PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-08-2020, 03:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
Mounting the rudder was probably the trickiest part of the build. It involved adding wire pins and little tiny plastic tubes for the hinge mechanism. Technically, the rudder should be movable, but I'll be adding rudder tackles, as per the instructions, which will hold the rudder into a fixed position.

I was a little worried about adding those rudder straps too, but they turned out okay I thought.
Attached Thumbnails
Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1536.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1534.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1535.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1537.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1539.jpg  

Blog: shipmodeler.wordpress.com
Old 11-08-2020, 04:08 PM

Finally, before rigging the rudder, I decided to work on the stern castle assembly. It was nice to work on big parts instead of the tiny parts of the blocks and rudder assembly. No alignment issues to worry so much about here.

The only thing I realize that I don't like about these laser-cut kits, is that thicker parts are made from thick card stock, which isn't nearly as sturdy as a bunch of thinner, laminated sheets. These thicker card pieces buckle or start to fall apart if you apply too much pressure to them.

I've been working on another project where I've had to laminate 5 sheets of computer printer paper together to get the part up to the proper thickness, and those parts end up very sturdy. Still, the laser cut parts sure save time!
Attached Thumbnails
Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1537.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1539.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1556.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1557.jpg  

Old 11-09-2020, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hi Clare,

Outstanding job on painting the wooden planks and structures! Truly amazing. You achieved what many papermodelers want to achieve: that the model does not look like paper at all!! Bravo!

As to the soft thick cardboard parts: I like to apply some CA (cyanoacrylat) on those pesky wobbly card-parts to make them hard and sturdy (for instance in my Mayflower build for the Mayflower emblem). But be careful because the CA changes the color of the part, can cause a glossy look or even react with the paint...! Best is to try out first on some of the frame parts.

When I built my Cog, I used the plans from Maly Modelarz but instead of card I decided to go for balsa wood. You can see the results here.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Radek
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 11-09-2020, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the kind words Radek.

Yes, I've found that CA works wonders on card. Since I tend to paint the models, even the printed ones, the small amount of staining doesn't really bother me. In fact, that's why I started painting the models.

In the end, I found I preferred to paint, as it made the models look more natural, at least to my eye.

I'll try to keep up the progress on the cog.

Clare

Old 11-19-2020, 10:28 PM

Minor update – constructed the upper side of the stern castle, which required painting more nail heads. Mated the two sections together and started piecing together other parts needed for the next step.

Clare
Attached Thumbnails
Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1559.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1599.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1600.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1609.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1610.jpg  

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1607.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 11-23-2020, 01:05 PM

Details added to stern castle, plus an appearance test of the stern castle on the hull. It's going to take some fiddling to get all parts of the stern castle to fit correctly.

One discovery I did make is that once the tiller ropes are rigged, there is no way to fit the stern castle structure to the deck, except by removing the tiller from the end of the rudder. I didn't see anything in the instructions that tell you not the glue the tiller into place. But, it was such a snug fit, that I never glued it. So, I got lucky.

Only later, do the instructions show the tiller, free of the rudder, allowing you to fit the stern castle into place. Once in place, the tiller can be re-attached to the rudder.

I'm not quite at that stage yet, but I'm getting very close now. The rigging thread that is included in the kit is all white. So, it's needs to be dyed or stained. I happen to have some very old bottles of rigging stain that I wanted to try out again. It's from the old Floquil brand, and they seem to stick mix up well, even after sitting for some 20 years. So, I thought I'd give these a try on this model.

I prepared some line for the tiller ropes and also for some line to secure a few blocks into place on the model, and managed to do a little rigging. There's a little more to do before I mount the stern castle into place.

Clare
Attached Thumbnails
Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1612.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1620.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1623.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1625.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1611.jpg  

Old 11-24-2020, 12:57 PM

Nice work!

Very enjoyable to watch your clean built! Bravo!

-Radek
Old 11-25-2020, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
That looks great. I like the planking inside the stern and sides, looks cool.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:08 PM

Thanks Radek and Glen! I appreciate the nice comments.

More progress as I permanently mounted the stern castle structure. Wasn't easy, as there are a number of contact points, and there is some flex in the structure. I had to reach underneath with long, narrow piece of wood to put pressure on the windlass assembly in order to get it to fit into place.

I think Shipyard should have just made the vertical supports extra long with slots in the deck to fit into. That would allowed for some variance in the way the whole stern castle structure fits into place. As it was, I had to apply a bit of extra pressure to hold everything down into place until the glue set. A little bit of paint afterwards hides any issues pretty well.

So, now the stern castle is in place and I'm now working on these structures that hold the deadeyes. On later ships, the deadeyes were outboard of the hull and mounted on chain wales, or channels. On the cog, they are mounted inboard of the hull and mounted on inboard frameworks – kind of "ingrown" channels.

In the last photos, the model is next to another 1/72-scale model, but a wooden kit of a Japanese coastal transport from a Japanese manufacturer called Woody Joe. That model is very close to completion. I basically just need to add the sail and wrap up the rigging. While it's a wooden kit, it's probably a good subject for a card version.

Anyway, the Japanese ship is specifically a type of coastal transport called a Kitamaebune (key-tah-mah-eh-boo-nay). This is specifically one from the early 19th century. But, similar ships have been built since the early 1600s.

Clare
Attached Thumbnails
Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1628.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1629.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1631.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1633.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1635.jpg  

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1636.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1637.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1638.jpg  

Old 11-26-2020, 03:29 PM

Hi!

Excellent work on the stern castle! Very nice close-up pictures!

So which one was now the paper-model??

-Radek
Google Adsense