PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-07-2020, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireandpaper View Post
Nevertheless, I am not sure that these very successful gunboats belong here, since their very important actions were in a lake.
You're right when you look at the definition of the word coastal, but I still think they fit right into your series of vessels, as they were labeled motor launches and motor launches were originally designed for sea/coastal duties (harbour defense and search and rescue)
Lake Tanganyika is the second largest body of fresh water in the world, maximum length is 673 km, maximum width is 72 km and maximum depth is about 1400 meter....this is much deeper than the deepest point in the North Sea or the English Channel....

The model look great again, and the crew figures give an extra dimension to it. In what scale, 1/400 or larger......Are you planning to add a commanding officer in skirt and tattoos?
Old 09-11-2020, 01:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Dear All:

I just want to mention that Gerry 1966, just posted a collection of PT boats in 1/400, my favorite scale. He recolored and upgraded the 1/600 80' Elcos by Waynemac and the 1/200 77' Elcos and 78' Higgins by me. I particularly liked the PT-66 in field camouflage and includes one adaptor (zebra) scheme.

Gerry Paper Models - new models from ships collection
Old 09-11-2020, 01:34 AM

Mimi and TouTou

Dear All:

Please find attached the little gunboats of the Royal Navy that enabled the control of Lake Tanganyika in 1/200.

I f you need some other scale or have questions please send me a PM.

I hope you like them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mimi and Toutou WireandPaper No 036.pdf (126.7 KB, 78 views)
Old 09-11-2020, 09:08 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
I like!

Common for that part of the world originally when I was little I have always had an interest in these vessels and the history from then.

Here's TouTou for those not familiar with the vessels...

Quite a modern looking vessel in some ways!

Attached Thumbnails
Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-hms-mimi-1915.jpg  
Old 09-21-2020, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireandpaper View Post
Dear All:

I just want to mention that Gerry 1966, just posted a collection of PT boats in 1/400, my favorite scale. He recolored and upgraded the 1/600 80' Elcos by Waynemac and the 1/200 77' Elcos and 78' Higgins by me. I particularly liked the PT-66 in field camouflage and includes one adaptor (zebra) scheme.

Gerry Paper Models - new models from ships collection
I usually build one model per class, but in this case, I liked very much the recolor by Gerry that I started to build it. Here is the work in progress.

ps in the case of the PT boats, MTB and MGB its like trying to build only one Me-109. There are so many variants and sub models that it is very difficult to choose!
Attached Thumbnails
Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pict2733.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pict2734.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-19-2020, 02:04 AM

PT-66 Done

Dear All:

After some detours into the Aviation section I am back to report that the PT-66 is done.
It needed the armament. After some research I discovered that it had a Cal 50 MG in her bow. I omitted the Deep Charges that show in the few pictures available.

You will see a family picture of the ELCO 77': an early model in gray, the gunboat conversion and the locally camouflaged PT-66.

Thank you again Gerry.
Attached Thumbnails
Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pict2859.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pict2860.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pict2862.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pict2863.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pict2864.jpg  

Old 11-22-2020, 02:21 AM

Time for another project

All of you are doing such nice and detailed models!!!
Well, I think for me, it is time to do design another simple one pager.
Attached Thumbnails
Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pict2866.jpg  
Old 11-22-2020, 08:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Always glad to see an amphib, Pablo!

dON
Old 11-22-2020, 10:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
dear Pablo,
great post, thanks for the lots of information and sharing!

Regards, Joe
Old 11-24-2020, 02:20 AM

The Mighty Midgets

Thank you, Don and Joe:

Strictly speaking the LCS(L)3 were designed to be support vessels for landing operations but found many other tasks to perform. During the war they were used in costal operations hunting for Japanese barges with their superb firepower, in radar picket duty, or as fireboats.

After the war more than half of them went to serve allied nations and the original classification and design got fuzzy. Paradoxically around 50 were transfer to Japan their former foe! Many went to work in coast guard duties and a number, first with France and then with South Vietnam, in riverine warfare. At least one of them went to serve in the Royal Thai Navy into this century. Now on display in Vallejo, California.

This LCS(L) 102 seems to be the source of the graphics of War of Thunder, and when the pandemia ends is in my to do list for a vacation visit (given that La Patrona allows). In general, I found it exceedingly difficult to find good plan views of the class with one prevalent diagram of what seems to be the prototype. I based my design in this plan view.

The model is a little to big (the actual vessel just short of 50m) for a letter one pager in 1/200 (it would be a little less than 25 cm) , so the final model will be in my standard 1/400, aligning with JSC, Gerry, and Bernie.
Attached Thumbnails
Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-lcsl.jpg  
Google Adsense