'm not sure how you would find them locally maybe a craft store that sells the diamond paintings?
Its def my go to for transfering those tiny little itemstoo small for tweezers to the model now
Old 02-04-2019, 05:32 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
https://paintwithdiamonds.com/collections/diamond-pens
https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Paint...idery-INFELING
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-05-2019, 06:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Meece, I built the Nagato many years ago, one of the 1st larger models I ever took on. If it helps, you can refer to images I placed on the Modelwarships gallery.

M o d e l W a r s h i p s . c o m - G a l l e r y
Old 02-05-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER FAN View Post
Meece, I built the Nagato many years ago, one of the 1st larger models I ever took on. If it helps, you can refer to images I placed on the Modelwarships gallery.

M o d e l W a r s h i p s . c o m - G a l l e r y
oh wow thanks for that Paper Fan, those photos are invaluable , the fly model instructions are hopeless! Ive got a long way to go before I can do a kit like this the justice you have
Old 02-05-2019, 03:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
All the best for this build, meece. It seems to be going pretty well so far. And I must look into obtaining one of those gadgets. Ta!
Google Adsense