PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-25-2020, 08:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow - what a lot of work and well done.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
Thanks Beachead. It really hasn't been all that much work up until half way through the hull planking. I have to progress more carefully now with the planking. But, it's coming along.

While waiting on paint and glue to dry, I went ahead and started to work on the sail. It's one large square sail with a bonnet laced below, effectively creating on larger sail.

I started painting the sail using the mixture described in the instructions. The color comes out quite well, like weathered cotton cloth. This, like other paint, was thinned down, so it wouldn't hide the printed (laser-etched?) lines in the cloth.

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0532.jpg

The sail also has a shield painted on it and a pattern on the sides of the sail. The instructions weren't quite as clear on the mixture for the red coloring. I think it was trying to say to mix in the sail color mixture with the red. I did that and added a touch of black paint.

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0533.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0534.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0535.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0539.jpg

Enjoyed the construction break doing the painting. Took me a couple days to finish it up.

Blog: shipmodeler.wordpress.com
Old 03-28-2020, 04:30 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
This kit gets consistently good reviews by the builders.
Nice work. The hull, with all the fine details looks good.
Mike
Old 03-29-2020, 06:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
That sail painting looks very realistic, along with the rest of the build!
Old 03-29-2020, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the nice comments eatcrow2 and Mike.

I think in some ways it's going to get a little more complicated with all the exposed framing to be added shortly. Should be interesting though.

Google Adsense
Old 04-04-2020, 09:08 PM

I managed to add the ribs. There is more framing to go on the model. Looks a bit complicated, but it's probably not as difficult as it looks.

I did have some difficulty keeping track of all the small rib parts. They're all different, and are shaped to fit the clinker-style hull planking. Unfortunately, with things this precisely engineered, the modeler has to build it just as precisely or things don't line up exactly.

My hull planking is just a tad low, by abput 2 millimeters or so, but I don't think this will be a big problem in the end. It's just that if you look really closely, you can see this as yet another imperfection in the build.

On the shelf, it should look pretty good.

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0592.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0594.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0595.jpg

Old 04-06-2020, 03:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
The colour is wonderfully realistic- little variations in the shade of the wood for differernt planks.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 439.73 MB
Hi there Very good work, congratulations
Old 04-29-2020, 01:00 AM

Thanks folks for the nice comments.

I managed to get the last hull planks put into place last week and noted that I'm going to have to do something to adjust the timber heads that I recently added. I'm expecting I will have to trim off the excess, and I'm hoping that this doesn't cause any problems later in the build.

To easy the trimming of the timber heads, I touched each one with thin CA glue. This soaks into the cardboard immediately, and it makes the part stiff, like plastic. Afterwards, I'm going to leave the timber heads alone (won't trim them) until later one.

In the meantime, I added the planks to the deck. I got smart and wrote the part numbers on the parts in pencil(!).

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0682.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0684.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0685.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0686.jpg

Old 11-08-2020, 03:47 PM

I've been away from this project a little bit, but I finally got back to it recently. I'm going to put some time into my model making projects for a bit, and this is definitely one that's not so difficult, since all the parts are pre-cut. The painting is a bit tricky to get looking okay, but so far, I'm moderately happy with that aspect of the model.

I hadn't realized that it's been so long since I've posted here. There were actually some things I've done more than a month ago, but most of my progress has been in the last week.

I'm a little concerned about how the slightly low bulwarks of my model will affect the addition of the stern castle section, but there's really nothing I can do until I go to add that section. It's just a "wait and see" proposition. So, no point in worrying about it too much – I just have to press on with the build.
Attached Thumbnails
Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1323.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1332.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1336.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1341.jpg  

Google Adsense