PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-17-2019, 03:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 111.25 MB
Japanes submarine Soryu (free model)

Its been a while since I posted anything on the forum and after finally getting a chance to take a breath in the rush up to Christmas, decided to rectify it.

This kit has been on my "to do list" for some time and I built it pretty much "out of the box", rather than getting bogged down in making all kinds of tweaks. I was very pleased with the results.

The design is simple and most parts are on 2 A4 sheets (34 parts in total plus 1 one-piece stand). I reduced it from 1:200 to 1:250 scale , printed it onto 160gsm card and put 4 rather than the supplied 2 formers in the main hull section (and laminated them onto 1mm thick card).

The major change I made assembling the main hull was to cut the flaps off each hull section and then glue the the sections edge to edge with a strip of 80gsm paper wrapped around inside the join for strength and to ensure a smooth "look". Other than that I just opened out the observation bridge on top of the sail. The only real shortcoming in the model is the lack of formers in the end sections - you have to be very patient and slow to get them right. Lack of internal formers is a consistent problem with Japanese models I find. Again I cut off the flaps and used paper strips inside the joins to give the section transitions a smooth look. If I get time later I will try and source a better propeller from another sub model - the included one is very basic and I did not glue it in place for that reason.

2 half-evenings work and fun to build, though I must say that putting it together reminded me why I don't build models of planes :-)

The model can be found at : https://papermodel.jp/soryu-index.html

Note the first photo is from the designer's website, the rest are mine.

David Hathaway
(Paper Shipwright)
Attached Thumbnails
Japanes submarine Soryu (free model)-soryu_top.jpg   Japanes submarine Soryu (free model)-img_1251a.jpg   Japanes submarine Soryu (free model)-img_1252a.jpg   Japanes submarine Soryu (free model)-img_1253a.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-17-2019, 04:44 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
That's a nice model David and it came out well.

Nice also that you reduced it to 1/250.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the detailed information on your methodology for building this model, David.

And thanks for all the superb ship models you have provided over the years.

Don
Old 12-17-2019, 07:27 AM
Eternal Member

David - I echo Don's sentiments re the ship models you have provided.

I have only one further wish as regards those David - I wish they were available as downloads! So difficult for me to organise with non-existent postal services here!
Old 12-17-2019, 11:19 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Ver clean build.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:32 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Nice submarine David.
Next time you add a piece to "Paper Shipwright", it would be great fun to watch you develop, design and build it here on this forum. Many would enjoy it.
Regards,
Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 12-17-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 111.25 MB
Hi Michael (and others)

Thanks for the kind words about my models and the submarine build.

I would like to share a design and build project with the forum but my current rate of progress is so slow it would be like watching paint dry.

Regarding downloads - the current technology available means that I cannot offer my models as downloads safely (i.e. without the risk of piracy). As a (very) small publisher I don't have the resources to legally pursue every breach of copyright - so must be conservative in my approach. I have already seriously limited the countries I will post to, either because piracy is endemic (Russia) - or because post simply does not arrive (a lot of Africa). I apologize if that means you can't get my models easily but I have to be pragmatic.

I do have a couple of new model designs nearing completion so look out for news soon.

Regards

David
Old 12-19-2019, 07:53 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks for your reply, David.

"I would like to share a design and build project with the forum but my current rate of progress is so slow it would be like watching paint dry."

I am sure speed (or lack of) really does not matter! Go for it!

------------------------------
"Regarding downloads " etc.

I suspected something along those lines. It is a real shame David, but so it goes. I am one of those people stuck in Africa with a non-existent postal service that does not work. I have to bank on someone coming out from the UK and this I often only find out at too short a notice! As a result, most of the models I make are downloads - I enjoy buildings as well and fortunately, there are many paid download sites for these with some nice models. Enough to keep me busy for quite a while.

------------------------------

"I do have a couple of new model designs nearing completion so look out for news soon."

Looking forward to this - I always enjoy your models and the topics you choose.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
A very fine depiction of a very fine ship (Sub) with a very fine name/heritage. Very nice.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
As someone who has incomplete build threads and works-in-progress more than a decade old, I can assure you that slow progress is no bar to enjoying a build thread.

Add my name as one who would enjoy seeing anything that you build at whatever stage of completion.

Don
Google Adsense