PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-10-2009, 03:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
As promised, I will post some photos of the humble start of this Hunter. My 1st attempt did not turn out like I wanted! So when all else fails, build like the instructions say. Now after following the directions and careful work I have the beginnings of this outstanding model, of which I for one, am very impressed with. So far all formers are lining up and the assemble is straight. A good start to any build. Still have the side formers to cut and dry fit. After everything fits nice and straight, I will glue together. I do plain, here we go: to box in #1 Torpedo tube on right side to allow that door to be opened for firing the fish, I hope!. I also will flesh out the tip of the bow w/balsa and add additional stringers with balsa ribs. I am trying not to end up with the starved/rib look. Again, this is a option right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Das Boot Type VIIC 1/72 North Sea Camo-u-boat-type-vii-c-002.jpg   Das Boot Type VIIC 1/72 North Sea Camo-u-boat-type-vii-c-004.jpg   Das Boot Type VIIC 1/72 North Sea Camo-u-boat-type-vii-c-008.jpg   Das Boot Type VIIC 1/72 North Sea Camo-u-boat-type-vii-c-009.jpg  
Old 08-11-2009, 04:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Looks good!
The opening torpedo door sounds great. Can't wait to see that.

As to the "flesh out" ribs - carefully check where they are placed to make sure they are straight and not curved. I though about that while considering the additional ribs on my build.

EXAMPLE: I want to put stringers between the open spaces at the top of the hull section where the deck will join. It looks as simple as adding straight-cut cardboard or balsa stringers. But if we look at the shape of the horizontal former in the middle, it's curved, so I think the additional stringers will have to match the curve.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:28 PM

That is correct. So if you wish to add stringers/ribs, they will need to be curved to match the shape of the hull. For this reason, it will be challenging to do, if not done very carefully. But I believe if you take your time and keep everything lined up, it can be done. Just like stringing a FF. :DRick
Old 08-11-2009, 09:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB
Good to see some progress shots Rick. Great work. Very clean start.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:11 PM

Yes, this is a very good start! Can't wait to see some more.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:32 PM

Had to go to MD today, inflamed roto-cuff:(. Got some good meds but unable to use the arm for abit. Bear with me, will post soon the skin on the front section. Will admit, I do feel way better today after treatment than I have for the last 2 weeks.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:59 AM

Feel better soon, Rick.
Don't rush the healing, we'll stay with ya.

Look forward to your skinning the first section. I think on mine I'm going to build all of the main hull sections before printing and skinning.
This is my first watercraft model.

Your build looks great and is a good reference.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:14 AM

Thanks jagolden01, the MD put me on meds and they seem to be working. Feel pretty good today, may even work on sub some. Again thank you for your kind words.:DRick
Old 08-15-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
Feel better soon, Rick.
Don't rush the healing, we'll stay with ya.

Look forward to your skinning the first section. I think on mine I'm going to build all of the main hull sections before printing and skinning.
This is my first watercraft model.

Your build looks great and is a good reference.
Hey we think alike too!!!!!!! I thought about this and did cut the frame out to do just what you are referring too. However, mine did not turn out too great. Hope you have figured away to do this. It will allow a much better control of the alignment of the skins than building in sections and then putting together. The way the hull assembles is very much like a aircraft build and even in those you get alignment problems with the sections as they are brought together.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:28 PM

Actually I did mean in sections, but all 5 sections then skin each one, as opposed to the directions where it shows buld formers and skin, build formers and skin, etc.
Google Adsense