PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-09-2019, 08:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
WWI Submarine from Epinal Flickr

A number of weeks ago a link was posted to this site that has antique (many PD paper constructs)?
Browsing through the pages I came across this simple model of a submarine and. thought I'd like to tackle it. it has a certain charm in its simplicity.
The issue I ran into was the quality of the scan and some of the pieces, so I thought I'd have a go at redrawing it.
It's a bit of a compromise in spots as there are so many choices to be made between simply tracing/cleaning up some original pieces and/or closing to redraw and reconstruct major issues (such as the top of the subs hull is not symmetrical).
I think I've done a pretty good job so far. Just have to draw the life preservers and it will be ready for a test build.

I've finally left Adobe behind and am using all Serif/Affinity applications now. Though nothing difficult in this. redraw, it's the first time using Affinity Designer as opposed to Adobe Illustrator. Have to hunt around for where some tools are and figure out some new procedures (such as Adobe's simple and easy "clipping Path").
Attached Thumbnails
WWI Submarine from Epinal Flickr-epinal-sub-original.jpg   WWI Submarine from Epinal Flickr-redrawing-submarine.jpg  
Old 07-09-2019, 09:21 AM

Finished for Now. This is the final parts layout, arranged to get a little more size from the paper.
It's set up up as an 8.5" x 11" letter size.
Now to print, cut, and assemble.
Attached Thumbnails
WWI Submarine from Epinal Flickr-sub-parts-layout-final.jpg  
Old 07-09-2019, 09:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Thumbs up

That is a very nice, clean redraw.
I usually just try to remove the color cast and clean up the artifacts that are left then play around with the color balance and saturation.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:27 PM

Thanks SCEtoAUX!

Well, printed and built. It goes together pretty well, but as expected there are some minor fit issues because of the asymmetric hand drawing of the original. I may make a few adjustments and build again sometime.

This is supposed to be a slot-and-tab and hook joiner build so that’s the way I redrew it. However when I built it I cut of some of the tabs and used the slots as glue tabs.
Attached Thumbnails
WWI Submarine from Epinal Flickr-dc31f984-cc98-4a81-a74e-371a2af88da9.jpg   WWI Submarine from Epinal Flickr-983b005e-eee0-4bfd-87b4-293d8f3e6acb.jpeg   WWI Submarine from Epinal Flickr-97908b5f-55ec-4470-9aee-596a7f21f589.jpg   WWI Submarine from Epinal Flickr-4568ea6c-ebb8-4b24-8912-c7ad73c43207.jpg   WWI Submarine from Epinal Flickr-f7cf7f7e-6b2b-4f95-af11-be49c5162ff8.jpg  

Old 07-12-2019, 09:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
Very nicely done; I really enjoy the old Epinal models.
Google Adsense
Old 07-13-2019, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.75 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
Thanks SCEtoAUX!

Well, printed and built. It goes together pretty well, but as expected there are some minor fit issues because of the asymmetric hand drawing of the original. I may make a few adjustments and build again sometime.

This is supposed to be a slot-and-tab and hook joiner build so that’s the way I redrew it. However when I built it I cut of some of the tabs and used the slots as glue tabs.
I'd point out that if you do something like this with Inkscape, it's easier to tweak a few handles and then it's symmetrical... or just "mirror" the drawing.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanShort1 View Post
I'd point out that if you do something like this with Inkscape, it's easier to tweak a few handles and then it's symmetrical... or just "mirror" the drawing.
Thanks! I can do all that with Affinity Designer (or use my old Illustrator). The idea was to stay as true to the original as reasonable and not create from scratch.

The only open source software I’ll touch is Audacity for audio editing.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:26 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Nice job on the recolor. These old models can really be a challenge to build due in large part to their hand drawn inaccuracy, but your assembly has certainly hidden any defects.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
in case you'd like to know, this submarine model is part of the Marabout Junior models. Marabout was a Belgium publisher untill the 1980's.
The Marabout Junior series were adventure stories for the youth, a (simple) paper model was included with every issue

ship models published: SS United states, KMS Pinguin, t-2 tanker, USS Nautilus, several sailing vessels like yachts, HMS Bounty etc.

some scans are available on the internet, original copies of the Marabout Junior Series are still for sale on ebay, delcampe and other 2nd hand market sites
Old 07-13-2019, 12:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Thank you very much for sharing.
What is the scale of the final model?
Google Adsense