PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-06-2019, 08:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Do you know anyone in GTA who is building display cases?
I bookmarked one store JT Custom Acrylic but since had no business with them yet can't say anything positive or negative...

Darius*
Old 09-09-2019, 02:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olo View Post
Could you share how do you make them ? I am building HMS Hood and it is big model and looking forward to build one display case to protect her...Thanks
Sorry to sidetrack the thread a bit but I was just looking into display cases today. There are many available for sale online but for a larger ship it seems you'd be better off making your own, there are some tutorials available on youtube, it seems pretty straight forward, it's just a matter of finding a decent supply of the acrylic/perspex material at a good price, as long as you have the tools. There are also a number of companies close to where I live that can supply the plastic in any sizes and shapes you require, I imagine it would be a similar case in your area.

I seem to recall someone may have even posted a tutorial on display cases in this forum at some stage but haven't searched to try and find it. It may have been "loenf", as he puts all his models in cool little cases but don't quote me on that.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 09-20-2019, 03:19 PM

Finally got all the upper hull substructure parts cut out. There’s a lot. Here’s a Jaguar Class torpedo boat hull of the same scale for a size comparison:

A lot of the parts need scoring on the opposite side of the printed paper. I usually mark the ends of these lines with a pin hole:

Then score the lines between the holes:

Old 09-23-2019, 05:13 PM

With big model like this you might consider investing in Lightbox. Not a big investment btw... Check Amazon.
And now you can trace all lines on unprinted side with ease..
Attached Thumbnails
Bismarck, HMV, 1:250-lightbox_1.jpg   Bismarck, HMV, 1:250-lightbox_2.jpg  
Old 09-23-2019, 07:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.92 GB
Mein Gott!! Das Schiff ist wunderbar!
As for the swastikas, I would scan the deck parts, and flags as well. I would save them as pdf's or jpg's, and import them one piece at a time into Inkscpape.
Draw up a simple swastika on the page grid, with the pen tool. Then duplicate the drawing and layer it over the deck pieces and flag pieces. In Inkscape, you can play around with the scale of the swastika drawing to get it to fit within the white circles. On the decking in particular, you can play around with the swastika's opacity, to let deck planking show through.
When you have it looking the way you want it, 'group' the pieces together, save it as a pdf, and print it out on cardstock . If the scale is slightly off, you can rescale it in your printer's preferences, until you get the right size.
Inkscape is a free download, there are THOUSANDS of how to videos on youtube, and is, IMHO, by far the safest and easiest way to modify a piece without ever 'touching' your original kit piece.
Hope this helps, good building, please post more pics.
Tbolt 13
Google Adsense
Old 09-24-2019, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt13 View Post
Mein Gott!! Das Schiff ist wunderbar!
As for the swastikas, I would scan the deck parts, and flags as well. I would save them as pdf's or jpg's, and import them one piece at a time into Inkscpape.
Draw up a simple swastika on the page grid, with the pen tool. Then duplicate the drawing and layer it over the deck pieces and flag pieces. In Inkscape, you can play around with the scale of the swastika drawing to get it to fit within the white circles. On the decking in particular, you can play around with the swastika's opacity, to let deck planking show through.
When you have it looking the way you want it, 'group' the pieces together, save it as a pdf, and print it out on cardstock . If the scale is slightly off, you can rescale it in your printer's preferences, until you get the right size.
Inkscape is a free download, there are THOUSANDS of how to videos on youtube, and is, IMHO, by far the safest and easiest way to modify a piece without ever 'touching' your original kit piece.
Hope this helps, good building, please post more pics.
Tbolt 13

Thanks, the issue with scanning, editing and printing, is colour match with adjacent parts.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:57 AM

Got all the upper hull parts cut and scored, so I fixed the four base pieces together with their joiners:

Still not got a flat base, but it doesn’t matter for these bits.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:17 AM

Made a start on the sub-structure bulkheads:

Old 10-02-2019, 02:26 AM

I finally found a light weight IKEA shelf to build the hull on. I’ve put strips of Tamiya tape on it, and glued the structure to the tape with small dots if PVA. Hopefully, when it’s ready to transfer to a wooden plinth, I can peel the tape off along with the hull:

Bookmark
Watch
Old 10-03-2019, 02:33 PM

Substructure finished. Now for the real stuff...

Google Adsense