PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-23-2019, 04:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Marabout Vedette Rapide

Dear All;
I found solid information for the postwar Vosper Air Sea Rescue 68's, some other information about a "western approaches" Vosper 73' and no information about a Vosper 30 m. So I scale this as it was a 73' although I took a lot of licenses. I included my monochromatic first attempt, slightly larger, at about 77' and the rescue Scott-Pain fast boat for comparison, and an unmarked escapee from France.

ps: If you have any solid info on the Vosper 73' rescue launch please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-resc1.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-resc2.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-resc3.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-resc4.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-resc5.jpg  

Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-resc6.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-resc7_crop.jpg  
Old 11-23-2019, 01:12 PM

Found it. It was in front of my nose, in RAF High Speed Launches:
RAF Boats
Old 11-25-2019, 05:34 PM

Back dated S-Boot

Once I had the Schnellboot by Wilhelmshavener, I tried to back date it with the open torpedo tubes. I think it is ok. The only problem is the oversized bridge which I did not attempted to reduce.
Attached Thumbnails
Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-s-boot-1.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-s-boot-2.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-s-boot-3.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-s-boot-4.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-s-boot-5.jpg  

Last edited by wireandpaper; 11-25-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemac View Post
"Fast Fighting Boats 1870-1945" by Harald Fock, Naval Institute Press, 1978 has info and drawings on the Italian boats, MAS and VAS, pre-war and WW2. The coverage of Japanese boats is a bit skimpy, limited to a dozen or so side views; no overheads or cross-sections. There is significant text on both nations' boats.

Wayne
Dear Wayne, I got a used book from Amazon for a very reasonable price. It is worth to get it if you are interested in these little craft. It has a lot of new information for me, and many potential prospective designs that may deserve a few "what-ifs."

I wish I had this book a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-ffb01.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-ffb02.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-ffb03.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-ffb04.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-ffb05.jpg  

Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-ffb06.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-ffb07.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-ffb08.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-ffb09.jpg  
Old 12-03-2019, 06:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
I got my copy more than 10 years ago, I think from Ebay.
Google Adsense
Old 12-08-2019, 02:21 AM

Elco 80'

Thank you Wayne:

Some time ago after I did a few torpedo and gunboats I try to do from scratch an Elco 80'. At that time I had limited info but I had the experience of my previous boats and I approached if it was pl...ic. the boat is painted, not printed.
Today I have a lot more info and examples.
Attached Thumbnails
Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pt01.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pt02.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pt03.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pt04.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pt05.jpg  

Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pt06.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pt07.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pt08.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pt09.jpg  
Old 12-08-2019, 07:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nice little flotilla of coastal warships.

Incidentally, the earliest usage I can find of the term "Mosquito Fleet" to describe a force of small naval combatants is 1823, when Commodore David Porter of the U.S. Navy took command of the anti-piracy West India Squadron of small warships and craft based at Key West, Florida, including the armed barge Mosquito. Porter's command was known colloquially as the "Mosquito Fleet."
https://www.history.navy.mil/content...squito-ii.html
https://www.history.navy.mil/content...fs/g/gnat.html
Pauline's Pirates & Privateers: History: The Mosquito Fleet

The term may also have been applied to the New Orleans Squadron during the War of 1812, but I haven't been able to find a citation.

Don
Old 12-12-2019, 01:49 AM

Additional sources

My first glance at the PTs was from the TV, just to learn much later that that boat PT-73 was not an Elco but a Vosper! Little by little I have been getting better references, either consulting from a library or by tips from fellow papermodelers and Amazon. Recently I got the Polish Extra Model's PT-171 which is a simple one pager in 1/100.
Attached Thumbnails
Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pt10.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pt11.jpg  
Old 12-12-2019, 02:08 AM

Elco 80' from Extra Model

The simple model in 1/100 was ideal to be reduced 25% to 1/400. I had to omit or simplify a few details but included some wire and paper for the armament and rail-guards. The first pictures show the model "emerging" from the reduction.

Building the Elco 80' is like building a Me-109 there is a lot of potential for recolors.

I know that there is at least a version for the PT-10 to 19 series, and a few versions of the Elco 80' by AirDave.

I see a need for ELCO 77' and a Higgins 78'. Anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pt12.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pt13.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pt14.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pt15.jpg   Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pt16.jpg  

Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations-pt17.jpg  
Old 12-21-2019, 02:13 AM

Elco 77' Gunboat conversion

Dear All:

Please find attached my interpretation of the Elco 77' Gunboat conversion in 1/200. She has two 40mm Bofors without the torpedo tubes and added 50 cal machine guns, the ultimate barge busting machine.

At least there were three converted boats: PT 59 (skipped at one time by no other than JFK) to PT 61. Hopefully soon, I will post the 1/400 that I built.

Very important, before you glue the twin 50 Cal station cylinders, dry fit them to the cabin/deckhouse. These are very sensitive to the thickness of your paper. I hope you like it.

ps: Soon to come the original torpedo boat version of the Elco 77'
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 022 WireandPaper PT Elco 77' Gunboat.pdf (273.9 KB, 88 views)
Google Adsense