PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-10-2020, 02:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Tartan after Chapman

Because I was testing the method of construction Seahorse introduced with his kit 'Duyfken' I chose the drawing of a simple vessel (that is: the shape is simple) for a scratch built model. ([N] VOC Duyfken 1606 - 1/2019 Wydawnictwo "Seahorse") Seahorse shows how a paper model can be made without the use of filler and building the kit I was surprised to see how effective the method is. I prefer scratch built models because I am not very good with kits.
I chose a Tartan from F.H. af Chapman's book Architectura Navalis Mercatoria (1775) Plate LVII No 16, because of its simple lines. I hardly do foreign ships and as expected I ran into loads of questions of which I had no answers. For many of them I am still guessing.

Tartan after Chapman-lijnenplan.jpg Tartan after Chapman-tuigage.jpeg

The method proved to work also when used for scratch built models, although Seahorse makes very fine lower planking and mine was a bit rough. For that reason I did use a tiny bit of filler, just on one side, to see if the difference showed in the end. It hardly did. The process was so quick that I forgot to take pictures until the whole hull was planked with the white self-adhesive wood-imprinted plastic strips I always use.

Tartan after Chapman-img_0760.jpg Tartan after Chapman-img_0761.jpg Tartan after Chapman-img_0762.jpg Tartan after Chapman-img_0763.jpg Tartan after Chapman-img_0764.jpg

I read that the tartan was a ship type often used by North African corsairs and though I hate the ignorant popular pirate stories we are usually bombarded with I decided to make mine a pirate. There must be many mistakes in this model, but shortly before finishing me and my son received the request to create a book sleeve for a book about a Dutch fluit that was taken by a Barbarian corsair. Pure coincidence...

Tartan after Chapman-img_0770.jpg Tartan after Chapman-img_0771.jpg Tartan after Chapman-img_0773.jpg Tartan after Chapman-img_0776.jpg

In my opinion it has become a charming little model (Scale 1/77 and a total length of 30 cm) with several not too disturbing flaws and I learned from it, that colouring sails is an art in itself. I will have to learn a lot. I used acrylic paint for it. The human figures were altered 'English sailors' from a company called 1001 Hobbies (https://www.1001modelbouw.nl/figuren...6-17th-century), which I altered using some two component putty called Milliput. I tried to change them into some sort of bloodthirsty cut throats, but I'm not sure I succeeded. For a next model I would choose to bend the yards slightly, but once I decided that it was too late, the sails were already attached.
My pictures are lousy, but after my son will have done his job with the book sleeve I promise to send better ones, together with the end result.
Google Adsense
Old 02-10-2020, 05:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Who needs a kit with your skill level? No idea what the flaws are, it looks like a great boat to me.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
That turned out quite well...
Old 02-10-2020, 06:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
All of your ship and watercraft models are always thoroughly researched and beautifully built. I always enjoy the seafaring history and information on ship construction and modeling methods that you share with us.

Don
Old 02-10-2020, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
That is a very fine looking vessel. You did a very good job in the build from scratch. Nice weathering on the sails, the rigging looks great, and nice set of crewmen.
Google Adsense
Old 02-10-2020, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Outstanding work with a great write-up on the process!
Old 02-10-2020, 07:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
I am always impressed of your models and the precision you build them in. Can you, again, explain what makes the Seahorse model construction method, so special compared to other models ??

Regards.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Ab,
I am a fan of your models and their "natural" look, suited to the scale and purpose for which you build them. The culmination of your works are beautiful compositions made by your son. And of course it is an honor for me that you built my model (thank you again for all the comments that you sent me via e-mail).
I wonder if the construction without filling took less time and how did you do it? Have you used any graphics program or maybe the "try on method"?

Best
Tomek
Old 02-10-2020, 07:06 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Fine craftsmanship.
You make history come alive.
Mike
Old 02-10-2020, 09:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 205.96 MB
Very, very nice looking build!! I have one started in wood that every once in a while I get to spend a few minutes on...…but yours looks much better! Beautiful build!
Google Adsense