PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-02-2020, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
RF Liberté 1:250 Design and Build

One of my favorite-looking ship designs will be the object of my modeling work. Liberté was one of a class of 4 ships that were nearly identical in all substantial ways, and only a small bit different from a previous class of 2 ships with smaller secondary armament.

The first 2 and earlier ships were named République and Patrie. Along with a main battery of 4 12 in. guns in two large turrets they carried a secondary armament of 18 6.4 in. guns scattered between 6 smaller turrets (2 per turret) and hull mounts.

The later ships (Démocratie, Justice, Liberté and Verité) were modified before being laid down to carry instead a secondary armament of 7.6 in. guns. Since these guns were much heavier mounts the ships 10 of them, with six in turrets and 4 hull mounted.

These were very fine ships compared to earlier battleships. For instance they were large enough to be well compartmented so that they wouldn't be subject to the rapid flooding and rolling in the case of large waterline hits.

The six ships were laid down between Dec. 1901 and Apr. 1903 but took about 5 years to complete. In that time the concept of what constituted a line of battle ship changed in a sudden way with the building and launching of Dreadnought in only 12 months.

Liberté herself never made it to serve in the Great War. In 1911 her forward magazines spontaneously ignited and exploded while she was anchored in Toulon with a reduced crew.

The ships were all around 14,500 tons displacement and 440 long between perpendiculars. They were propelled by three screws and are listed at 19 knots.

Immediately after launch, Liberté was painted black below with tan upperworks but all 6 ships were painted in a French navy grey for most of their careers.

I attach an overall photo of Liberté.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
-liberte-marius-bar.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-02-2020, 02:17 PM

The early part of the scratchbuild process for me begins with building a CAD model and then gradually refining it until the different parts can be laid out flat and assembled without too much mess.

So after a few days of work I have an adequate upper hull, with decks to serve as the basis for adding the rest.

The images that accompany this post show the cutouts for the 7.6 in. hull mounted guns, for and aft.

The hull color is an approximation of the French warship grey and the decks were covered with linoleum.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
-z98-liberte.jpg   -z99-liberte.jpg  
Old 03-02-2020, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Glad to see another of your historic turn-of-the-last century warships under development.

Thanks for the background information.

Don
Old 03-02-2020, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Are you getting your Rhino problems sorted out?
Old 03-02-2020, 06:22 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Looking forward to it.
Bonne chance!
Google Adsense
Old 03-02-2020, 06:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Agree with Don about seeing another one your ships in development. Don't build them or even know much about then; but like watching your design process and the background information you provide.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:35 PM

Don, I've never know how to express it.... however, it just makes me so happy to see make an appearance. Also, I figure that a lot of folks who drop by probably know nothing about French ships so I try to help!

Fred, no the problems I had with Rhino were incurable but it did force me to make a clean start. And I have spent so many years staring at photos and plans of these ships that I have a better understanding of how things needed to fit together. Plus I am at a stage where I don't look for the perfect solution anymore but am content with one that fulfills the design needs. The hull sides, with belts are made of four pieces I think, instead of the one I prefer.
I'll figure out how to split them up later for a build. And the build might be interesting in a unique way since I have a newer and superlative printer that HATES printing on cardstock!

Michael, I know how keen you are on the details and the building. I wonder if you and Fred will want a shot at it. (?)

Carl
Old 03-02-2020, 06:35 PM

Hey Whulsey, geez it is good to see you!

Carl
Old 03-03-2020, 12:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 440.44 MB
Hello Carl,

great to see you back at the construction table!
Please be so kind and answer my PM.

Regards

Wiwo
Old 03-03-2020, 11:27 AM

Hey Wiwo, I'm having difficulties figuring out a reply! My internet provider suddenly is not allowing me to send mail and I have been struggling.

Carl
Google Adsense