PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-06-2019, 05:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.21 GB
Barataria- Army Barrataria- Navy.

Except for the flag, parts were printed on old manila folder pages.

The bottom keel up to the deck was given several coats of Krylon clear acrylic
during the build process.

A third 24 pounder added at the bow just for show because the Barrataria had only two.

The stern wheel gun boat was covered with 1 inch ironclad by the confederates .
She was captured by the U.S. Army at New Orleans in April 1862. April 7,1863
She met disaster at 6:a.m. on a snag in Lake Maurepas at the mouth of the Amite River. Lake Maurepas is located in southeastern Louisiana approximately halfway between New Orleans and Baton Rouge*.

Alternately lightening ship and fighting off guerrillas all day with her two guns and rifle fire by Col. Thomas S. Clark and a company of the 6th Michigan Volunteers, Acting Ensign James F. Perkins, USN, and his command were unable to free*Barrataria,*even after jettisoning the bow gun and emptying her boiler. The ship was fired at sunset, and her magazine blew up soon after all hands had escaped in small boats.

Barataria …one R was the Army’s spelling and Barrataria…two Rs was the Navy Spelling.

BP
Old 10-06-2019, 10:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penikas View Post
Barataria …one R was the Army’s spelling and Barrataria…two Rs was the Navy Spelling.
Since my Dad was in the Navy and my brother was in the Army, I'm going to say they are both correct!

That thing about the spellings got me curious: putting vessel's name in Google finds this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barataria_Bay
Quote:
Barataria Bay, also Barrataria Bay, is a bay of the Gulf of Mexico, about 15 miles (24 km) long and 12 miles (19 km) wide, in southeastern Louisiana, in Jefferson Parish and Plaquemines Parish, United States. It is separated from the gulf by two barrier islands, Grand Isle and Grand Terre.[1]

The bay takes its name from the Spanish novel Don Quixote, in which the insula Barataria, or Barataria island, appears as a fictional territory governed by Sancho Panza.[2][3]
And this,https://www.historycentral.com/docum...ION/Island.htm
Quote:
... And in compliance with that recommendation, as well as in consideration of all the other extraordinary circumstances of the case, I, James Madison, President of the United States of America, do issue this proclamation, hereby granting, publishing, and declaring a free and full pardon of all offenses committed in violation of any act or acts of the Congress of the said United States touching the revenue, trade, and navigation thereof or touching the intercourse and commerce of the United States with foreign nations at any time before the 8th day of January, in the present year 1815, by any person or persons whomsoever being inhabitants of New Orleans and the adjacent country or being inhabitants of the said island of Barrataria and the places adjacent: Provided, That every person claiming the benefit of this full pardon in order to entitle himself thereto shall produce a certificate in writing from the governor of the State of Louisiana stating that such person has aided in the defense of New Orleans and the adjacent country during the invasion thereof as aforesaid. ...

Done at the city of Washington, the 6th day of February, in the year 1815, and of the Independence of the United States the thirty-ninth.

By the President: JAMES MADISON.
JAMES MONROE, Secretary of State.
So it would appear there is a long history of the one r or two r variation.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Great build. Looks good.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
Great model. It really looks as though it's been either through the wars or some really nasty pieces of the river. Well done.

Derek