PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-12-2020, 09:29 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very clever idea, espeally the "reaming" tool!
Old 01-12-2020, 11:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 470.35 MB
I’ve got to say the amount of thought put into how to build a model from paper has been admirable. Following this thread has given me things to ponder and elements to incorporate into my next build. Keep it up.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalmaneser3 View Post
I’ve got to say the amount of thought put into how to build a model from paper has been admirable. Following this thread has given me things to ponder and elements to incorporate into my next build. Keep it up.

Thanks! Must admit, I'm finding building a large model from paper is more tricky than a small one for some reason - maybe the bigger parts are disproportionately more floppy than those on a smaller model.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
love the 3d printed tools, wish I had access to one. You make any other tools as well?
Old 01-13-2020, 03:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Thats a great idea!
Google Adsense
Old 01-13-2020, 04:55 PM

I'm not sure with type of paper HMV is using you're going to see much improvement by adopting scarf joints. This method works better on thicker stock, like .2 mm and higher. What I do is to cut out part first, the regular way mind you, and only after that I use blade #18 on unprinted side to shave off the edge at around 45*

Very nice idea with 3d printed tools.
With my current model under development I went for completed 3d printed hull frame and main deckhouses. Probably not everyone cup of tee but I like it. Makes the most important part of ship construction a lot more predictable.*
Attached Thumbnails
Bismarck, HMV, 1:250-buttjoint.jpg   Bismarck, HMV, 1:250-scarf_joint.jpg   Bismarck, HMV, 1:250-200_hunt_i_x2.jpg   Bismarck, HMV, 1:250-200_hunt_i_x3.jpg  
Old 01-14-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLab View Post
I'm not sure with type of paper HMV is using you're going to see much improvement by adopting scarf joints. This method works better on thicker stock, like .2 mm and higher. What I do is to cut out part first, the regular way mind you, and only after that I use blade #18 on unprinted side to shave off the edge at around 45*

Very nice idea with 3d printed tools.
With my current model under development I went for completed 3d printed hull frame and main deckhouses. Probably not everyone cup of tee but I like it. Makes the most important part of ship construction a lot more predictable.*

It's not really a scarf joint, its more cutting the paper so the mating egde is a thin as possible, thereby reducing the 'v' shaped gap you get as a result of the grind angle of a normal blade used perpendicular to the paper.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:10 AM

Smile

I prefer scarf name ( paper scarf ) rather than "Cutting Paper at Angle Instead of Perpendicular to Paper in Order to Reduce V Shaped Gap" or CPAIPPORVSG for short....
Old 01-14-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLab View Post
I prefer scarf name ( paper scarf ) rather than "Cutting Paper at Angle Instead of Perpendicular to Paper in Order to Reduce V Shaped Gap" or CPAIPPORVSG for short....

- but a scarf joint is a specific type of overlapping joint; this method doesn't overlap at all, so it might get confusing for folks if they read that and expect to have to cut matching pairs of angles through thin paper...

I don't think it has an equivalent name in woodworking, since it's possibly the weakest method imaginable to join adjacent sheets of material. It won't work without a backing strip.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:06 PM

Either way - looks great! Keep'em coming.