PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-13-2020, 11:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)

Here is my current build. Its a great one IMO. Its printed on 12 x 17 in (30.5 x 43 cm) paper, scale 1:250. I'm guessing its from the early 1990's and hand drawn. Still it looks great.

The hull is built using a typical style of bottom and beams. The hull sides are two pieces due to the bow arch but the main deck is all one piece.

The 01 level is also one piece however it was fiddely since it has to fit just right on the main deck bulkhead. The wings were a challenge as well but I was able to get it right by going slow. The area also has some difficult angles and positioning. Gave me a minor fit.

The instructions are just a series of line drawings so take it slow - cut and test fit 2or 3 times. So far no gafs that I haven't been able to fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-lutjens.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-hull-parts.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-parts-1.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-hull-1.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-hull-2.jpg  

Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-hull-3.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-01-level-1.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-bridge-area-3.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-aft-1.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-02-level-1.jpg  

Old 04-13-2020, 03:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
i like these whm modern german naval ships, were some of the first i built in the 80s
Old 04-13-2020, 04:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Were you able to buy this recently? I would love a copy for my Uncle- he served on an American version.
I just checked their site and it seems its not currently available...
Alan
Old 04-14-2020, 04:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 111.25 MB
Hi Beachhead,

This model is on my to-make pile and quite near the top so I will be watching this build with interest. The model was designed by Peter Brandt when he was working for Jade-Verlag and was published in 1980. He went on to design models for Moewe/Wilhelmshaven and HMV.

There are build reviews available on the net, e.g. :

https://www.die-kartonmodellbauer.de...pert/&pageNo=1

https://jabietz.de/kartonmodellbau/?cat=20

There does seem to be a body of evidence that the greys used in the model are too dark but most people seem happy to build it anyway.

Positive Rate - the model is out of print but you may be able to find a copy if you hunt. Suggest you drop an email to Diderick at Zeist Bouwplatten, he may have a copy.

Best wishes

David
Old 04-14-2020, 06:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
The Wilhelmshaven (Möwe) models are tops despite the fact that some are very old. Fine detail, not too difficult to make and nice fit. In my opinion, only two flaws: a) poor instructions. Some issues are a little hard to understand and could have better description and b) the worse flaw of all: Models are waterline. All ships printed by this concern are offered this way and this makes the models look funny over a display wooden stand. The solution would be to offer both possibilities as some Maly Modelarz and other models have. Those who like waterline, they have it and those who like full hull, as it should be, the kit includes the additional parts.
Google Adsense
Old 04-18-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive_Rate View Post
Were you able to buy this recently? I would love a copy for my Uncle- he served on an American version.
I just checked their site and it seems its not currently available...
Alan
as david said but you could also try marcle models page
Old 04-19-2020, 01:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Hi Herky,

Thanks - I already emailed Diederick at Zeist, just waiting to see if he has anything but thanks for the tip re Marcle, I'll try them too!

Alan
Old 04-19-2020, 11:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Big update.

So the bridge area is near complete, structure wise. The funnel went together really nice. Pretty happy with it. Those external supports as a real life design feature are....curious. Wonder what the internal bulkheads were like that they needed these external supports.

The aft section was a bit of a puzzle. The drawings show the parts but in a sequence I found to be a bit awkward. So I cut all of the parts then dry stacked them to get a feel for how to get them together. The back piece of this area was on a separate drawing so I cut it out so the that whole structure could be worked out. It has a lot of angles and curves.

Question. The aft funnel is covered which I remember so. However - was the forward one also covered? I tried finding pics but couldn't tell.

Overall I'm still really happy with this kit. Its a blast to put together.
Attached Thumbnails
Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-bridge-area-2.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-bridge-area-3.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-bridge-area-4.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-funnel-1.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-funnel-3.jpg  

Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-bridge-area-6.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-bridge-area-7.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-mid-island-1.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-mid-island-4.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-mid-island-7.jpg  

Old 04-19-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive_Rate View Post
Hi Herky,

Thanks - I already emailed Diederick at Zeist, just waiting to see if he has anything but thanks for the tip re Marcle, I'll try them too!

Alan
just checked out their catalogue toady , most of the german navy ones are still in there
Old 04-19-2020, 08:08 PM

Marcle Models Card Model KIt Catalogue - Ships, Aircraft, Military Vehicles, Transport, Architecture, Birds, Automata, Figures and Modelling Tools and Accessories.
Google Adsense